• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam.cath
    • Dec 2014
    • Sunshine Coast

Spare wheel cover bolts

Have a quick question as we have only recently purchased our first Pajero & was having a good look around it & as such undid the 2 big bolts that hold the cover over the spare wheel closed.
    When I went to put it back together after having a good look, I noticed that the bolts weren't going all of the way in & as such the spare wheel holder had a bit of play as it wasn't being pulled in tight enough.
    I solved this with putting a few washers on the bolts which meant that it now pulled the spare wheel cover in fully.

Is this normal??

Is it possible for these bolts or the threads they go into, to become threaded & therefore not screw in fully to the spare wheel cover?

Has anyone else struck this before on their Pajero??

I wondered about getting a thread making tool & trying to redo the threads in the wheel cover.

It is doing the job at the moment, but I'm just curious as to whether this is how it's meant to be, or if mine has had some damage to either the bolts or threads they go into, which is stopping them going fully in.

Hope that this makes sense??

Thanks,
    Sam
    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

i have never noticed any thing odd with those bolts,but i think they are different lengths??
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Rovingman
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2014
      • Blue mountains

One of my MM monkeys must have rattle gunned it as i took it back as it was rattling, they re threaded it.
      So if you have had a service recently? rotations maybe who ever took it of, take it back they will have the tools to do it.
      Pajero NT RX 2011
      Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
      LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• sam.cath
        • Dec 2014
        • Sunshine Coast

Sounds like the likely cause Rovingman.
        Hadn't thought of this, but it makes complete sense.

I haven't had it serviced recently, so no recourse sadly.

Will have to live with it, or maybe buy some new bolts.

Thanks,
        Sam
        2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Common problem - these nuts are easily stripped.

Important not to over-tighten these bolts (refer handbook).

They are not wheel nuts - they only hold the cover closed - gently tighten with light pressure only on a hand wrench - tell the tyre guys/mechanics NO RATTLE GUNS!

If you look inside the cover, you will see the ordinary nuts tacked in there.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
            Common problem - these nuts are easily stripped.

Important not to over-tighten these bolts (refer handbook).

They are not wheel nuts - they only hold the cover closed - gently tighten with light pressure only on a hand wrench - tell the tyre guys/mechanics NO RATTLE GUNS!

If you look inside the cover, you will see the ordinary nuts tacked in there.
            Yep, mine had the same issue when I bought it. I ended up buying two good second hand bolts from the wreckers (you need genuine MM bolts so the head is the same size as the wheel brace), cut off the old 'nuts' and welded on new high tensile nuts on.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• sam.cath
              • Dec 2014
              • Sunshine Coast

Thanks geopaj.
              Great idea!!

2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...