• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xs3.steve
    • Mar 2019
    • Bathurst nsw

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Hi fellas
    New to forum so please be gentle....I have an 89 NF super wagon and im doing the heads up and anything else on the way...
    Now the problem,at the moment im trying to get the Crank Pulley off and i am wondering if anyone can tell me if the bolt is right or left hand threaded..
    Thanks in advance Steve

PS its a V6 Petrol manual...
    Last edited by xs3.steve; 21-04-19, 04:42 PM.
  • TomW
    • Mar 2017
    • Melbourne

Its just a regular right handed thread bolt, nothing special. An impact wrench usually gets it fairly easily.

Comment

• xs3.steve
      • Mar 2019
      • Bathurst nsw

Hi Tom thanks for that...Tried undoing it and i could get it to move but then it locked up again...
      Ill keep trying... Thanks again....Steve

Comment

• motorazr
        • Aug 2018
        • Adelaide

Had my harmonic balance wheel literally fall off and shear the bolt off in the crank the other day. Be carefull as sometimes they have locktight put on them at install. There are a few threads covering the removal on the site.
        Came across a few that indicated a bit of directional heat from a heat gun might soften the locktight.
        I would be carefull using this though.

Comment

• Paul NT
          • Aug 2018
          • Emerald, Vic

I used a socket and bar up against the chassis rail and gave the motor a quick crank for maybe half a second. Crude, but worked a treat. But, beware on the 4D56 you must do the crankshaft pulley up super tight as otherwise it can shift slightly altering the timing and damaging the slot in the crank, which results in an engine rebuild. (Ask me how I know)

Comment

• Morville
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2008
            • Buxton Vic

If you had some movement and then tight again it may be that the thread is seized. Be very carefull undoing it. Maybe work it back and forward a bit to see if that frees it up to undo.
            Peter

Comment

• xs3.steve
              • Mar 2019
              • Bathurst nsw

Hi Guys...
              Thanks for all the tips...been having trouble with cars and computers...havent had a chance to get back to the car so ill update thread when i can get to it...so thanks again...steve

Comment

• motorazr
                • Aug 2018
                • Adelaide

If you search in the gen 2 section there are instructions there on making a spanner of sorts to hold the pulley steady while tightening it

Comment

• xs3.steve
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Bathurst nsw

Success

Hi All....Got her undone,yesterday,..thanks for all the suggestions,went with the starter motor
                  trick....Thanks again everyone...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X