Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Forum Meets / Where to Go!

Forum Meets / Where to Go! Forum get togethers. Tracks done. Tracks to do.

Old 11-04-19

Default Cape York in a Pajero?

Looking for some feedback from those who have done the trip up to Cape York. I've done the Simpson and the Anne Beadell, but realise that's nothing like heading up North.
I'm definitely not an aggressive driver, but like to see my Pajero travel the same tracks as mates with their Cruisers and tricked up utes etc.

Would like to know if my NW diesel Pajero has a reasonable chance of having a good trip, or will it struggle?
I'm considering a trip up about mid July this year, allowing 2 weeks to/from for the Cairns/Normanton part.
I can't find too much that relates to how well a Pajero goes in this part of the world.

I have over time organised modifications that I hope will help get the most out of what its got for this type of trip.
- Front Air Locker (have factory rear diff lock as well)
- Snorkel
- LR Fuel Tank
- Diff Breathers (Going to organise transmission ones as well)
- Dual battery setup
- Bash Plates and Metal side steps
- 2" Lift
- For Off Road driving, I change to my 17" Pajero steel rims with GoodYear Wrangler MTR's (with Kevlar sidewalls)
- HD Nomad Transmission Valve body
- Winch

- Going to install an additional fuel filter (Fuel Manager) soon.

Other additions also, but these are the key ones.

If you've been there, done that, I'd appreciate your opinion (a lot).

Thanks,
Steve

NW '13 White VRX - F Diff Lock, Comp mounted in ARB Deluxe Bar, ChipIt DC with EGT Controller & EGR off module, Tech Trek drawers, AirLift airbags with wireless controlled comp, 2" lift with HD Lovells & Koni 90 & 88's, LR Auxilliary tank, Dual Battery, Redarc Controller, Runva Winch, Bushskinz Sidesteps, Scan Gauge, X-Ray 220 HID lights, Uniden RM-770, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65/18, Diff/Trans/Engine temp sensors with digital readout, HawksHead TPMS, Tekonsha P3 EBC & more.

Last edited by stephenb489; 11-04-19 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-04-19

Mate at work just did it in his brand new stock Pajero Sport no problems. I think you can choose to do the hard stuff or not. Key for him was his group could carry sufficient spares between them lightening everyone's load a little.
Old 11-04-19

We did 90% of the cape in a 3 month old Nx in 2017. The only things I had done ahead of time were a snorkel and a bullbar. The only real reason I did the bullbar was to have somewhere to mount my uhf aerial easily.

We got everywhere my father did in his lifted and chipped patrol with no issues.
Old 11-04-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenb489 View Post
Looking for some feedback from those who have done the trip up to Cape York. I've done the Simpson and the Anne Beadell, but realise that's nothing like heading up North.
I'm definitely not an aggressive driver, but like to see my Pajero travel the same tracks as mates with their Cruisers and tricked up utes etc.

Would like to know if my NW diesel Pajero has a reasonable chance of having a good trip, or will it struggle?
I'm considering a trip up about mid July this year, allowing 2 weeks to/from for the Cairns/Normanton part.
I can't find too much that relates to how well a Pajero goes in this part of the world.

I have over time organised modifications that I hope will help get the most out of what its got for this type of trip.
- Front Air Locker (have factory rear diff lock as well)
- Snorkel
- LR Fuel Tank
- Diff Breathers (Going to organise transmission ones as well)
- Dual battery setup
- Bash Plates and Metal side steps
- 2" Lift
- For Off Road driving, I change to my 17" Pajero steel rims with GoodYear Wrangler MTR's (with Kevlar sidewalls)
- HD Nomad Transmission Valve body
- Winch

- Going to install an additional fuel filter (Fuel Manager) soon.

Other additions also, but these are the key ones.

If you've been there, done that, I'd appreciate your opinion (a lot).

Thanks,
Steve
You've got a very capable Pajero, and you'll have a ball. With your lift, tyres, and lockers you've got everything you need for rough ground - the only bits you might struggle with are deep water or mud, or if the drop into Gunshot is particularly tricky. It's a long time since I was there in Shorty, but with front diff lock and rear LSD I drove Gunshot a day after I was assured I had no chance because "even Patrols are winching it". And it wasn't a one-off stroke of luck - I ended up driving it five times for the camera. But I was there at the end of the dry season, and everything was pretty well worn.

Don't bother with breathers for your transmission. The factory setup connects transmission, transfer and transfer actuator to the top of a void between transmission and transfer case - this void is open at the bottom, and would need to fill with water before anything will get any further. In my opinion, this is a better solution than running individual breathers into the engine bay, as your transmission and transfer will be protected even if your car is submerged to the roof. Which is little consolation if the rest of the car is stuffed...

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 11-04-19
Valued Member

I did Cape York in 2017 in my NW, equipped much like yours (though before I fitted a front diff lock). Didn't have a problem. But much depends on which route you want to take, the state of the tracks, how wet it has been, whether you are towing etc. For example when I was there, even the most modded vehicles were struggling up the exit from Palm Creek on the OTT even on the "easier" 3rd track on the right, and everyone towing was using a winch. But when you do it, might be completely different. One thing that is guaranteed is the corrugations. I've read they are going to seal the PDR into Weipa, but until they do, that is one cruel road. Similarly for the road either side of the Jardine ferry. Make sure all your nuts and bolts are tight, your shocks and springs are good, and keep your tyre pressures down. You might want to check if your LRA tank has the modified gusseted brackets at the rear attaching the tank to the Paj. There's a thread on the Forum where Sharkcaver and I discuss our problems with the original (not reinforced) brackets failing due to corrugations (his on the Canning, as I recall, mine somewhere in western QLD after we did Cape York).

But as others have said, your Paj is more than well enough equipped to have a great adventure up there.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, SPV EGR mod, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 11-04-19

I agree with all above, we did it towing the Tvan by using the winch to get thru Palm ck and did not do the northern OTT because Nolans was deep and the paj leaks like a sieve thru the body holes and door seals. Otherwise went perfectly well but with wet carpets from Canal ck.

Ray
NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.
Old 12-04-19
Valued Member

Corrugations will depend on time of the year and traffic. We did it last September in an NW and the roads were quite good...except the 10klm before the Jardine River . They have been driving 2 wheel drive cars up there for decades and in reality it is just a long corrugated (at times) , dusty road. Old Telegraph can be as easy as or really hard depending on how big a wet we have.. September to December it gets a lot easier as water is dispersed/evaporated.
Old 12-04-19

This thread brings back memories.

I went to Cape York in 1985 with a rental Cruiser having road tyres and no snorkel. Had a blast and out of the international group I was the only one with limited 4wd experience! Coming from snow country I never crossed a deep river before but some helpful locals gave me some tips and we avoided getting eaten by crocs.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Your Respnses

Thanks everyone for your collective wisdom.

It seems to me that there's a good chance that my Pajero should handle the journey ok.
I appreciate the advice and opinions offered.

I'm a lot more confident that if there's going to be a problem, it's going to be the "other" factors that will probably be the main challenge.

Thanks guys,
Much appreciated.

NW '13 White VRX - F Diff Lock, Comp mounted in ARB Deluxe Bar, ChipIt DC with EGT Controller & EGR off module, Tech Trek drawers, AirLift airbags with wireless controlled comp, 2" lift with HD Lovells & Koni 90 & 88's, LR Auxilliary tank, Dual Battery, Redarc Controller, Runva Winch, Bushskinz Sidesteps, Scan Gauge, X-Ray 220 HID lights, Uniden RM-770, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65/18, Diff/Trans/Engine temp sensors with digital readout, HawksHead TPMS, Tekonsha P3 EBC & more.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

4WD Action Mag did it in a $1000 Pajero...

Gemster...
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men