• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiwozi
    • Aug 2018
    • Tauranga New Zealand

Tyres.

Hi folks,
    Needing to fit a new set of tyres and wondering if anyone has real life info/views to share..
    265/60R18 std
    To date: (approx)
    60,000 kms from original Bridgestone Dueler H/T 25% SA roads 25% WA roads 50% NZ roads
    60,000 kms from Maxis 770 Bravo H/T 100% NZ roads

Looking to change to an A/T to better cover (mostly Town/Highway and a small amount of Off road/farm/snow/ice) use.

Currently looking at:

Cooper Tires AT3 LT (Light Truck 10 ply) Guaranteed 80,000kms (100% NZ roads)

Mickey Thompson All-Terrain 38 (Light Truck 10 ply)expected to last 80-100,000kms +

Pricing: fitted, balanced and Wheel alignment $100 difference between the two for full set. Different suppliers and difference in price is neither here nor there in preference for the better tyre.
    Any thoughts?
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

I ran a set of AT3s in 265/65r17 LT on my NS a few years back. They were well mannered on the bitumen and capable enough off road.

Haven't ever run Mickeys so can't comment on them.
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Cooper AT3 LT has been around for 8 to 10 years at least, and has got a reasonable reputation, some people love them and some hate them. I guess it depends on your expectations, use and the actual performance you get from the tyre.

The Mickey Thompson AT38 in both LT and P construction are relatively new and this replaces the old ATZ 4 and 5 rib AT, both of which had a very good reputation both on and off road.

So I guess it comes back to what you prefer the look of rather than the price.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• HarryStottle
        • Dec 2011
        • Yalata SA

I ran the Coopers AT3 LTs for years on my NM and they are a good tyre, but noisy AF and very expensive. I now use Toyo Open Country A/T LTs and think they are a better tyre. Quieter, wear well and reasonably priced.
        2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• slowcoach
          • Apr 2014
          • SA but travelling around Oz

I have not heard too much bad about Mickey Thompson....so thats what i would go for.

As you say its mostly highway travelling have you considered Pirelli Scorpions ...lots of people do well with these.
          I run Bridgestone as I get good deals on them and think they are very good in the wet. As you can see besides being capable off road, wet weather performance is super important to me.
          good luck.
          TJM snorkel, Smartbar, Firestone air bags, SPV mod, Thumper Redback Extreme agm, Donaldson fuel filter, Bridgestone LT 697 AT, McHitch tow hitch 3.5t, Redarc 2550 bc-dc.

Comment

• NFT5
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Canberra

I had to replace a set of Bridgestones about 10,000km ago.

Initially I identified the Cooper AT3 as the tyre I wanted and went to the local dealer to discuss.

As OJ mentioned, these tyres have been around a while and those who have had success with them are very, very happy. Like most US made tyres they use a harder rubber compound than the Japanese brands and this gives them very long life. The downside is that they could become a bit loose in the wet, especially as the tread wore and hardened. Their solution is a silica addition which improves grip over the life of the tyre.

Mickey Thompson are made by Coopers. Reportedly in the same factory.

The local dealer explained to me that what Coopers do is introduce new technology in a leapfrogging fashion. So the MickeyT AT38 is actually a later version of the Cooper AT3, incorporating the design developments that have occurred since initial release. Certainly here (don't know about NZ) they come with the same 80,000km warranty as the Coopers. The AT38 has slightly improved wet weather grip and much better bump absorption. After the Bridgestones I can confirm this - they are very comfortable for an LT construction tyre and wet weather grip seems to be as good as the Bridgestones when new, better than when they were near worn out.

In my case the price difference was only $5.00 per tyre and I obviously chose the Mickey Thompsons. Quite happy with them so far.
            Chris

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Coopers has just updated/refreshed the AT3 range so the only difference I can see, from Internet research, between the AT3 and the Mickey Thompson AT38, is the AT38 has tread tie bars between the tread blocks. I have not seen an AT38 to know what depth the tie bars are, or if they are positioned longitudinally and laterally or just longitudinally. Tread tie bars increase the tread stability therefore reduce tread squirm, but the negative is once the tread wears down to the level of tie bars the tread pattern becomes more of a longitudinal rib design and this prevents water from exiting from under the tyre's in a sidewards direction, if there are also lateral tie bars then this decrease the tyre's ability to disperse water forwards and backwards. Also once tyre's are worn down to the tie bars then off bitumen traction is reduced.

I will be at Tyrepower this Saturday so I will have a look at both these tyre's.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

They're down there somewhere, OJ.

Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...