• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billg
    • Jan 2016
    • Brisbane

NP Petrol 3.8 Rotten Egg Smell

Hi, all

Have a 3.8v6 petrol that has the rotten egg smell if decelerating through the gearbox. Have had it before on other vehicles, was usually a faulty PCV.
    What’s it likely to be on this if anyone knows, thanks in advance.

Bill
  • Having Fun
    • Jun 2015
    • Adelaide

Most likely something amiss with a catalytic converter. The 3.8 tends to leak oil past the valve stem seals & that ends up in the converter, causing issues. You may also get a CEL coming on, with the code P0431/P0432 or even P0430.

If that is the cause, you will have noticed a bit of an increase in oil use between services?

Comment

• Roofchop
      • Jul 2018
      • Carool, Australia

Someone here recently had rotten egg smell and it turned out to be one of his batteries was rooted/overcharging or something....
      Worth a quick check!

2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• El_Freddo
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2018
        • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by Roofchop View Post
        Someone here recently had rotten egg smell and it turned out to be one of his batteries was rooted/overcharging or something....
        Worth a quick check!

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ght=rotten+egg
        Yeah we had our second battery do this but it could only be smelt at intersections/when stopped etc.

If it’s an exhaust issue you’d have to have a pretty big hole in it to smell any issues like that in the cab.

Cheers

Bennie
        2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Didn’t fill up with e10 did you? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Billg
            • Jan 2016
            • Brisbane

Having Fun has possibly got it on the mark as this thing drinks Oil. As was pretty sure the Valve Stem Seals already. But didn’t know of the knock on effect.

However car has only done 85000kms
            Last edited by Billg; 27-08-19, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Having Fun
              • Jun 2015
              • Adelaide

Liqui Moly Engine Oil Re Sealer helps, but it won't fix it.

I think that any damage done to the converter is most likely permanent. There is a product called cataclean that gets good reviews, but I'm not sure I'd want to put anything like that through the injectors, or the engine.

Comment

• Billg
                • Jan 2016
                • Brisbane

How difficult is it to replace the Valve Stem Seals & how long would it likely take?
                Anyone done it?

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

the other thing I have seen that can cause this is the wrong oil into the transfer case... as it has a viscous coupling in there if the wrong oil is used it can heat up and cause funky smells

but I would check the other options suggested first
                  1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                  *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                  1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Billg
                    • Jan 2016
                    • Brisbane

Cheers, unlikely to be the transfer case as blew the gearbox up when we bought it & it was rebuilt, had a couple of services since, plus it drinks oil, but not really Smokey.
                    Have to add a litre or more pretty regularly.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X