• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csimic
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Maitland

[QUOTE=Jords;329284]I think mine vibrates less now that I have cleaned to manifold out blocked the EGR and drilled the TP. It could be a resonance from back pressure Yes back pressure is not good for anything you need the rack of gauges in the car.
    2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• mongoose
      • Aug 2007

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
      Recently got back into a Pajero and after servicing had the same issue. If looking at the air box from the drivers side the left hand corner closest to the engine seems to be the culprit. My main concern is that it is quite likely sucking air past the filter when it does this, has anyone tried any other filters apart from the genuine one?
      NW Pajero VR-X
      Currently stock

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

I've used Ryco and Wesfil without issue over the past few years.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I broke one of the clips on the engine side of my air box and used a length of double sided velcro strap which I wrap around the whole box and pull tight. Works like a charm to help seal the engine side of things and might be worth trying to help seal yours better.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• mongoose
            • Aug 2007

That might be a good idea when travelling on dirt roads to stop any dust getting past the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            NW Pajero VR-X
            Currently stock

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

True enough. I've always thought the engine side of the box was where a leak could occur. It doesn't have the clips on it like the outer side and front have.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Allan2
                • May 2013
                • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

I keep the genuine filter seal from around the filter when the filter needs replacing buy the aftermarket filter of your choice and change the seal around the edge replacing it with the genuine one. Stops the lid from vibrating don't know why they look identical as mentioned.
                Allan.
                2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• mongoose
                  • Aug 2007

Just picked up a Donaldson filter P505999 and it seems a much better fitting filter as well as looking much better quality. All funny noises now gone!

NW Pajero VR-X
                  Currently stock

Comment

• Vicbitter
                    • May 2016
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
                    Just picked up a Donaldson filter P505999 and it seems a much better fitting filter as well as looking much better quality. All funny noises now gone!

I've just done the same, air box vibration gone. And a much tighter fit.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

• mongoose
                      • Aug 2007

I ordered mine from Truckline and had two delivered to my door in 1 day.
                      Very happy!

NW Pajero VR-X
                      Currently stock

Comment

• ski
                        • Sep 2018
                        • New Zealand

Reading this post brought back memories of the same problem when I did a lift ,taking out airbox to remove coils ,after I put it all back together all I could hear was a bloody roar coming from airbox ,turned out to be the bushes around the tube sleeves holding down base of airbox ,so a washer to act as a spacer on each corner soon got rid of the roar ,two minute fix but took alot of pissing around to locate the problem.....
                        2007 NS SWB Pajero 3.2 Diesel ARB front locker ,factory rear locker,40mm lift ,TC mod, Silverstone extreme tyres,MCC bullbar ,Runva 11XP .

Comment

• bajabus
                          • Nov 2012
                          • ACT

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          True enough. I've always thought the engine side of the box was where a leak could occur. It doesn't have the clips on it like the outer side and front have.
                          It is a very poor design thats for sure. A set of clips of the engine side would improve the setup immensely.
                          The vibration has been giving me the sh!ts for a few months and I finally got around to dealing with it. I went with the cutup icecream lid approach and its back to normal.
                          Thanks for the info fellas.
                          -----------------------------------
                          2014 NW GLXR

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • South Africa, East London

I buy aftermarket filters but transfer the genuine one's rubber seal over.
                            1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                            2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                            2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Old pops
                              • Aug 2020
                              • United Kingdom

Hi I had same problem but just wrapped it with a luggage strap stopped it ,I did try rubbers and tighten it seemed to work fo a while ,but got worried about over tightening it and cracking air box ,so tried the strap ,seemed to work a treat,and easy to undo just a little press catch,probably be slated for doing it but,quick and easy solution for me anyway

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X