• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MTN-KAT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Gold Coast

Talking about gazetted public road, we just got back from driving and camping the Alpine tracks in Vic High Country and drove the stock NL up to the top of Mt Pinnibar. This is the highest public road in Aus at 1770m. Cheers.
    99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• LDV60
      • Aug 2009
      • Brisbane

MtnKat
      I'm thinking that the roads up past Charlotte's Pass to the car park at Kosciusko is higher actually. But probably not nearly as fun.
      The attached pics were taken in the October school holidays a couple years ago from memory. It was our first trip going through what snow was left over.
      Attached Files
      2010 NT Activ 3.2. White. Non OEM Tow Bar and all the Activ goodies. 55w HIDs. Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards. ScanGuage. Safari Snorkel. Dobinsons Springs and Shocks. 5 watt Handheld UHF.

My other ride: Lexus IS250 X - in Red.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Gold Coast

Hi LDV60, great pic of the snow road. The altimeter pic sure confirms higher than Mt Pinnibar. The claim for Pinnibar is it's a gazetted public road or so I'm told. Was the altimeter reading on a track or a public road? If the latter then Pinnibar loses. Cheers.
        99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• mmannion
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Birth place of QLD

I can vouch for both Eurimbular NP and Kroombit Tops, both great places and right in my own backyard. That plane wreck at Kroombit is a must see.
          02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• mmannion
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Birth place of QLD

There also used to be "Dirty Weekends in Central QLD", I have a copy but do not see it on their website now?
            02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

Comment

• mmannion
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Birth place of QLD

Kroombit Tops

Here's a good write-up on Kroombit. Keep in mind that it's from 2010.

Comment

• LDV60
                • Aug 2009
                • Brisbane

The snow pics are of the carpark / turn around road that is at the very last section of road where you can park your car and walk to Kosciusko. It's a regular road and carpark. Not sure if there are any "limitations" as to why it wouldn't be a gazetted road.

It was a great fun little day trip for us from Narooma that day.
                2010 NT Activ 3.2. White. Non OEM Tow Bar and all the Activ goodies. 55w HIDs. Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards. ScanGuage. Safari Snorkel. Dobinsons Springs and Shocks. 5 watt Handheld UHF.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Gold Coast

Hi LDV60, just googled looking for an answer to highest public track or road etc. Even Mt Hotham is higher than Mt Pinnibar (tho it is bitumen) so I don't know what the trip leader meant on the day we got up the track. We all were thrilled with the accomplishment and ended up camping on a junction of track part way down the other side for the night to wake up to ice everwhere and -4 deg!! Thanks for your info so I won't be spreading that misinfo. Cheers.

Comment

• LDV60
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Brisbane

Mate, the really important part is whether you enjoyed the trip.
                    I have to say we enjoyed our snow driving even though it was all boring bitumen.

Have to get some feedback from you on hinterland trips down on your side of town.

Cheers
                    Damo

Comment

• Tedious181
                      • Dec 2012
                      • Narangba

My mate and I go up to bracalba up near diagular but I've heard through the grape vine that the police are patrolling it regularly cause the tracks are getting to damaged where energex power lines run. Making it hard for the emerged crew to get to problem areas. But there is gr8 tracks there. Mt mee is alright except some of the tracks that are in that dirty weekends book have been closed off.

Comment

• LDV60
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Brisbane

M wife and I, along with my sister and her boyfriend, just got back from doing the Blackall Range trip from the book, and also started off doing the Glass House Mountains trip too.

Ended up happily "lost" after the Glass House Mountains lookout running along the power lines section. Boy were there some huge ruts and bog hole sections. Deep as the car at least with completely vertical sides.

Saw some typical Pootrool trucks with 35s running around through some puddles and muck.

We were there on our first trip in our updated 2010 NT Activ - coming out of our NM Exceed petrol last week.

The other couple were only in a soft roader but we still got through at least to the moderate to medium sections without any difficulty.

Was a huge eye opener in terms of fuel use and drivabality improvements of the DiD.

Cheers
                        Damo

Comment

• nosyajoo7
                          • Feb 2012
                          • caboolture

try this one and enter your post cade http://www.4x4earth.com.au/

Comment

• BrisVegas
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • Townsville, QLD

We went to Rainbow Beach on Sunday and it was almost a wall of fourbys along the waterfront at the shallow swimming holes. Bit windy and choppy on the Teewah Beach run, but Rainbow was very nice. The little track across Double Island (Leisha?) was pretty soft and rutted due to the traffic, but we got through without too much fuss.

'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• mouse78
                              • Feb 2013
                              • ipswich

a nice little park

Springs A good park its a small but good going it just outside Warwick

Comment

• capemanifold
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2007
                                • QLD

Charon Point

I am dying to try this spot in the future ,looks great especially if you like crabbing and fishing .Located in Central QLD near St Lawrence .
                                Charon Point Conservation Park is a park in Queensland, Australia. Mapcarta, the open map.

Hi all, Came across a camping area on a map recently called Charon Point. It's on the coast in central qld. Apparently you turn off the Bruce Hwy at Marlborough and there is a 4WD track to Charon Point (between the mouths of the Styx River and Herbert Creek). Does anyone have any info at all about this place??? Any facilities? What's the track like? How far is it from Marlborough? Decent fishing? Anything??? Any info whatsoever would be appreciated. I can't find anything on the Internet
                                2007 DID AUTO

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X