• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dion
    Valued Member
    • May 2010
    • Brisbane

D694s at 50,000kms

So my D694s have just ticked over 50,000kms on the Paj (fitted since new in 2010).

In the wet days we've had lately in Brisbane I've noticed they've lost a bit of their wet grip - Paj is understeering a lot and the ASC light blinks away to pull it back in. Whether its a combination of wearing (still reasonable tread) or age (comining up to 4.5yrs old) is hard to tell, but I think I'll be replacing them soon as I don't like tyres that are slippery in the wet.
    2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

What are you going to replace them with?
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Alex86
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Here and there

Mine have just over 60 on them I think. Had a lockup the other day, which was unexpected. Wasn't overly wet but the amount of nasty that builds up on the road for 6+ months of no rain, well the first rains make it pretty damn slippery!! 2nd time I've had them lose traction on wet bitumen, first was me really trying and only just succeeding!

So, might bring the plan for those 697s forward a little earlier. Road trip to port Hedland for me probably, mate drove up there not long ago and saved $80 per tyre than compared to the local joints here in Karachi for a set of 697s on 17in rims!!
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Dion
        Valued Member
        • May 2010
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
        What are you going to replace them with?
        Either 697s or maybe the MT P3s ... just not sure about wet road handling of the P3s. It's a family car 90% of the time driving on highways, the other 10% is beach work and gravel (touring), so I'm not sure if I need the P3s really. Could come down to cost, if there's a big $$$ difference then that will probably decide for me.

Thinking of going up a size from factory (am on 17s), and I've got a second spare to be fitted off as well, so will be after 6 of them.
        Last edited by Dion; 13-01-15, 05:08 PM.
        2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Bundyk
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2012
          • North Nowra

If its any help, I have just put a second hand set of Cooper AT3's on. They are about half worn, maybe a touch more, and they replaced a set of Maxxis AT-771's. They are quieter, dry grip on road is much the same, wet grip is better and off road grip....well, I havent had them off road yet, so I cant comment. I found the Maxxis a better tyre than the D694's they replaced. All tyres are the same size

I replaced the Maxxis simply because I had a bad wheel alignment, and I didnt catch it quick enough, so they feathered pretty badly. Got the Coopers cheap too, which was a big factor.
          Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Dazza.
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Northern Territory

For what it's worth, I done a ring around for new tyres on our Colorado. One of the tyre stores advised against the 697's as they appear to have a softer compound and that they've had a bit of negative feedback in relation to tyre wear. Not a major issue to me - I'd rather a safe gripper tyre over a hard as nails tyre which lasts 80,000km.

I ended up with Pirelli ATS.
            COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• Dion
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Brisbane

Thanks for the feedback.

Not worried about wear - as noted, mine have only done 50k in 4.5yrs and I think the compound is starting to go off anyway so I'll probably replace them due to age than wear.

Comment

• olderperson
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

Gus is still happy apparently.

One of the local tyre places told me that they have a few D 697'scoming back for tyre rotation and balance with 100000 on them, but how they were performing in the wet I have no idea. My wrangler at/sa are very slippery when about 1/2 worn and they are not old, and only 40000 kms.
                I am seriously consideriing the D697 or the new Toyo open county ATII.

Comment

• grhyso
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Perth

If i was in your position I'd steer away from the P3's. I'd be looking at the 697's or for a slightly more aggresive tyre then the maxxis 980's or the general grabber at2.

My last car came with 694s and i was unimpressed with them once worn.
                  2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by olderperson View Post
                    Gus is still happy apparently.

One of the local tyre places told me that they have a few D 697'scoming back for tyre rotation and balance with 100000 on them, but how they were performing in the wet I have no idea. My wrangler at/sa are very slippery when about 1/2 worn and they are not old, and only 40000 kms.
                    I am seriously consideriing the D697 or the new Toyo open county ATII.

100,000 KLMS ON A TYRE. Hard to believe. Especially on a 4wd and even then they were in for a rotation. Had the 697 on troop carriers and because of fast rough road work they chopped out at about 45,000. I reckon they would be bald and no grip and I,d reckon the driver was out by about 40,000 klms..
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• olderperson
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      100,000 KLMS ON A TYRE. Hard to believe. Especially on a 4wd and even then they were in for a rotation. Had the 697 on troop carriers and because of fast rough road work they chopped out at about 45,000. I reckon they would be bald and no grip and I,d reckon the driver was out by about 40,000 klms..
                      From the last post by Gus in his long term review.
                      "Wear after 45 Thousand is 3 tyres at 8.5mm 1 at 8mm & the spare that has 20 Thou on it at 10mm got to be happy with that!
                      New 12mm! so you do the Calculations "

Comment

• grhyso
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        It would all depend on the driver and where they drive. A previous rodeo i had that was a hand me down from my dad did 120,000kms on a set of 5 cooper ATR's including driving the Gunbarrel Highway, and numerous other outback tracks through WA. These were religiously rotated and balances and wheel alignment checked every 10,000kms. They had little grip towards the end of their life and probably should have been changed out at about 105,000kms but i was a lowly paid apprentice with a mortgage and the tyres were still legal.
                        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• rotare
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2007

My D697 have done nearly 50K and are starting to get a little slippery in the wet when compared to when they were new. Reckon I'll get 55-60K out of them before needing to replace and that's rotating 4 tyres, which isn't bad mileage IMO. I'm pretty hard on tyres because I tow a lot and drive reasonably aggressively. Overall been pretty happy with their performance but might try Toyo's AT's next time just for something different.
                          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• TheTaipan
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009
                            • sydney

I am using the most underrated tyre on the market. Yokohama A/Ts. Put them on the first tyre change after the Bridgestone H/Ts and used them ever since.

Close to 80,000 on them and still 6MM across the tread and no drama in the wet.

Comment

• Toddyh
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Lalor Park, NSW

I had Yokos on my last vehicle. Awesome tyre but the compound is a little soft for my liking. Only got 50k out of them. The warranty is awesome. Had 2 tyres replaced for free because of that warranty. As a result I ended up with 2 new Yokos and 2 half worn ones. I swapped the half worn for Bridestones D697 just before starting a 11,000km outback trip. The D697's held up beautifully but the Yokos not so well. Only 1 puncture but they chipped and wore quite badly. I still rate them as an awesome around town A/T for those who do occasional off-roading, especially beach work but they are just too soft for the rocky stuff and gibber plains.
                              2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X