• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Options for spare wheel NW pajero

Hello,

I am searching around for a second spare wheel, ideally similar to the below.

265/65/17 are the tyres I currently have fitted, to give an idea of the rim.

I am going to look on Gumtree/eBay but would like to know if anyone has sourced something similar or what options are there around for alternatives.
    Attached Files
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Is this the same type mate?

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Obviously if you can get OEM wheels that would be best. Here is my story, which probably won't be very useful : when I was looking for alloy wheels to specify on my new camper-trailer that would be compatible with my Paj NW I was told by the camper-trailer manufacturer (back in 2013) that there were 2 possibilities:

Speedy Grande Alloy or ROH GTX Alloy. [Paj OEM wheels, even if I could source them, would not fit on the camper hubs.]

The original OEM Paj wheels were 17 x 7.5 with a 46 mm offset. The tech rep for Speedy advised that with the Grande I would need 17 x 8 (which had a 42 mm offset) and not a 17 x 7.5 (which had an inappropriate 30 mm offset). I bought the Speedys and never pursued the ROH option. The Speedy's appearance was most similar to the OEM's. They have performed very well over many thousands of kms of nasty outback roads.

However I think I read (maybe on this Forum??) that the Speedy Grande in that size is no longer available, and so it seems on the Speedy web site. Pity. Would they still have any old stock?

I note on the ROH web site that they only offer a RTX in a 17x 7.5 with a 30 mm offset, so that doesn't sound hopeful. Their "Terrain" model seems to have the right specs (a 17 x 8 with a 45 mm offset and a PCD of 139.7) but with a matt black finish it would stand out like the proverbials against the brushed silver OEM wheels, if appearance matters.

But for any wheel, check and re-check the specs with the wheel distributor to ensure compatibility with tyres and the Paj itself. At the time, Speedy guaranteed that the OEM tyres (265x65x17) would fit on the slightly wider-than-OEM 17 x 8 wheels and that the wheels/tyres would fit on the Paj (as long as I used the supplied centering inserts for the narrow Paj hubs), in the event I ever needed to transfer a Speedy from the camper to the Paj. I have tested the Speedys on the Paj and they fit no problem.

good luck.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
        Obviously if you can get OEM wheels that would be best. Here is my story, which probably won't be very useful : when I was looking for alloy wheels to specify on my new camper-trailer that would be compatible with my Paj NW I was told by the camper-trailer manufacturer (back in 2013) that there were 2 possibilities:

Speedy Grande Alloy or ROH GTX Alloy. [Paj OEM wheels, even if I could source them, would not fit on the camper hubs.]

The original OEM Paj wheels were 17 x 7.5 with a 46 mm offset. The tech rep for Speedy advised that with the Grande I would need 17 x 8 (which had a 42 mm offset) and not a 17 x 7.5 (which had an inappropriate 30 mm offset). I bought the Speedys and never pursued the ROH option. The Speedy's appearance was most similar to the OEM's. They have performed very well over many thousands of kms of nasty outback roads.

However I think I read (maybe on this Forum??) that the Speedy Grande in that size is no longer available, and so it seems on the Speedy web site. Pity. Would they still have any old stock?

I note on the ROH web site that they only offer a RTX in a 17x 7.5 with a 30 mm offset, so that doesn't sound hopeful. Their "Terrain" model seems to have the right specs (a 17 x 8 with a 45 mm offset and a PCD of 139.7) but with a matt black finish it would stand out like the proverbials against the brushed silver OEM wheels, if appearance matters.

But for any wheel, check and re-check the specs with the wheel distributor to ensure compatibility with tyres and the Paj itself. At the time, Speedy guaranteed that the OEM tyres (265x65x17) would fit on the slightly wider-than-OEM 17 x 8 wheels and that the wheels/tyres would fit on the Paj (as long as I used the supplied centering inserts for the narrow Paj hubs), in the event I ever needed to transfer a Speedy from the camper to the Paj. I have tested the Speedys on the Paj and they fit no problem.

good luck.
        I also run the Speedy wheels but unfortunately the Speedy wheels for the Paj were discontinued a couple of years ago. I checked with the Speedy rep. & there were none still available.

If you are only after a second spare for remote trips, etc., an option (that I use) is to buy a factory steel wheel (around $200 from a dealer spare parts dept., or perhaps Gumtree but ensure it is the correct wheel for the Paj), as these are 17x7.5 with 46P offset (identical to your alloys) and fully compatible. You also need to get a set of the different wheel nuts to avoid over stressing the wheel. Regardless, test fit any wheel to the front of the Paj & make sure it clears the caliper & turns, before fitting a tyre.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• jared01
          • Dec 2016
          • Sydney

If I purchased a steel wheel, would it happily work alongside with 3 existing alloy wheels?

Wondering if they weigh the same and if there would be any problems running this setup (not for the long term though)
          2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
            If I purchased a steel wheel, would it happily work alongside with 3 existing alloy wheels?

Wondering if they weigh the same and if there would be any problems running this setup (not for the long term though)
            Not much difference in weight - nothing to worry about.
            No problem if you use the genuine steel in exactly the same size with a matching tyre - need the different nuts though.
            You could run it forever, although being a spare & a bit ugly (the wheel) you probably wouldn't!
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X