• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzalo4to
    • Feb 2018
    • America

Montero (1999) won't go into 4L

Hi! I am a proud owner of a 1999 montero 2nd gen (4M40 non-turbo). I love the car so far, but the reason I got it so cheap is because the car will NOT go into 4L. It isn't that the 4L doesn't engage. No.

The problem is that the shifter will not physically go into 4L. The owner tells me that she (older woman) has never used the 4wd system. Ever. Oh, and another thing. Transfer case is not Super Select. It is the "Easy select" one, that only has 2H-4H-N-4L

Any ideas?

Btw, 4H goes in just fine.

Thanks!!
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

Obvious question 1st, have you tried pressing down on th lever to get it into 4L? The Super Select ones are like that so yours maybe the same...?
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I am not sure of the arrangement of the levers, but often the selector rod slides into a bushing with a closed end. They put a seal, typically an O ring, on the rod. Oil leaks past the seal and then that oil prevents the rod from going into place, in this case 4L. If you get the gearbox well warmed up (a bit difficult to do at this time of the year for you) press the knob down and apply pressure and see if the lever eventually goes in as if should.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Pakenham

Super select has a half moon bush around the pivot point of the transfer lever that disintegrates and makes it near impossible to get into 4 low if you don't hold your tongue right. Don't know if Easy Select has the same setup.
        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• gonzalo4to
          • Feb 2018
          • America

Very well. Let me try all of that.

1. Pressing down on the lever (I've been doing that all along but I'll try it a few more times)
          2. Changing the transfer case oil, just in case we are dealing with an internal lubrication issue
          3. Inspect the ball bush or half moon bush to see if its in good shape

I suspect that the bushing is worn, because I do not feel that the lever is FIRM at the base.. I feel a slight wobble when I try to go to the right and then to N (like the lever itself is going out of axis. Weird to explain). Honestly, it does not even go to N.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted tomorrow.

Comment

• gonzalo4to
            • Feb 2018
            • America

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
            Super select has a half moon bush around the pivot point of the transfer lever that disintegrates and makes it near impossible to get into 4 low if you don't hold your tongue right. Don't know if Easy Select has the same setup.
            Is this the bush (red-brownish part) you are referring to? (This image is from the internet, not from my car. I just want to know what to look for)
            Attached Files

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Originally posted by gonzalo4to View Post
              Is this the bush (red-brownish part) you are referring to? (This image is from the internet, not from my car. I just want to know what to look for)
              Pretty sure that's the one, its in the right area. There was nothing left of mine and I don't think it had ever been in 4wd either.

Comment

• gonzalo4to
                • Feb 2018
                • America

Ok boys, I've put in the work and Just Cruzin was right on the money. I took both shifters (gearbox and transfer) out, because they were together with the big rubber boot. Please see the attachments.

The bush was a paste. Like mashed potatoes. You guys were right, that bush was the whole deal. Now we know that Easy Select also has the same plastic bush that Super Select has.

Now, how to fix this issue? Please direct me:

1. I have found a replacement bush in Ebay *quite pricey*.

2. How do I go about replacing the bush? I do not see any way to take the bush out, except knocking the pin out, but I do not want to try something without asking first.

3. How can I take the rubber boot out of the assembly so I can work better? I cannot remove the sticks from the shifters themselves. I've tried twisting, pulling, but I cannot remove the metal sticks in order to remove the boot. How???

4. After seeing all the debris from that bush, I am thinking about flushing the transfer case by draining 1/3 of the fluid and putting in diesel, and then flushing and replacing with fresh fluid. Would this hurt the seals or anything inside the transfer case?

Please HELP, and see attachments. Thanks!

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention. The transmission shifter bush was FLAWLESS. It is a white bush. Do you think it would be best to use this kind of bush instead of the red "bakelite" bush from the transfer shifter?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Pakenham

Can't help with the boots, I have an auto. Yes you have to press the pin out, it goes through the bush as well. And if you think the ebay one is pricey, check the genuine because for memory they were about the same.
                  Can't comment on the manual one being the same.

Comment

• gonzalo4to
                    • Feb 2018
                    • America

Found an excellent thread on this topic. I think this should be a sticky.

Now, i'll have to wait until the part arrives.

Comment

• gonzalo4to
                      • Feb 2018
                      • America

What about the 1/3rd part diesel flush? Would you recommend it?

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Pakenham

Originally posted by gonzalo4to View Post
                        What about the 1/3rd part diesel flush? Would you recommend it?
                        I'll leave someone else to answer that.

Comment

• gonzalo4to
                          • Feb 2018
                          • America

Waiting for the ball to arrive. Just changed the rear differential oil. I thought it was coffee pouring out.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• gonzalo4to
                            • Feb 2018
                            • America

SOLVED. I followed the repair thread and had to use a hydraulic press to install the new bush.

Shifts like a dream, lever is tight. No problem going to 4L now.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cheers.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X