• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2008
    • Sydney

Clare SA to Broken Hill

Hi Guys, Will be in Clare SA March 2016 for a mates wedding.
    Plan to drive from Sydney - Mildura - Clare over two days.

Would like some local advice on what to see & where to stay/camp between Clare and Broken Hill.
    Will only have 4 nights between Clare & Broken Hill.
    Camp in one spot for two nights then move to another spot for two would be ideal but not necessary.

All ideas appreciated.
    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

If you're not a grog-monster who wants to spend a day or two visiting wineries, I suggest head for the Flinders.

Bendleby Ranges is only a couple of hours from Clare. Entry is a little on the high side, but once you're there the per night rates are quite reasonable, there are good facilities in the main camping area and the 4wding was better than I expected.

A little further north, there are places like Rawnsley Park or Wilpena Pound if you like camping with facilities, or some great bush camping spots in Brachina Gorge - I like Brachina East campground, which has a long drop if that matters.

When it's time to move on, up to Blinman, then it's a very scenic drive out to the Balcanoona Road, head south to Yunta and then east to Broken Hill. An easy day's drive.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Phil
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2008
      • Sydney

Cheers NJ,

I'll have had enough grog after the wedding weekend...

I like the Brachina East campground then up to Blinman, south to Yunta and then east to Broken Hill. Would that be a full days drive.

Phil.
      MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• Having Fun
        • Jun 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        If you're not a grog-monster who wants to spend a day or two visiting wineries, I suggest head for the Flinders.

Bendleby Ranges is only a couple of hours from Clare. Entry is a little on the high side, but once you're there the per night rates are quite reasonable, there are good facilities in the main camping area and the 4wding was better than I expected.

A little further north, there are places like Rawnsley Park or Wilpena Pound if you like camping with facilities, or some great bush camping spots in Brachina Gorge - I like Brachina East campground, which has a long drop if that matters.

When it's time to move on, up to Blinman, then it's a very scenic drive out to the Balcanoona Road, head south to Yunta and then east to Broken Hill. An easy day's drive.
        +1 on the Flinders Ranges. Rawnsley Park would be my personal preference as a home base. Moralana, Brachina, Bunyeroo, Aroona, Parachilna, Blinman, Warraweena, etc are all in easy driving distance for day trips.

Another consideration for me would be Burra. It's very close to Clare & the tourist info centre hires out a key which gives you access to the old gaol, the underground brewery, the miners caves in the creek bed, the old copper mine etc, etc.

Comment

• cooperplace
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2010
          • adelaide

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
          +1 on the Flinders Ranges. Rawnsley Park would be my personal preference as a home base. Moralana, Brachina, Bunyeroo, Aroona, Parachilna, Blinman, Warraweena, etc are all in easy driving distance for day trips.

Another consideration for me would be Burra. It's very close to Clare & the tourist info centre hires out a key which gives you access to the old gaol, the underground brewery, the miners caves in the creek bed, the old copper mine etc, etc.
          agree: well worth a look

Comment

• dean
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

We were in Broken Hill last week and Penrose Park at Silverton is a top spot to camp. A bush setting with showers, dunnies and camp fires allowed. Drive out to Mundi Mundi for the sunset. In Broken Hill drive up to the lookout for the sunset as well.
            Dean
            Attached Files
            NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Phil
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2008
              • Sydney

Starts in 15 days

Can anyone give me a trip time and road conditions from Bliman- Curnamona- Yunta.

Plan on taking this route to Broken Hill.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

Best guess would be four hours at a steady pace, but give yourself five hrs to allow for a few stops at points of interest.
                There's some nice scenery around the Bunkers (Oraparinna), but less so out on the flats towards Lk Frome.
                Roads are generally well maintained but you may encounter patches of deep bulldust that you will want to avoid dropping into.
                It's very powdery country on the eastern side of the ranges between Oraparinna and the Yunta Rd (around Erudina etc). Pray there's no rain !
                Watch out for sheep and cattle too, as it's all unfenced.

2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Likely also to be warm/hot. Fire bans will still also be in force so check these and plan accordingly.

cheers, OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Re the rain risk - the road can be closed after rain, making a long detour back around the west side - I've been in that area a few times when thunderstorms have rolled through - it doesn't take much to close the roads (with huge fines if you ignore the closure).

PS - take fly nets unless you like the little bu#@*ers in their millions
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Phil
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • Sydney

Thanks Kingbrown that gives me some handy times for planning.

Old Jack, Its looking to be warm for a while.

On leaving Clare would it be nicer to go via Port Augusta or up the guts to Rawnsley Park.

Comment

• Phil
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2008
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                        Re the rain risk - the road can be closed after rain, making a long detour back around the west side - I've been in that area a few times when thunderstorms have rolled through - it doesn't take much to close the roads (with huge fines if you ignore the closure).

PS - take fly nets unless you like the little bu#@*ers in their millions
                        Cheers for the info Spt01,
                        We will make our final road choice that morning when leaving Rawnsley park.
                        Just didn't want back track if we could avoid it. The weather will decide though.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Port Augusta - SA

More scenic 'up the guts', and less traffic as well.
                          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                            Thanks Kingbrown that gives me some handy times for planning.

Old Jack, Its looking to be warm for a while.

On leaving Clare would it be nicer to go via Port Augusta or up the guts to Rawnsley Park.
                            No need to go via Port Augusta unless you want or need to. If you stay on the eastern side of the ranges then you can go through Melrose and do the Alligator Gorge walk in Mt Remarkable National Park. Also worth a visit is Quorn or Peterbourgh if you are into trains. Nice walk also at Warren Gorge just west of Quorn. There are a number of self drive 4wd tracks that give you a good look at the Flinders in A/C comfort. Bendleby near Ooraroo, Argardell near Quorn, Rawnsley Park near Wilpena all have good camping with facities and good 4wdrivng on private tracks for reasonable prices.

cheers, OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spot01
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Adelaide

Quorn is the last stop for a decent supermarket (7 days) & reasonably priced fuel (Caltex - but closes from midday Saturday, I think?). Check out the Railway Station & Pichi Richi Pass if you have time. Watch out for roos & emus as you get closer to the National Park - plenty of them & no road sense!
                              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X