X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xpression
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

as a qualified motor mechanic and diagnostic technician i feel for anyone involved in trying to diagnose an intermitant electrical fault.
    Its very easy for us all as the customer (or end user) to say "the stupid dealer couldnt fix the car" - however it is not always that simple - particularly with wiring harness faults or electrical componants which work sometimes and not others.
    There are two types of fault codes - PRESENT and HISTORY - the difference being exactly as it sounds. A present code is usually relatively straight forward to diagnose - even if it takes a few hours as the physical fault is actually occuring at the time the technician is looking at the car. A history code means the fault has righted itself (either because the poor connection is not poor at this time, or the faulty componant is doing everything asked of it at the time). With a history code the best a technician can do is visually check everything, "wiggle" test the wiring, check resistances and assuming nothing changes (and thus no fault physically present at that time) there are two choices - do nothing to rectify the fault, or take an educated guess.

Be kind to the poor guys trying to fix your issues - i can guarantee for the service advisor, and technician they want your issue fixed as much as you do.

Comment

• xpression
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

a good example of this is a light globe which works sometimes and not others. (I'm sure most of us have had one at some point in time).
      When the light globe is functioning correctly, how do you determine if the fault is in the switch, fuse (or RCA), power supply, wiring, globe holder, or globe itself? The only option is to take an educated guess, or wait for it to fail again and test it. Electrical systems in cars with intermitant faults are unfortunately no different.

Comment

• Cory
        • Jun 2008

I dont know about the present/history concept - I do know that my SRS light is on when the dealer has checked it out, and given a 100% guarantee that it is all ok after replacing certain parts (last effort was the entire drivers side seat belt pre-tensioiner and seat belt assembly) only to have it come back on the next day - cant keep taking it back and not have it fixed properly.

Comment

• RogerB
          • Jun 2012
          • Victor Harbor SA

[QUOTE=Be kind to the poor guys trying to fix your issues - i can guarantee for the service advisor, and technician they want your issue fixed as much as you do.[/QUOTE]

Oh Yeah? Like, after 6 visits to 2 dealers my radio still behaves like a crystal set (maybe it needs a new cats whisker, now there's a thought). They even had a MMAL representative have a look at it and his pronouncement was 'It's as good as you can expect'. BigBloke parked his PB next to mine in my driveway with the radio on - clear as crystal (no pun intended), while mine was crackling and faint. So I don't know about them wanting to fix my issue as much as I do when they say there's nothing more they can do. Sorry this is off-topic but I couldn't resist. RogerB
          Last edited by RogerB; 20-09-12, 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
          2012 Challenger LS Auto (White), Headlight & Stoneguard protectors, Bridgestone D697 AT's, HR tow-bar, HR Brake Controller, Dual Battery, 1.5Kw Inverter, Reversing Camera, ScanGaugeII, Nudge Bar, Fyrlyt driving lights.

Comment

• ScottB
            • Mar 2011
            • Newcastle

Do not know what the problem is, my dealer said it is very unusual that Challengers have any SRS problem. This as they "fixed" my SRS light for the 2nd time in less than 11 months. Just a loose connection in the back of the ECU this time, if you can believe them.
            2011 PB LS Auto in Ironbark, Reverse Sensors, Dueler 694LT, BushSkinz bash plates, factory towbar. Ultimate Suspension lift.

Comment

• xpression
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

Originally posted by Cory View Post
              I dont know about the present/history concept - I do know that my SRS light is on when the dealer has checked it out, and given a 100% guarantee that it is all ok after replacing certain parts (last effort was the entire drivers side seat belt pre-tensioiner and seat belt assembly) only to have it come back on the next day - cant keep taking it back and not have it fixed properly.
              once the fault code is logged, the SRS light will stay on until cleared with a scan tool. Often the physical fault (open circuit, short circuit or high/low resistance) is only present for less than one second.

with regards to the radio reception issue - i didnt say dealers are perfect, heck i've worked for a couple i left on bad terms with because i didnt like the way they do business - i do have some pointers that may help you
              *have you spoken directly to the service manager? (and failing that the dealer principal?)
              *have you been asked/offered to take a service guy for a drive and demonstrate the problem/crackling, and than take another same vehicle for a drive and have none?

it certainly sounds like you may have been given the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

• RogerB
                • Jun 2012
                • Victor Harbor SA

[QUOTE= with regards to the radio reception issue

*have you spoken directly to the service manager? (and failing that the dealer principal?)

Yes, both. And as I said, I've also spoken to the MMAL rep.

*have you been asked/offered to take a service guy for a drive and demonstrate the problem/crackling, and then taken another same vehicle for a drive and have none?

I have been for a drive with the service guy who said there is nothing more they can do even though the reception was poor. His excuse - It's a cloudy day!!! I've had another member of this forum park his next to mine and his has perfect reception. I've told them this - not interested. :dunno[1]:

I've given up on these local wankers and am working with another dealership now. I've discovered, thanks to Old Jack, that the aerial base actually incorporates an antenna pre-amp and I suspect that that is faulty or else it is not getting power. The dealer has one on order, so fingers crossed.

* it certainly sounds like you may have been given the wrong end of the stick.

You're not wrong there!!
                2012 Challenger LS Auto (White), Headlight & Stoneguard protectors, Bridgestone D697 AT's, HR tow-bar, HR Brake Controller, Dual Battery, 1.5Kw Inverter, Reversing Camera, ScanGaugeII, Nudge Bar, Fyrlyt driving lights.

Comment

• xpression
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Perth

i suspect you guys are on the right page with the antenna base. We have had similar issues with commodores with poor reception. We actually have a test antenna we made up which connects at the lower A pillar specifically to proove the issue is rearward of the pillar.
                  It would pay to check the earth too as we find a 50/50 split between faulty bases and faulty earths (idk about the challenger but the commodores have one just near the antenna)

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Loom finally changed

After 3 R/H Side Curtain Airbag faults (B1441) the dealer was advised by Mitsubishi to change the wiring loom under warranty, unfortunately new loom did not arrive before our trip to the Flinders Ranges (but the SRS light did stay off after the last reset 2 weeks ago) so today the loom was replaced so here's hoping this is the last of the SRS problems.

cheers, old Jack.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• laurie27
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Blue Mountains

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                      Do not know what the problem is, my dealer said it is very unusual that Challengers have any SRS problem. This as they "fixed" my SRS light for the 2nd time in less than 11 months. Just a loose connection in the back of the ECU this time, if you can believe them.
                      Maybe from "unusual" to common. My Challenger was in for the SRS light problem yesterday. Picked up the car & all was good until I started the car this morning!! yes here I go again, twice in a week!!!
                      2010 Black LS Auto Challenger

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

SRS light on again

This is the 4th time in 6 weeks, so it is off to the Dealer this week to see what fault code it is this time! I have a feeling that the Mitsubishi Technical Rep and I are about to become "best friends", this should be interesting!

cheers, old Jack.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• 900canoes
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2008
                          • FNQ

Guess Mitsibishi will have to "engineer' out the air bags to meet ADR requirements if they cant fix it.
                          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Went to Dealer on Tuesday, fault code B1441 again! This was the 4th time in 6 weeks but the first time since the wiring loom was replaced. Could not find reason for fault so SRS ECU reset, a report to Mitsibishi sent and a request for the Mits Technical Rep to contact me.

Thursday morning; start car and SRS light stays on, 5th time in 7 weeks ! Back to Dealer tomorrow, this will be interesting.

cheers, old Jack .

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

The Challenger has just had a 2 day "health retreat" at Club Mitsubishi where they checked the under dash and side looms for the right hand curtain airbag as they only changed the roof loom last time. System reset and they could not re-trigger a fault so we wait and see if the problems reoccur!

Despite my request, I have still to hear from the Mitsubishi Technical Rep, maybe he is worried that I will ask questions he can't answer!

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

• campa_fish
                                • Mar 2010
                                • Brisbane

I have had the dreaded SRS light come on today. Mine is the left side curtain air bag. They cleared the fault and then it happened just down the road.

They said that they have had a lot of these codes at the moment and not just the challengers. Triton, pajeros and outlanders are the other main culprits.
                                2010 challenger LS manual - cool silver. ARB deluxe winch Bullbar, IPF spot light. factory towbar, Safari Snorkel, BFGoodridge All Terrans, GME TX3520 UHF, OME suspension, 9000lb Red Centre Winch, ORS Storage Drawer System, Black Widow Fridge Slide, 2 x 10" BAJA LWD Light Bars, Pro Rack Wispar Roof Rails, Hema Navigator 6, Etrex H GPS, Engel 40 L Fridge.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X