• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damo1
    • May 2010

Pics of Damo1's DIY snorkel

Righto here they are as promised.

Feedback welcome Positive or negative cheers guys.

Hope you like it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by damo1; 08-05-11, 04:41 PM.
    GLX NH LWB V6 5 speed, GU springs , cranked tb's, GLS Flare + door moulds, bullbar (moded), 4x spotties, 2x cbs, side steps, camp light, custom snorkel, qtr chop, broken windscreen- and full of kids NNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!
  • damo1
    • May 2010

Heres some more.
    Attached Files
    GLX NH LWB V6 5 speed, GU springs , cranked tb's, GLS Flare + door moulds, bullbar (moded), 4x spotties, 2x cbs, side steps, camp light, custom snorkel, qtr chop, broken windscreen- and full of kids NNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!

Comment

• damo1
      • May 2010

Righto the snorkel to air box pipe is a temporary number , i ordered the pipe i need to do it properly it was just a quick fix at the time.

I'm pretty happy with the result sorry there where no actual build shots as i said else where i go in the zone of building and was on a time restraint so couldn't do it really.

All up including smooth finishing the bends and 2k matt black finish it took me around 7.5 hrs i guess and a total cost of 39.90 for the pipe and the link pipe i'm getting is another 22$ and 4$ for the bit of rubber edging around the hole in the guard.

I'm lucky that i'm in a trade where i have access to all the right tools and being in the panel trade for over twenty yrs know how to manipulate steel to where i want/need it .

Cheers guys hope you like it.
      Last edited by damo1; 02-05-11, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• ngwagon
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • mt evelyn

Looks good mate.. I prob would of made the head turn the other way over the roof.. What's the stuff you put around the hole in the guard? What's it made out of too?

Comment

• dbomba
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Homebase Sydney

Great looking job you done there. I was going to comment on the ram tube, but you have already explained.
          Congrats
          Daryl
          Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
          Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

• damo1
            • May 2010

Originally posted by ngwagon View Post
            Looks good mate.. I prob would of made the head turn the other way over the roof.. What's the stuff you put around the hole in the guard? What's it made out of too?

Aye NG, F*#K man you must live on here it seems every time i post you hit straight back bahahahhaha

In regards to the snorkel, the head is facing forwards as most do to make the most of the ram air affect.

This effect forces air into the air box when driving at speed, from what ive heard anything over about 80ks and you benifite from this.

Ive read it can over a long trip give you about 10% better fuel economy- only time will tell if it is true.

The stuff around the guard hole is just just steel reinforced rubber edging you get it from Clark rubber and it is about 12$ a meter.
            I only got about 200mm so was about 4$ they have rolls of the stuff.

Cheers for your feedback.

Comment

• damo1
              • May 2010

Originally posted by dbomba View Post
              Great looking job you done there. I was going to comment on the ram tube, but you have already explained.
              Congrats
              Daryl
              Cheers mate

Comment

• ngwagon
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • mt evelyn

No not on here all the time just most of it..lol... Great job.. I'm thinking of making my own. Just not sure how to bolt it the the A pillar cos my radio aerial is there too on the drivers side..? My 7 year old son said it's not a 4by unless we have 1.. Lol kids

Comment

• damo1
                  • May 2010

No not on here all the time just most of it..lol... Great job.. I'm thinking of making my own. Just not sure how to bolt it the the A pillar cos my radio aerial is there too on the drivers side..? My 7 year old son said it's not a 4by unless we have 1.. Lol kids

Mate used a bit of 30x30 angle welded at the right angle.

Drilled 4x holes for added support and rivnut/ nutserted the pillar and used 4x m5 bolts to hold it.

I also sandwiched a bit of rubber between the bracket and the pillar for acouple of reasons.

1: to aid the vibration
                  2: it actually keeps the area around the nutserts dry as it squashes down tight around them when the snorkel is tightened down on it.

cheers damo

Comment

• Blaknight
                    • May 2010
                    • Tarneit

Originally posted by damo1 View Post
                    In regards to the snorkel, the head is facing forwards as most do to make the most of the ram air affect.

This effect forces air into the air box when driving at speed, from what ive heard anything over about 80ks and you benifite from this.

Ive read it can over a long trip give you about 10% better fuel economy- only time will tell if it is true.
                    This is true, however the Safari's and the AirTech snorkel heads all have a water catcher and a hole at the back to allow drainage, without this the water from rain etc will go straight into your air intake, that is why i faced mine to the rear plus having too much air rammed on a gas carbi apparently is not good, as it starves the engine of gas.

Looks good though man.
                    Gen 1 SWB NC. (RIP).

Comment

• Blaknight
                      • May 2010
                      • Tarneit

NG Mate i removed my Radio aerial and got one from SCA and mounted it near my UHF aerial.

Attached Files
                      Gen 1 SWB NC. (RIP).

Comment

• ngwagon
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • mt evelyn

Good idea blacknight.. Will stop into a metal joint near work tomorrow and see what they have kicking around for scrap stuff..

Comment

• my.paj
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Tullamarine

Looks good, is it steel pipe.
                          Rick
                          Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                          New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• ngwagon
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • mt evelyn

i emailed millweld yesterday and they ONLY make stuff for patrols and thedre stainless snorks start at $500..

Comment

• dbomba
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Homebase Sydney

Damo1, I have to say the pics look good but had a better look at the job you done. Happened to see your vehicle today. A fine job and finish.
                              Regards
                              Daryl
                              Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
                              Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X