Below Nav Bar

Collapse

4wd issues (grinding in 4hcl, wont select 4h)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrells
    • Feb 2017
    • Toowoomba

4wd issues (grinding in 4hcl, wont select 4h)

My nj wont select 4h, but will select 4hcl and 4llc, but when in those teo modes theres a rather loud grinding sound that comes when turning and accelerating and while under load. Also makes a similar grinding sound if you try drive off in 4h. Cv's have been replaced, diff has been rebuilt with a lokka and nothing was found in it. Wondering if this is an actuator or vacuum issue? No one can give me much direction on it
  • thebeandr
    • Apr 2017
    • Little Hartley NSW

i would have said CV's or transfer case, could be an issue with the selector? where does the noise sound like it is coming from?

Comment

• chrells
      • Feb 2017
      • Toowoomba

Cv's have been replaced and so has the transfer case. I think it's highly unlikely to have 2 busted transfer cases right? It's definitely coming from the front, kinda sounds like the actuator shaft isnt engaging properly or something so 4wd isn't fully engaged, but im no mechanic

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

Can you safely disconnect a line from the actuator to prevent it being moved in/out and see if that stops the noise??
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Pull the console and check the condition of the plastic ball on the bottom of the selector. other than that I would disconnect the front drive shaft and we if the noise continues. . See if you can get noise by lifting the front wheels off the ground and spin them you may be able the get a better idea of the location
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X