• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slatibaadfast
    • Aug 2012
    • east gippsland

ECU 'fault'

Hello,
    recently, I had a problem with the Air-con fans and the people on here helped me out no end.
    anyway, while searching for the right relay, one of the things I pulled was, what I learned later to be the ECU.
    now, the problem I have is over the past 2 weeks, I don't drive that much anymore due to reasons, so maybe every 4 or 5 day, we'll head into the local village, so 130k's round trip. when driving the car has developed what we used to call a 'flat spot'. it isn't backfiring/missing but even when cruising you can feel the little 'misses'.

my question is this; Did I stuff something up by yanking the ECU and do I need to 'reset' it?

it was fine until. in fact it didn't develop the problem until about the second journey out.
    I thought it might be just a blocked injector or two, but I read about some ECU problems on here.

oh, the car: 2004 NP exceed, 3.8 petrol

thank you.
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

To me, it sounds like the ECU is relearning its parameters again, I find if I disconnect the battery on mine (same as yours, 3.8 V6) the first couple of drivers are 'different' gear changes occur at strange RPMs, idling is a bit higher, power delivery is slightly altered, etc. In saying that 130k * 4 = 520k, I would have thought it'd have finished its learning phase by now.

Wouldn't hurt to leave it for a little bit longer, might sort itself out on its own. Otherwise if you were poking around in the engine bay testing the fans you may have knocked something like a sensor? The timing fits with something that you've done during troubleshooting but i've had many occasions where i've been led astray by a fault occuring right after a repair (rusting fuel tank immediately after spark plugs, failed serpentine belt tensioner straight after a major service, failed CV joint after fixing the 4x4 solenoids) I swear this car hates me.
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• slatibaadfast
      • Aug 2012
      • east gippsland

thanks marcthelegend for your reply.

sorry about the lateness, health problems are a pin in the ....,

anyway, I thought it was an ECUnit. it's the large, light grey rectangular box in the middle of the relay box next to the battery. I'm not sure if that is an ECU but the problems didn't arise until after I pulled the bloody thing out.
      I'll try your suggestion and hope it works. the 'missing' doesn't seem to bother the car, (pisses me off though) when 'cruising' is when it 'misses' lift or plant the foot is when it occurs.

I don't mean to sound as though I'm rambling but it's easier to solve when you have as much info as possible.

again thanks.
      I'll let you know how I get on.

cheers.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X