• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

He has not told us specifics for the transfer case damage, he has just over 4" of lift subframe drops and 35's we have another with similar mods (accept he has 4.9 diffs) who has no issues so we have been putting it down to driver aggression as much as transfer case failure. (not saying this is your case) he just comes to the facebook group every now and then saying he stuffed another transfer case then starts ragging on how weak Paj's are - He does not come out with the group so we only have his word on whats happening, but it seems he breaks everything 4x4 he runs lol (patrols etc are no exception)...

As stated I dont give what this guy says much credence but having seen you posts about case failure and the fact I intend to get reduction gears eventually I am weary of how far I can push the wagon - especially as I intend to go 35's as well on my next tyre purchase. Gears and 4.9 diffs are in the distant future for now though.
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

I too have destroyed a gen 4 transfer case

I know nj_swb knows the story and has seen the photos but it may be of interest to others?

I was having issues with the transfer case’s rear output shaft speed sensor getting chewed out. After the second I dropped the oil and found this in the oil (1/4" washer for size scale);

I then pulled the transfer case apart to see if I could find the source of the metal particles.

Found the source! Planetary gear teeth!

Damage inside the transfer case (from the planetary gear teeth) was extensive.

Check out the bearing supporting the front output shaft!

Needless to say, the old transfer case was binned and I installed a low mileage second hand one.

What I found amazing was despite the damage, the transfer case remained quiet and smooth!

Forum member ‘GordonC’ has also had a transfer case failure -

And ‘simonpf’ - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...=Transfer+case

And ‘Chooseboost’ - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...=Transfer+case

And ‘Iron Bark Hak’ - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=50625

I wonder how many more there are?
      Last edited by geopaj; 10-02-18, 01:27 PM.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

I knew there were a couple here - did not realise there was more than a couple - are they all gen 4? and were they all similar issues?
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          The mixing of genes has begun!

Shorty has 3.15 low range gears - kind of... They're in Shorty's transfer case, from the wrecked NW, but the transfer case is in the NT. The NT's transfer case, also with 3.15 gears, will hopefully end up in Shorty - but it currently has a problem, so it's been pulled and is sitting on the floor in Razorback481's garage. Hopefully we'll get a chance to begin the disassembly tomorrow, to try to identify what's gone wrong - once we've got twisted32's transfer case fixed. If all goes well, the NT's case will be repairable, and head for Shorty. If not, I'll need to find another transfer case, install the reduction gears (now that we know how) and that will end up in Shorty.
          Frankenshorty!
          Can't wait for the lightning bolt to complete the resurrection.
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• NJV6
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • New Zealand

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
            I knew there were a couple here - did not realise there was more than a couple - are they all gen 4? and were they all similar issues?
            If you follow the pajero drivers Australia Facebook page it’s pretty common for someone to ask for a gen 4 transfer case.
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

all I can say is wow..... after all the toughness of the earlier ones this happens..... as pointed out of course there is a lot more torque going through the driveline of the newer ones though

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X