• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pblaauw
    • Nov 2012
    • Johannesburg, South Africa

Torsion bars WITH coilovers?

So as I posted before, I sourced (for free ) a set of OME heavy duty Patrol Y60 rear coils. This should give me a nice 40mm lift at the rear on my NL LWB Pajero, but now I'm afraid it's going to look 'nose down'. Usually you would just turn the torsion bars, but I'm worried it's going to give it a very harsh ride. I need to add that at the moment I'm running KYB Excel-G shocks/dampers (not sure what term you guys use) on it.

So, the idea I've had is to rather look at getting a adjustable coil-over shock/damper on the front, something like these Camil Suspensions (locally made).

At the rear I'll be swapping over to a Gabriel HDP, also a locally made damper. I run these on my wife's NH SWB, and they are brilliant.

The question I have is about the coil-overs and the torsion bars...are they going to massively fight each other? Should I just slack the torsion bars slightly then? Will a good shock/damper take away the harsh ride from the 'tight' torsion bars?

• GM...
    • Jan 2013
    • Gold Coast

Did you ever find a solution. I'm interested if anyone has successfully fitted coil overs.
    98 NL Pajero, 3.2 Common rail Diesel, Auto with some work.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Not sure you’ll get a response from pblaauw- they haven’t been on the forum since 2014
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by GM... View Post
        Did you ever find a solution. I'm interested if anyone has successfully fitted coil overs.
        I'd be wary about it.

The torsion bar front end transfers the weight of the front end via the torsion bars to a cross member under the vehicle. The upper mounts of the shock absorber are only to resist the dynamic forces of the shock absorber extending and compressing as the suspension cycles.

Installing coil-overs will place vehicle weight on the upper mounts - at the very least, you would need to have these reinforced for the additional load.

"Backing off" the torsion bars will reduce the ride height, for the coil-overs to lift it back again, but this doesn't actually alter the spring rate of the torsion bar. The coils will add to the existing spring rate, which may or may not be a bad thing - depending on spring rate ("stiffness") of the existing torsion bars, the spring rate of the coil-overs, and the overall desired rate of the combination.

Interesting idea, and I'd be interested in following a "build thread" if somebody attempts it.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

100% agree with NJ and do not forget the bottom shocker mounts in regards to their design function and strength.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• stumagoo
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Perth WA S.O.R

I spent some time looking to see if a coil over setup from a gen 3 could be made to work with a gen 2. and short answer is yes, BUT all the mounts would need to be fabricated and welded to the chassis. this is a major undertaking and there are alternatives to getting more travel all of which involve custom controlarms or spacers and all of which have their own major drawbacks and increased possiblility for suspension failure
            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• GM...
              • Jan 2013
              • Gold Coast

My main reason for the thought was for a more comfortable ride. The ride at the moment is very firm, like there Is no spring left.

Would replacing the torsion bars help?

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by GM... View Post
                My main reason for the thought was for a more comfortable ride. The ride at the moment is very firm, like there Is no spring left.

Would replacing the torsion bars help?

Cheers
                Have you checked you have both compression and extension travel?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• GM...
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Gold Coast

yes there is room for travel if thats what you are referring to, there is about 50mm of downward travel available, and nothing stoping up travel other than torsion bar.

I have an NJ ( sons ) and NL with pretty much the same setup, except the NJ has OME sport shocks, the NL has Tough dog foam.

i think i may have answered my own question, i'll change the shocks around and see
                  how it rides..

cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X