• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Connormcintosh
    • Jun 2015
    • Gascoyne Junction

Coral Coast revisit

The Mrs and I recently decided we were working far too much and were in need of a few days off, booked the time off and we have 9 days on the coast between Exmouth and Shark Bay with Carnarvon as our hub. Friday night it was a straight drive to Galena Bridge station for a quick camp on the Murchison River. The roof top tent is brilliant for quick pits tops like this as when you don't have to put up the annex every time.

From there it was a straight shoot to Carnarvon, Collect some mates and then straight up to the blowholes for a few days camp. We passed one of my favourite stop over points about two hours south from Carnarvon only a kilometer north of the 26th Parallel. As you can see it's a really nice spot with brilliant views and for whatever reason has absolutely no wind most of the time. Reminds me a little bit of a Mad Max kind of landscape and we love it. So very sad to see that it has now been closed off to everyone for overnight stays, there is always a few people staying here and it had a nice community feel. No reason given for it to be closed off most likely to the rubbish people always left behind. At least we can still drive up here and have a good look while we drive by.

Quick supply up in Carnarvon and getting stopped in the streets by far too many people remembering us. Then straight up to the blowholes at quobba for a few nights. there was a few of us; one with a trusty old caravan, us with the rooftopper and another with a swag. Gotta say unless you have kids a rooftopper is the perfect trade off for us, the only draw back being that you don't have use of the car in camp without packing up. The swag couple hating their comfort/nights sleep and the caravan taking over an hour to setup properly.

It was a brilliant few days fishing and 4wding in the region with the brilliant wildlife always being very close. The kids picked up a thorny devil from the road as most of his mates had been squished and thought it would be funny to try and scare me.

Really orange nice sunset

And a damn good feed from one of the most genius cookplates I have ever seen! its just a steel cut with the edges bent up and nuts welded to the bottom that the 12" bolts get screwed into so it can be stored flat. $5 and a 30 minutes in the shed with the welder.

Cracking first light over the dunes.

And the obligatory pictures that you have to take whilst being there.

Trying to catch the bulldust behind us

Back in Carnarvon now for the day before we head back up the coast
    Had; 2005 NP 3.8L auto with all the berries

Now 2010 Patrol Zd30 with even more berries
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

Looks great, can't wait to get back up that way soon!
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Connormcintosh
      • Jun 2015
      • Gascoyne Junction

Last half of the week

Carrying on from the last post we headed up to Waroora station through coral bay and up to Yardie creek without touching any bitumen except around Coral bay. The Coastal tracks were really nice drives (after the tyres were put down to 22PSI for the corrugations) Some cracking dunes, Termite mound, greenery and views of the Ningaloo reef. The corrugations were so bad from the Ningaloo homestead back out to the highway and were some of the worst we had ever experienced, 25km took us just short of an hour and caused us a lot of problems. We are always a bit disappointed with the Ningaloo station as the price is triple that of adjoining stations prices and you are rarely within a 5 minute walk of the world heritage reef that we are all here for. For our money we enjoy spending more time in Waroora station. Cape range National Park even some of the public sites in Coral Bay are busy actually have really nice a atmosphere and a low price.

Had a few failures after such bad corrugations for the whole three days, Mainly the light bar and the awning, the bolts holding the awning on had sheared clean off and had to use chicken wire and cable ties to get us back into town. The brackets on the light bar both just snapped straight off, quick tape bush fix and we were on our way again.

Was a photographer for a bush wedding at a local station and we had 15mm of rain in a few hours for the first time of the year and it made the whole station into sludge.... After the quiet sobbing of the bride had subsided I pronounced that we were having a whale of a time and I haven't had a wedding as fun as that one.

Last edited by Connormcintosh; 05-09-16, 12:11 AM.
      Had; 2005 NP 3.8L auto with all the berries

Now 2010 Patrol Zd30 with even more berries

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X