X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nifty
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009

340,000K pump failed. sold cheap with failed pump.

Comment

• Gus
      Administrator
      • Mar 2008
      • Traralgon. Vic

Mine was still going on the original when sold just under 300 thou would be very surprised if it doesn't continue to do so..
      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• pmgraham
        • Nov 2012
        • Gold Coast

185000. Has done the Simpson twice (that I know of) and some outback trips.

Issues:

timing guide - caught just in time at 120 K (just after we bought it)

circlip came off top vacuum chamber - the forum saved me from $1500 in replacing every hose or solenoid and instead fixed with a 50 cent clip

transfer case switches have been playing up for the last 30k, finally getting around to replacing them.

Fuel pump died at 170 000

Clock spring just died. Lights in the dash are slowing disappearing one by one

Pros:

Comfortable
        Handles well on road and on corrugations
        The Super Select is great
        Performed as well as more heavily modified Patrols in the desert
        Better payload than a 200 series or Patrol
        Paul

2005 NP GLX DID auto, TJM underbody protection, NESA GPS, DVD, camera, twin wheel carrier, king springs, lift, heavy duty tow, electric brake controller, tracklander rack, dual battery, Milford barrier, snorkel, secondary tank, tint, alloy front bar, narva spots, 265/75 BFG AT, JVC head unit, kicker splits, media player, stainless tank with electric pump

Comment

• billnjim
          • Feb 2012
          • Secret Harbo

2004 diesel, have replaced alternator, radiator, exhaust, fitted erg blank and replaced suspension - last three items were my choice as I towed a jayco ob camper and intended to tow the new caravan. Bought with 80k on the clock in 2011 and now has 155k on it. Mainly used as the wife's runabout now and occasional 4wd use when I know the tracks will scratch the 200s paint work; the paj has had somewhat a sheltered life where it was rarely used (could sit idle for months as it was used for towing and country runs only) which now is the case for the 200. Still love driving the paj when I get the opportunity.......

Comment

• smwhiskey
            • Feb 2012
            • Brisbane

175K on the odo
            Serviced every 5K since we bought it from a little old lady who drove it to church on Sundays (true story - She and husband bought it to do a lap of the country but never managed it after he passed away)
            Upgraded the suspension when I bought it.
            Got the fuel pump reconditionned at 135K because it had a slight leak. Drove it fro 8000km after they told me about it
            Just got the sensors replaced on the transfer case a month or so ago

Does <10l/100km on the highway. 11-12 around town

Simon
            2003 NP DID Exceed with a bit of lift and a hunk of steel on the front with some stuff hanging off it

Comment

• outbackogre
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Melbourne

I've had a great run out of my NP. I've owned it for 6 years and 160,000 kms (after purchasing it from original owner at 120,000). In that time, all I've done (in addition to regular servicing) is the upper timing chain guide, the engine oil sender, and the rear brake proportion valve. However, at 280,000 kms, with original wheel bearings, CV's, companion shafts, suspension bushes (sounding a bit noisy), starter motor, alternator, along with major drive train components, and EGR not blocked, I decided not to push my luck any further. I've just traded her in on a 2012 NW. If I get the same sort of trouble free run out of the new one, I'll be very happy. Love that car!!
              Last edited by outbackogre; 30-10-16, 08:24 PM.
              My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
              -------------------------------------------------------------
              MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• k100dennis
                • Dec 2015
                • Railton, Tasmania

Full service history with my np, including receipts, log book omments etc. Never over-serviced, but done per the manual. Most vehicles carry some kind of potentially expensive risk. I have a BMW K1200 lt bike, the electric brake modulators are known to fail and they're about $3K. I don't worry about it, just use and enjoy.
                2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Brisbane

Does anyone know the part number for these pumps? If I can find a reconditioned pump it might be cheaper and/or less risk than getting mine refurbished.

I'm at that point of deciding if it is worth fixing the suspension, seats and pump or getting a new bus.
                  2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Cairns

Originally posted by shopping trolley View Post
                    does anyone know the part number for these pumps?
                    me190711
                    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Just under 6 weeks and we have responses from 73 owners - not bad.

Of those 73, 13 report a replaced pump - one in 6? That's not so good.

Two thirds have covered more than 200k km, and about 1 in 5 more than 300k km.

Pump issues aside, I'd say it's a pretty solid engine. A $5k fix could be a reasonable investment.

I've made this thread a sticky to save it from being buried.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Cairns

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Of those 73, 13 report a replaced pump - one in 6? That's not so good.
                        True, but these vehicles ain't getting any younger. These engines hit our shores in 2002, 14 years ago now. The youngest will be 2006, still a decade old!
                        ALL injector pumps will give up eventually. The only whinge about this pump on the DiD is the expense. They inject fuel at about 17500psi, extremely high pressure for a rotary type pump, about 5x the pressure of a pump that would be used on an indirect injected diesel.
                        They are complex and have must have extremely fine internal tolerances. That makes them expensive.
                        This is the price we pay for efficiency and performance!
                        Cheers, Dan.
                        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• conquistador
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • sth east queensland

No issues apart from
                          a starter motor that was swapped out at 220. Original rebuilt and is now a spare.
                          Had some dramas with brake calipers rebuilt rears
                          & the rear diff location bushes need replacing.

The pump and gearbox replacement cost is the only issue i see.

I haven't read of anyone that has been successful in recon of the pump <$2000 that hasn't then had a rebuild/replace =$5000.

Comment

• Rich0
                            • Dec 2011
                            • Sydney, South

NM 2002 3.2 DiD
                            Second owner.
                            Purchased with 120k.
                            Now 210k
                            DMF and EGR already done.
                            Original pump AFAIK
                            I replaced the top chain guide straight away and it showed little sign of wear.
                            Rear drive shaft seals failed and have been replaced but the seals were flogged, no signs companion shafts popped out.
                            Inlet manifold cleaned at 200k
                            Oil done closer to 5k than 7.5k
                            Suspension bushes done.
                            Front left bearing done.
                            Lifted, accessorized, running like a dream.
                            Hope I haven't jinxed it.
                            2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
                            My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• VuPaj
                              • Dec 2016
                              • Ardeer

Just bought my first Paj 2 weeks ago after some nights reading the forum! - nearly bought a 120 prado...

2006 exceed with 183,000km.
                              stock as a rock and serviced on time every time.
                              no know issues from the previous 1 owner with all dealer service logs.
                              I'm keen to get the top chain guide looked at or changed ASAP but wonder if anyone in the western suburbs do them please?
                              also whether the EGR block was necessary and how much it cost?
                              going in for an ECU flash tomorrow.

thanks guys.

Comment

• Vaughan
                                • Sep 2015
                                • Melton, Vic

Hi VuPaj,

Im located in Melton, so not far from you!

I replaced my timing chain guide, part from local mitsi dealer (had to order it in) <$50 and about an hour or less to replace.

EGR blank, I got off ebay, very cheap as its a small stainless steel plate, and can be fitted in less than 10 mins.

Where are you going for ECU reflash? Be interested to see the improvements you get.

My paj is off for a dyno run tomorrow to try and get to the bottom of high fuel usage. Dreading the results, as I have a feeling it may be injector pump!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X