• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jokerraus
    • Apr 2016
    • Beaumaris 3193

Loosing Coolant.PB Challenger 2010

The temperature gauge does not alter,but after travelling as little as 50km when the car has cooled the next morning the coolant level has dropped needing from 1/2 lt to a litre of coolant added .I have been back to MM in Oct-replaced water pump? replaced balance shaft belt,and timing belt . 10th Nov went back as I took photo of lower fan shroud-came off and melted landed on top of radiator and top radiator hose (Could have damaged radiator-but did not) 22nd December pressure test advised leak from cylinder head at front.Had to go away to Cobram -Christmas- checked coolant lever every hour -no change in level.Checked every morning for 2000km, no change.Then it started again.On the 9 th Feb took it in to check re the cylinder head .Pressure tested again no overheat issues.On 9th March went back because still loosing Coolant,result of pressure test no fault.I would not take until they found out the cause.
    They kept the car until 17th.Result-replaced top radiator hose,dismanteld front of motor,replaced water pump bolts,replaced radiator fan,(damaged by lower front shroud,and replaced timing belt cover damaged by front shrowed I say)replaced thermostat kit, ,relaced 13 Bolt-flange,replaced engine coolant and bled system,carried out pressure test ok.All up around $3000.But there is more,the coolant is needing to be filled by 1/2 to 1 litre every 2 or three days in the morning.I still check the level every morning,some days is does not change,then it does.
    They want it back,
    I`m asking myself that Mitsubishi head Office should know about my problem.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

here the $m question - is it still under warranty ?

cooling system campaign fail ? = new long motor

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• picard
      Valued Member
      • May 2011
      • wollongong

Ring Mitsubishi head office straight away and complain to them about how the problem isn't being dealt with appropriately.
      I had a simular problem with the turbo leaking oil and the dealer tried to say " it is part of normal operation", needles to say MMA didn't tolerate this and had it replaced under warranty.
      So pressure them to act on the Resonsibilities.
      mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• whynot
        • Jan 2013
        • Brisbane

I presume that the cooling system service / recall campain was completed?
        What pressure rating is on the radiator cap?
        Prado 150 petrol.
        Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
        Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• BMN
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2010
          • Perth WA

Originally posted by littleriver View Post

Does the warranty terms apply with a recall ?. If the recall has been done then IMO the system is being stressed tested until if and when it lets go i.e. warranty applyies until the recall items placed on the car are removed ? I decided to not have the recall done so unsure of the long term recall protocol on this issue. Some recalls are done 5,10,15yrs when some cars are ready for the scrap heap, but the recall still applyies
          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• Jokerraus
            • Apr 2016
            • Beaumaris 3193

cooling system campaign fail ? = new long motor

Warranty has passed.Campaign 02116 completed 22 Oct 2014 93,487 km now 121,000km problem started around 111,000 km

Comment

• Jokerraus
              • Apr 2016
              • Beaumaris 3193

Originally posted by whynot View Post
              I presume that the cooling system service / recall campain was completed?
              What pressure rating is on the radiator cap?
              It's 127

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by Jokerraus View Post
                Warranty has passed.Campaign 02116 completed 22 Oct 2014 93,487 km now 121,000km problem started around 111,000 km
                our vehicle initially passed the safety campaign, 3 months later whilst in 4WD low range for around 2hrs of hill climbs she started to flow out the overflow ...
                took it back to mitsi and they drained out some from the overflow and put the original radiator cap on (but it kept loosing fluid to the atmosphere via vaper as a gas) ... that's when we took it to an independent mechanic that performed the Combustion Gas Leak Detector test (sure enough failed). Back to Mitsubishi where they performed a third test to determine whether a head replacement or total engine replacement ... the latter full engine replacement was done ... a search in google (triton/challenger) will come up with a lot of info on this matter (some are actually on their third motor) - If motor was replaced with a new motor that was made after March 2014 they apparently fixed the problem in production (fingers crossed) ...

Really hope they come to the party of fixing your vehicle under warranty as the problem was there pre end of warranty period ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jokerraus
                  • Apr 2016
                  • Beaumaris 3193

our vehicle initially passed the safety campaign, 3 months later whilst in 4WD low range for around 2hrs of hill climbs she started to flow out the overflow ...
                  took it back to mitsi and they drained out some from the overflow and put the original radiator cap on (but it kept loosing fluid to the atmosphere via vaper as a gas) ... that's when we took it to an independent mechanic that performed the Combustion Gas Leak Detector test (sure enough failed). Back to Mitsubishi where they performed a third test to determine whether a head replacement or total engine replacement ... the latter full engine replacement was done ... a search in google (triton/challenger) will come up with a lot of info on this matter (some are actually on their third motor) - If motor was replaced with a new motor that was made after March 2014 they apparently fixed the problem in production (fingers crossed) ...

Really hope they come to the party of fixing your vehicle under warranty as the problem was there pre end of warranty period ...

Thanks.I`ll quote this to them tomorrow

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Cairns

Having had to hunt out a similar coolant loss issue on my 4M41 Pajero last year, albeit my coolant loss was minor in comparison, pull all of your glow plugs out ASAP and compare all four of them. If you have a cylinder eating coolant, the glow plug will be spotless clean. This is a foolproof sign that you are losing coolant into a cylinder and burning it off.
                    Attached Files
                    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• barney351
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Sth East,Vic

All the best for you tomorrow Jokerraus, with the criticism Mits have been copping regarding their handling of build quality issues, one would think they should come to the party for you.

Cheers

Comment

• Jokerraus
                        • Apr 2016
                        • Beaumaris 3193

Can't get the vehicle booked in until 19th.In the meantime I had a coolant combined with water left on the road under neath the front passsenger side radiator( more than a normal air conditioner amount and not in that position)This is happening about very day.I`m adding water to the coolant resevoir as too expensive adding coolant.Used a litre this morning.

Comment

• barney351
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Sth East,Vic

Can't get the vehicle booked in until 19th.In the meantime I had a coolant combined with water left on the road under neath the front passsenger side radiator( more than a normal air conditioner amount and not in that position)This is happening about very day.I`m adding water to the coolant resevoir as too expensive adding coolant.Used a litre this morning.

19th???
                          i understand they are busy, but a bit more urgency from the dealer would of been nice,

Comment

• KevL
                            • May 2015
                            • Murphys Creek

Just a possibility from left field. The hose from the radiator to the overflow tank is fully intact? A leaky hose could produce most of the symptoms.

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

think it's time for MMA customer service to get involved ... msg them on facebook with your vehicles details and concerns (on facebook hit msg button to send personal msg) ... I would say that it is unacceptable you have to wait for such a long time with such a serious issue ... A loan car my be provided to you by mitsubishi themselves (as I have encountered same issue when vehicle was not in working order - as dealer couldn't supply the time neither the loan car)...... the follow up from MMA on facebook is remarkable to say the least ...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X