• Show
Clear All
  • Georgie
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2013
    • Secret Harbour WA

Shake Down With The New Toy

Hi All
    After a trip away to test out the newly acquired 200 series up to Paynes Find
    and the Mt Magnet area towing the 3 ton off road van I have to say why didn't I purchase the Toyota four years ago instead of the Paj don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Paj and the power was there for towing but I was always worried about being right on the limits of weights I also believe WA Transport/Mainroads are coming out with a dedicated unit for testing the caravans and the vehicles that are towing them so I think we will see a fair few people in trouble with the down load limits and the overall weights any way the Tojo pulled the van with no trouble it seemed effortless fuel consumption was on apar with the Paj but the V8 wasn't working anywhere near as hard so yes I am well pleased with my purchase
    Cheers
    Georgie
    2015 Sahara
    Black Mica in colour
    BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Great to hear your feedback Georgie.....I'm looking to go that way for my next purchase too. Fuel consumption was the only negative that I could find, but it sounds like its not too bad in your experience. What fuel consumption does it get when you aren't towing?
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I recently competed a Simpson crossing with the Vic Pajero Club, in a group that included Twisted32 (auto NW), a manual NT diesel and two 200 series cruisers.

From Birdsville to Kulgera, the lowest consumption was Twisted32's NW, with 103 litres. The two 200 series turned in 128 and 130 litres (IIRC). My NT returned 109 litres, and the manual was slightly higher (heavier, less clearance, less aggressive tyres needed to work harder).

The biggest difference (based on dash readouts) came in the easier running, where the extra weight hurt the most. In heavier going, slogging up soft sand dunes in temperatures above 40 degrees, the figures reported by trip computers were much closer.

The 200 series may be significantly larger and heavier, but the engine rarely needs to work as hard.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Onslow
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Perth, Western Australia

Thanks NJ SWB. I'm running a 76 Series for work at the moment and the V8 is bloody brilliant. I suspect the twin turbo on the 200 Series would be even sweeter again. (sorry for the thread hijack Georgie....)
        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• whynot
          • Jan 2013
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          I recently competed a Simpson crossing with the Vic Pajero Club, in a group that included Twisted32 (auto NW), a manual NT diesel and two 200 series cruisers.

From Birdsville to Kulgera, the lowest consumption was Twisted32's NW, with 103 litres. The two 200 series turned in 128 and 130 litres (IIRC). My NT returned 109 litres, and the manual was slightly higher (heavier, less clearance, less aggressive tyres needed to work harder).

The biggest difference (based on dash readouts) came in the easier running, where the extra weight hurt the most. In heavier going, slogging up soft sand dunes in temperatures above 40 degrees, the figures reported by trip computers were much closer.

The 200 series may be significantly larger and heavier, but the engine rarely needs to work as hard.

Hi nj, was that the group going east to west or west to east?
          Do you know what figures the blue fj returned? We spoke with a group not far into their trip from Poeppel corner.
          Prado 150 petrol.
          Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
          Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by whynot View Post
            Hi nj, was that the group going east to west or west to east?
            Do you know what figures the blue fj returned? We spoke with a group not far into their trip from Poeppel corner.
            Yes, I was in that group, being led by Papa Smurf in the Smurfinator.

I think he used a little over 120 litres.

Edit: 126 litres Birdsville to Kulgera.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X