• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • red1234
    • Feb 2017
    • australia

Originally posted by Lakey View Post
    What about their poor cousin Windows / Windows Phone?
    We intend to provide support for Windows but it will come after Android and iOS releases.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

• red1234
      • Feb 2017
      • australia

All

I wanted to provide an update on this app. We have continued to progress the project and currently we are recruiting 4wders to help collect baseline data. Initial focus will be on capturing track data for Victoria, with a focus on the High Country region.

Please yell out if you are interested in providing GPS track data (you might already be recording your tracks). We will be offering free use of the app (including premium features) on launch for those who contribute.

Many thanks

James.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

• red1234
        • Feb 2017
        • australia

Hi all

Quick update on progress - we have further progressed with development and have gained access to a huge dataset of GPS track logs covering most of Australia. This will represent our baseline dataset and we plan to have something out in the market by October.

I have been doing the rounds visiting 4x4 club member meetings (in Vic) to spread the word and gain valuable feedback. Support from the community has been fantastic, showing a real need for this solution.

We have also built a prototype analysis engine which can ingest standard GPX track logs to figure out where problem areas are along tracks. Difficulty is based on comparing performance of cars and their respective setups.

Check out the mock up screenshots in the galley on our website at www.newtracs.com.au/gallery

Cheers
        James

Comment

• red1234
          • Feb 2017
          • australia

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on this for those who haven't been getting newsletters. I have release a prototype version of my newly built 4wd track map. The map includes track difficulties which I welcome you to scrutinise for accuracy. Testing has shown excellent results so far. This map has been made from track logs of multiple users, and our database continues to grow from contributions of personal track logs. I can process standard GPX track logs exported by most GPS tracker apps/devices.

I have also put up a quick 1 min walkthrough of navigating the map. See here https://youtu.be/E8mX7dAp6i

As always keen to get your feedback on how it works and level of accuracy based on your knowledge.

Note this map doesn't work offline, still working on the mobile app for iOS and will be out early next year.

IF YOU HAVE TRACK LOGS, please consider contributing to the database! See https://www.newtracs.com.au/track-log-upload.

500 KMs of track logs submitted will get you your first years subscription to premium features for free as well as first go at the app as a beta tester.

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.

Cheers guys
          James

Comment

• TC.Barky
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2011
            • Melbourne

Very cool idea if you can get it working and will be watching with interest. Just had a quick look at your map. Classifying tracks is very subjective but I will say I had a quick flick around the map and a large number I would disagree with.

Couple examples that you've got rated the same (blue)

- Mcmillans Track is a 2wd access road to Talbotville which you've got labelled as blue (medium). I've taken a subaru liberty down there (and that was when it was about as rough and rocky as it will ever get).
            - Butcher Country Track you've also classified as a blue. The last pinch of this track when travelling westward is very gnarly (I would rate it double black diamond) travelling the other way would be a real challenge that I'd be reluctant to try with my car. The rest of the track if those massive mud holes at the north end are gone yeah possibly a blue (if not most people who are happy to take blue tracks would not want to touch this track).

I imagine this is largely a proof of concept at this stage and once you get some real data coming in it will hopefully become more accurate. But I think you might want to sit down with a few people who really know the areas and tighten up some of your initial ratings if you don't want to scare people away.
            MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
            Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post

- Mcmillans Track is a 2wd access road to Talbotville which you've got labelled as blue (medium). I've taken a subaru liberty down there (and that was when it was about as rough and rocky as it will ever get).
              - Butcher Country Track you've also classified as a blue. The last pinch of this track when travelling westward is very gnarly (I would rate it double black diamond) travelling the other way would be a real challenge that I'd be reluctant to try with my car. The rest of the track if those massive mud holes at the north end are gone yeah possibly a blue (if not most people who are happy to take blue tracks would not want to touch this track).
              Generally speaking, I agree with Barky's comments above. McMillans is literally 2wd terrain (I was with m_and_m when he towed his caravan down, and back up again - not exactly challenging), and Butcher Country is tougher, but I haven't driven Butcher Country enough to know it as well. However, with regards to McMillans, it may be wise to leave it as blue.

McMillans may not be technically difficult, but I have personally seen two 4wds run out of brakes on the long, gentle descent. Because it was "2wd territory", two different drivers didn't think it warranted "4wd techniques", and ran down the hill on their brakes.

Unbelievably, the second driver to run out of brakes had been hit from behind when the first driver ran out of brakes.

Both were members of a 4wd club, and had attended a proficiency training course. Leaving it as "blue" may encourage drivers to treat the descent with a little more respect.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• TC.Barky
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2011
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                Generally speaking, I agree with Barky's comments above. McMillans is literally 2wd terrain (I was with m_and_m when he towed his caravan down, and back up again - not exactly challenging), and Butcher Country is tougher, but I haven't driven Butcher Country enough to know it as well. However, with regards to McMillans, it may be wise to leave it as blue.

McMillans may not be technically difficult, but I have personally seen two 4wds run out of brakes on the long, gentle descent. Because it was "2wd territory", two different drivers didn't think it warranted "4wd techniques", and ran down the hill on their brakes.

Unbelievably, the second driver to run out of brakes had been hit from behind when the first driver ran out of brakes.

Both were members of a 4wd club, and had attended a proficiency training course. Leaving it as "blue" may encourage drivers to treat the descent with a little more respect.
                Yeah not a bad point. Although not strictly required I usually use low range on McMillans when towing in or out so that's something to consider too I guess.

I also wouldn't be mad if less people went to Talbotville
                MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• red1234
                  • Feb 2017
                  • australia

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                  Very cool idea if you can get it working and will be watching with interest. Just had a quick look at your map. Classifying tracks is very subjective but I will say I had a quick flick around the map and a large number I would disagree with.

I imagine this is largely a proof of concept at this stage and once you get some real data coming in it will hopefully become more accurate. But I think you might want to sit down with a few people who really know the areas and tighten up some of your initial ratings if you don't want to scare people away.

Thanks for this feedback. Ill look into both of these and review. I can say that Butcher Country was downgraded to blue based on the fact it was recently graded - however I dont have data to suggest it was graded the entire length. I can upgrade should this not be the case.

Re McMillans - I have built in a slight bias towards rating tracks higher than they should certain conditions be met, for safety - this has been graded as blue because it has relatively steep sections that could be an issue in the wet - as mentioned it would be good to have low range despite it being fairly tame. For this reason I'm comfortable to leave it as blue. But Ill be tweaking the backend to look out for similar tracks and manage them ongoing.

Great feedback so far guys - keep it up. Any feedback or comments on tracks that are graded correctly? And as always if anyone has any recent track logs they can share please get in touch!

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                    And as always if anyone has any recent track logs they can share please get in touch!
                    I've just submitted some Ozi track plots, exported from Ozi to .GPX format by the PC version. Simple to do, and an easy way to get in the running for one year free subscription: https://www.newtracs.com.au/submit-trip-logs
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• KristenRad
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Kyiv

You have a great app, but here can be some difficulties with tracking apps. To solve them out, you can read that article. I`m sure, you catch some good thoughts from it.
                      I`ll appreciate if you read my article.

Comment

• Liam75
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Goongong

I think this is a great idea and be singing up.
                        At the moment I use satellite images like those from Google and Earth to look at the terrain.
                        Problem with those is they are not updated regularly.

Comment

• georgesmt
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Ashburn

Originally posted by KristenRad View Post
                          You have a great app, but here can be some difficulties with tracking apps. To solve them out, you can read that article. I`m sure, you catch some good thoughts from it.
                          I'd also recomment to check out this guide on location based app development

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X