• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calipex
    • Feb 2011
    • Northern Teriitory

Dust ingress - well it was a problem !!

Hi everyone - I was worried out dust ingress a few months back ..... not going to be a concern for a little bit ......

Just thought I would share this pic of the Plenty Highway today after some spectacular rain over the last 24 hrs. This is the turn off to Mt Riddock station - water water water as far as the eye (chopper!!) can see - all the creeks in the area are raging and looks like someone has gone crazy with a green highlighter - bit of a contrast to the normal dry red and black dirt.

Standing looking at all that water over the crossings today got me thinking that I should have just fitted the snorkle all that time ago.

Cheers

Cam
    Attached Files
    MY11 White XLS with cargo barrier, towbar, tint and Yoko Geo AT-S 265/65/17
    2000 Suzuki Carry Ute 4x4 - unfortunately is doesn't have enough seats anymore but the 2 dogs still love it
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Great Photo! it is amazing how quickly the country greens up with a decent soaking.

After the roads are open, you need to be careful driving through any standing water that is dirty. The silt particles held in suspension within the water will clog your Radiator, A/C, ATF and Intercoolers and cause overheating.

So any water deeper than 300mm that can enter your lower air scoop should be avoided or a blind fitted to prevent this dirty water from passing through the heat exchangers.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Joedan
      • Feb 2014
      • Narangba

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Great Photo! it is amazing how quickly the country greens up with a decent soaking.

After the roads are open, you need to be careful driving through any standing water that is dirty. The silt particles held in suspension within the water will clog your Radiator, A/C, ATF and Intercoolers and cause overheating.

So any water deeper than 300mm that can enter your lower air scoop should be avoided or a blind fitted to prevent this dirty water from passing through the heat exchangers.

cheers, old Jack.
      For the uneducated could you please explain what this lower air scoop is as I have never heard of it? Just crossed some creeks over the weekend so this piqued my interest. I only know of the air filter entry just under the bonnet.
      MY12 PB Challenger XLS Auto 7 seats - ARB Deluxe Bar, Bushskinz (Intercooler & Sump), MM Tow Kit, Scanguage II

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

All modern 4wds have split grilles so the there is an upper and lower grille. On the Challenger the lower grille (air inlet scoop) provides airflow to the intercooler, ATF cooler and the lower portion of both the radiator and A/C heat exchanger, it is when dirty slit ladened water is channeled through this scoop/lower grille and the the water in forced through the heat exchangers, the water evaporates and leaves a deposit of slitty mud that dries and blocks the air passages in the heat exchangers and it is this that causes over heating at a later date.

Also the PC Challenger has a different grille than the PB and provides much less protection of the heat exchangers so they are more susceptible to blocking and damage. Both the upper and lower grilles benefit from mesh bug screens and if venturing off road a strong mesh insert in the bullbar (no matter what make of bullbar) to add further protection to the lower air inlets.

cheers, old Jack.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X