• Pajaru
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Perth

ARB Ground Anchor

Has anyone got one of these
    ARB Ground Anchor
    or has any information about them.

Would you consider it a worth while investment.
    Would one of the cheaper ebay ones be just as good

Thanks
    Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
    To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
  • Bogger
    Unregistered as asked
    • May 2011

Jeezus at that price it should come with a couple of diggers in a bag with it For the odd time you may need it where there is no anchor point within reach just bury your spare

Comment

• my.paj
      • Dec 2010
      • Tullamarine

Your spare wheel in a hole would work as well.
      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
        Jeezus at that price it should come with a couple of diggers in a bag with it
        Dressed in bikinis too

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Wrex
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth

A set of maxtrax, tyre gauge, shovel and some 4wd training is all you need. They are heavy and expensive taking up room.

We did an exercise burying the spare and winching off that and 5 guys were huffing and puffing after digging the hole on the beach. We were huffing and puffing again after having to dig the tyre out. It is do-able but is not a quick exercise.

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

Yeah, you could spend $600+ on that, or just get a boat anchor.

Something like that would work equally well as that ARB unit.

Maybe even one of these, if suitable for an 8m boat (they weigh in at 3+ tonne) in the ocean and swell, then it will surely help pull a 2 tonne car out if there's nothing else to winch off.
            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Silver Streak
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Adelaide. South Aust.

I've often thought of getting a sand anchor, but not for $620!!! But I've had dreams of the sand anchor dislodging some how from the sand and it flying back through my windscreen. It would probably never happen with the design of an anchor tending to bury the front end of the anchor deeper as tension is applied.
              Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
              Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• Nik
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • Perth

Originally posted by Silver Streak View Post
                I've often thought of getting a sand anchor, but not for $620!!! But I've had dreams of the sand anchor dislodging some how from the sand and it flying back through my windscreen. It would probably never happen with the design of an anchor tending to bury the front end of the anchor deeper as tension is applied.
                I can't see how could that happen? It's not like you're snatching off it. If it does dislodge it's most likely just going to get pulled out slowly as the weight goes onto it. In the event it did somehow suddenly dislodge with the full weight of the vehicle on the line a winch cable or dyneema rope doesn't have stretch in it so it's not going to sling it back at you like a snatch strap under load would.
                2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Pajaru
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Perth

There are some cheap ones on ebay for around $120.

They weight around 14 - 16 kg but are big, I took a look at one while i was in ARB today.
                  Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
                  To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel

Comment

• dhula
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • South of Perth

Sand anchors (the boat type) would be OK if you really wanted something like that. You need to have a look at the construction and materials used and satisfy yourself that it's OK to use as a recovery device as these things are not designed to have a constant load applied to them like what you may see in a recovery of a bogged to the sills, fully loaded 4wd winching up a dune. From my experience they don't let go in a hurry, they just dig in further or the ground gives way and you drag the anchor towards the car.
                    I've used them in the past with smaller 4wd's and they do OK so long as you set them up correctly so that they dig in. The problem can be getting them out at the end but a rope tied to pull it out in the opposite direction to your winching makes life easier.
                    The ones that fold flat are the go as they take up less space, but it's still space and weight that you probably don't need to carry, especially if you already are carrying maxtrax type things as well.
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Nab
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Perth

That's $620 USD, so in Australian shops it will be about $1500....
                      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X