• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nervis
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • Central West NSW

Originally posted by Bing View Post
    What kind (brand) of metal cutter were you using?

Great Work and thread.
    Flexovit 1mm discs on a 5" Makita grinder, and a 350mm Makita drop saw with 3mm flexofit disc.

Thats pretty much all I used... I did ahve access to chop up some sheet on a gillotine though, MUCH easier than the 1mm disc!
    Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• Rendrag
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Central Coast, NSW

Looks good

When you have a few mins, would you mind listing out the process for getting it inspected/registered? I know the process for the ACT, but the RTA site is quite seriously lacking in info for NSW I'm in the process of designing up a small trailer for my motorbike, so curious to know the actual process

Cheers,

DG
      VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
      Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
      '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
      '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• nervis
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • Central West NSW

Originally posted by Rendrag View Post
        Looks good

When you have a few mins, would you mind listing out the process for getting it inspected/registered? I know the process for the ACT, but the RTA site is quite seriously lacking in info for NSW I'm in the process of designing up a small trailer for my motorbike, so curious to know the actual process

Cheers,

DG
        DG, head to your local Blue Slip station a week or so before your ready to have the trailer inspected, you will need to fill out some paperwork to apply for a VIN, once they get that back, you can get a blue slip done on the trailer (you must also provide a weigh bridge ticket at the time of blue slip inspection, get one of these from a public weigh station) once you have yor blue slip, head to the RTA and finish off some paper work, hand over some coin and you get your number plate and rego label. you must also attach a build plate with your VIN etc to the trailer.. (That reminds me, I still need to do mine!)

Also check out http://www.v6lancer.com/images/trail...lltrailers.pdf for some legal info on building small trailers.

Mick
        Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• nervis
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2009
          • Central West NSW

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          As all others have said, Nice job there Mikey. Ah the bridle track. That was my second home 20 years ago. Would love to see it nowdays. You could always post some pics

Shane.
          I have some pics of Long Point Rd... but none of the Bridle track!!! how slack am I!!!

Actually, i may have some from a previous trip.. ill see what I can find

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

nervis, how did you bend up the metal? Or did you get that done somewhere.
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• nervis
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2009
              • Central West NSW

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
              nervis, how did you bend up the metal? Or did you get that done somewhere.
              The sheet? yeah, a mate of mine has a folder at his workshop, gave him a few bucks to bend some bits up for me.

Mick

Comment

• Rendrag
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Central Coast, NSW

Originally posted by nervis View Post
                DG, head to your local Blue Slip station a week or so before your ready to have the trailer inspected, you will need to fill out some paperwork to apply for a VIN, once they get that back, you can get a blue slip done on the trailer (you must also provide a weigh bridge ticket at the time of blue slip inspection, get one of these from a public weigh station) once you have yor blue slip, head to the RTA and finish off some paper work, hand over some coin and you get your number plate and rego label. you must also attach a build plate with your VIN etc to the trailer.. (That reminds me, I still need to do mine!)

Also check out http://www.v6lancer.com/images/trail...lltrailers.pdf for some legal info on building small trailers.

Mick
                Thanks mate, PS, a better link for VSB1 is http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...sb1/index.aspx - straight from the horses mouth, so to speak

Sounds like it's easier in some ways than doing it in the ACT (inspection at ACT is at the rego authority. Although more of a pain in others (you take your completed (except VIN) plate with you for the inspection, and if it passes they stamp the VIN onto the plate for you, then rivet the plate to the frame where you want it..)

Although the fact that I can just take it to my 'local bloke' who does my car and bike will make it shedloads easier! (Lol the old bloke just stands there yarning on about his bike each year when I take the bike in...)

Question: how did you work out the drawbar strength? The calcs are leaving me somewhat confused..?

aka
                Longitudinal tension and compression (N) 1.5 x 9.81 x ATM (kg).
                Transverse thrust, and vertical tension/compression is (N) 0.5 x 9.81 x ATM (kg).
                Is that as simple as saying it needs to take 1.5 times the (loaded) trailer mass in pull/push at the coupling end of the drawbar, and half the (loaded) trailer mass up/down/left/right at the coupling? The relationship between newtons, gravity, and the trailer weight is getting me confused..

Oh, also.. how did you go with insurance? I know when I insured my 8x5, I had to go back to where I bought it, to get them to value the trailer *with* the removable cage I built for it, before NRMA would insure it for anything more than I paid for it.. Not quite sure how that works with a homebuilt

Thanks,

DG
                VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
                '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• nervis
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • Central West NSW

Draw bar is 1800mm long, and is 100x50x3mm RHS... Its a combination of what other trailer makers are using x slight over kill x what looks right (eye ball engineering).. I could have gone shorter in draw bar though, but Im happy with where its at.

Mick

Comment

• mr moose
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • vic, mornington peninsula

Originally posted by Rendrag View Post
                    Question: how did you work out the drawbar strength? The calcs are leaving me somewhat confused..?

Is that as simple as saying it needs to take 1.5 times the (loaded) trailer mass in pull/push at the coupling end of the drawbar, and half the (loaded) trailer mass up/down/left/right at the coupling? The relationship between newtons, gravity, and the trailer weight is getting me confused..

Thanks,

DG
                    more or less, 9.81 is the gravitational force (in newtons) that acts on 1Kg of mass. So by multiplying 9.81 by the ATM you you know how much force will be applied to the draw bar when towed. So the first bit 1.5x means (as you summised) the drawbar needs to be able to handle 1.5 times the force that that is required to tow the trailer.

hope that makes sense
                    96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
                    Look at me

Comment

• sharky
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2008
                      • Kilmore

Some nice work there Mikey, probably one of the best designs I've seen.
                      ----------------------------
                      'Steve'
                      2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

bugga where did all the photos go from this mega build?
                        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• RUGGA
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2014
                          • Adelaide

Looks like nervis has not been on here for almost a year. I checked on Myswag and the pictures to his build thread are gone there too. Very unfortunate when these things happen.
                          02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Jaster
                            • Apr 2008
                            • Wollongong, NSW

Damn, I would also have loved to see 'em ....
                            Current: Cool Silver '11 NT RX Auto
                            Retired: Green '02 NM Exceed Manual

Comment

• The_Bat
                              • Aug 2014
                              • Canberra

Originally posted by Jaster View Post
                              Damn, I would also have loved to see 'em ....
                              Second that...
                              2011 NT Pajero, ARB Sahara Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guard, Bushskinz Side Steps, 2in lift OME Suspension, Rhino Rails, Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, Pioneer AVH-7500DAX Stereo, BF Goodrich KO2, a ton of Labrador fur, ...

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by The_Bat View Post
                                Second that...

Join the My Swag mod...heaps of builds on there..
                                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X