• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john pajero
    • Dec 2016
    • melb

low fuel light

I ran out of fuel today and realised the low fuel light has stopped working.

I haven't been able to find a thread where someone has mentioned replacing the low fuel light (or any warning lights eg oil, engine etc... for that matter). Are they accessible on the cluster?

Also, the fuel gauge needle seemed to bottom out at half way between 1/4 and empty. Have never noticed this before today, is this normal?
    John

2006 NP 3.2DID Auto, Smart bar, Glind heat exchange shower system, Boos bash plates, Redarc towpro elite, Custom roof rack, Ebay snorkel, winch, Kings awning, Old school uniden UHF, diff breathers, Custom sliders, Middle exhaust delete, Custom quick remove rear shelf.
  • Terryo
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

Not fuel light related but might be a help pulling dash apart.
    I haven't seen any one with low fuel light problems either.
    Fairly easy job to pull the dash apart.

Terry
    2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
    NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
    NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

You may have a problem with the float in the fuel tank sticking as it gets to the lower levels. This would cause the gauge to stick and possibly the low level light not to come on as well.

Comment

• john pajero
        • Dec 2016
        • melb

Originally posted by erad View Post
        You may have a problem with the float in the fuel tank sticking as it gets to the lower levels. This would cause the gauge to stick and possibly the low level light not to come on as well.
        Ok, so I gained access to the top of the fuel tank from under the middle driver side seat by removing all 3 covers.

The fuel pickup and the return line both enter through the cover, however there was no sign of a float or any sensor for that matter.

The pickup and return line feed into the back of the tank in a small area that is separated from the rest of the tank by a yellow plastic partition. Therefore I could not inspect the rest of the tank.

I inspected my fuel tank from below and it has been pushed up a bit. About 25mm towards the middle and front. Maybe only 5-10mm at the back which its where the pickup sits. Using a bit of hardwood and hammer, I knocked it back down at the pickup point.

I'm not confident that I have helped my issue but will monitor and post my findings. Anyone who knows something I have missed please let me know,

(didn't think to get a photo of inside the tank, but took one of the pickup cover during reassembly)
        Attached Files
        John

2006 NP 3.2DID Auto, Smart bar, Glind heat exchange shower system, Boos bash plates, Redarc towpro elite, Custom roof rack, Ebay snorkel, winch, Kings awning, Old school uniden UHF, diff breathers, Custom sliders, Middle exhaust delete, Custom quick remove rear shelf.

Comment

• john pajero
          • Dec 2016
          • melb

Originally posted by Terryo View Post
          Not fuel light related but might be a help pulling dash apart.
          I haven't seen any one with low fuel light problems either.
          Fairly easy job to pull the dash apart.

Terry
          Haven't looked at this yet Terry. Need to replace a super select light at some point so will look then when if the problem is still there
          John

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

So no electrical plug in the top of that part then?

Comment

• john pajero
              • Dec 2016
              • melb

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
              So no electrical plug in the top of that part then?
              no electrics, just the 2 fuel lines
              John

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

The fuel sender unit is in a different location to the pick up and return line. See diagram below (item numbered 05145) and also read the thread I have linked as it tells you where the access panel to the fuel sender unit is located.

Attached Files
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• john pajero
                  • Dec 2016
                  • melb

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                  The fuel sender unit is in a different location to the pick up and return line. See diagram below (item numbered 05145) and also read the thread I have linked as it tells you where the access panel to the fuel sender unit is located.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=59358
                  aha makes more sense. My tank is dinged about 25mm upwards at that point, probably stopping the float too high.

Any ideas on how to push/pull the ding out at this location without removing the tank?
                  Also, can the float be accessed without removing the tank?

I think a solid bash plate will need to be added to the wanted list
                  John

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

The fuel sender unit can be accessed as per the thread I posted thr9ugh an access panel. Once the panel is off you will see the top of the fuel sender unit which has 3 bolts. You can then undo it and remove it. This like the pick up and return hose panel leaves a small access hole into the tank which you may be able to use an appropriate peice of wood to puch down from the inside of the tank. See pics below.

Actually just found another thread of changing the fuel sender unit with pics.

Attached Files

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Sorell, Tasmania

Further to last. I'm guessing the tank has been dented up which in some way has disturbed/bent the arm to the sender. As per the last thread I linked it may be worth purchasing a new one prior to doing the job but upto you.

The low fuel light on the dash will not come on if the fuel sender unit is not working correctly, so doubt it is the globe behind the dash in my opinion.

Previously
                      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• john pajero
                        • Dec 2016
                        • melb

Just had the sensor out and it tested ok with the low fuel light coming on. (thanks aussieintas for your pointers)

Used a timber and hammer to panel beat the bottom of the tank back. I gave it a bit of a belting and think I reclaimed about 15mm of depth. Will see how the gauge performs over the next few weeks.

You have to remove the middle seats to roll back the carpet. The double seat it a heavy bugger, that was a surprise.

After completing the job and checking the gauge, I gave the dash a single firm tap to the top and the missing super select light sprung back into action. Yeeeeha!
                        Attached Files
                        John

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X