• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talisker
    • Mar 2019
    • Victoria

Adding Heated seats

I have a 2014 manual an wondering if anyone has tried to add heated front seats, so I have questions like,
    1/ Is the wiring in place so I just need heater elements an switches
    2/Can you buy the seat elements on their own an how difficult are they to install
    3/ Do you need to make a change to the body computer to enable the switching if the heating elements
    Anything else I should consider.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
  • eman
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Cranebrook, NSW

I did this to my 2009 NT, hopefully the procedure would be the same. I went from manual seats to electric and heated, all wiring was already in place.
    Just needed the seats obviously, switch block for the heated seats and the relay.
    2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

• Talisker
      • Mar 2019
      • Victoria

Thanks that's what I thought am wondering if I can just install the insert rather than having to replace the whole seat.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Looking on Partsouq.com you can buy the heating elements but they don't have them in stock, so might be an issue trying to source them. Also pretty expensive.

It would be difficult to take apart the seat and install in my opinion if you could find them. There are elements in the seat base and seat back for info. You'd still have to get switch block and relay.

Be easier just getting the whole seats and parts from a wreckers in my opinion.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Talisker
          • Mar 2019
          • Victoria

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
          Looking on Partsouq.com you can buy the heating elements but they don't have them in stock, so might be an issue trying to source them. Also pretty expensive.

It would be difficult to take apart the seat and install in my opinion if you could find them. There are elements in the seat base and seat back for info. You'd still have to get switch block and relay.

Be easier just getting the whole seats and parts from a wreckers in my opinion.
          Yeah I guess you are right will have to find some cheap seats in the same trim really appreciate your ideas an help.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2000
            • Tasmania

Another option I did on my Nl was to get a set of heated seat elements inc. back sections off eBay , took them to an upholsterer & he undid the seat trims & slipped the elements in. I then did the wiring myself & put 2 switches in to operate them. Worked out cheaper than buying new seats .
            NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
            NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Talisker
              • Mar 2019
              • Victoria

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
              Another option I did on my Nl was to get a set of heated seat elements inc. back sections off eBay , took them to an upholsterer & he undid the seat trims & slipped the elements in. I then did the wiring myself & put 2 switches in to operate them. Worked out cheaper than buying new seats .
              I like that idea a lot[emoji4], do you recall the brand of elements or eBay seller by chance..Confirming also be reprogramming required just relay switches etc and good to go.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2000
                • Tasmania

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
                I like that idea a lot[emoji4], do you recall the brand of elements or eBay seller by chance..Confirming also be reprogramming required just relay switches etc and good to go.

This was the one , I just wired them up to the cigarette lighter supply, no relays involved. This one was good in that it had many heat settings rather than plain old low & high.

NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X