• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xrsteve
    • Apr 2018
    • Victoria

Engine rattle

Hi all,

The Pajero 11 NT 3.2 has developed a rattle over last couple of weeks.

Only really noticeable under light throttle load. Sounds normal at idle and heavier load.

I can only here it when it’s hot/. No loss of power no smoke etc it’s running great just the this issue

I’m guessing it’s time for the valves to be adjusted.

I don’t know when they were done last I’ve done about 60,000 since owning it. It’s got 294,000 on the clock with full service history.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Get the upper timing chain guide checked. Sooner rather than later.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Xrsteve
      • Apr 2018
      • Victoria

Originally posted by psproule View Post
      Get the upper timing chain guide checked. Sooner rather than later.

Pat
      I’ll do it together. Are the symptoms similar to what I’m experiencing

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Has the recall been done for the tensioner?

Comment

• Freedom70
          • May 2018
          • Victoria

Last year I had what sounds like a similar issue to what you are experiencing but I hope the cause isn’t what mine was. Mine made a rattle/knocking sound but only when the engine was at operating temperature, between 1700 to 2000 rpm and under light acceleration. I did the valve clearances, replaced a split engine mount and had an injector relearn (SQL) done but the issue remained, it ended up being bad injectors. I hope in you case it’s something much simpler and cheaper to fix.

Below is the link to my thread which has other possible causes/fixes that may be helpful.

2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• Xrsteve
            • Apr 2018
            • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            Has the recall been done for the tensioner?
            I can only assume so. I took it to Mitsubishi who did an scan and update as I had the dreaded vibration about 2 years ago they said everything was up to date and all recalls had been completed.

Comment

• Xrsteve
              • Apr 2018
              • Victoria

Originally posted by Freedom70 View Post
              Last year I had what sounds like a similar issue to what you are experiencing but I hope the cause isn’t what mine was. Mine made a rattle/knocking sound but only when the engine was at operating temperature, between 1700 to 2000 rpm and under light acceleration. I did the valve clearances, replaced a split engine mount and had an injector relearn (SQL) done but the issue remained, it ended up being bad injectors. I hope in you case it’s something much simpler and cheaper to fix.

Below is the link to my thread which has other possible causes/fixes that may be helpful.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62584
              I just read through your post I recall reading it before when I sorted my engine mounts.

I’ll monitor it and sort it out in the next week I’ll do the valves and see where I go from there. I does sound like an injector rattle but I’ll go with the balance check first

Cher’s Steve

Comment

• Xrsteve
                • Apr 2018
                • Victoria

Hello members,

This morning when starting the car it didn’t seem very happy. It took a few cranks much more than usual and smelt more diesely then ever before.

Did anyone else experience this with Calabria or injector issues

Comment

• Freedom70
                  • May 2018
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by Xrsteve View Post
                  Hello members,

This morning when starting the car it didn’t seem very happy. It took a few cranks much more than usual and smelt more diesely then ever before.

Did anyone else experience this with Calabria or injector issues
                  When I had bad injectors, it started fine. It was only when the engine was at operating temperature that the issues showed up.
                  2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• thrillhouse
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Queensland

Hi everyone! Having a look and this may be what I am experiencing.

Our NT paj with 127thou has a ‘rattle’ when getting up the revs; around 2-3000 with your foot down you can hear what sounds like a chain rattle.

It recently had 120thou service and they didn’t do the valve/rocker adjustment. I did explain this issue and they said ‘likely fuel filter’ which was changed but no avail.

It only seems to make this noise when cold and seems to disappear once operational temp.

Could this be the valves/rocker arms needing adjustment? Or check timing chain/guide? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

Chain tensioners or valves could cause a rattle. But so can a loose lid on a catch can as I discovered a little while ago. But its not the same sound as valves or the timing chain.

I would be checking the valves first. Once there warm the clearances shrink meaning anything a little loose gets tightened up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• dundee10
                        • Aug 2011
                        • Secret Harbour, WA

I had a similar problem to this my cold engine would rattle but this was the radiator, turned out the cable to the glow plugs was broken thus harder to start with white smoke and a rough idle until the engine heated up, was fix now all good.
                        Pajero NT Active DiD, MMC Stainless Steel Bull Bar, 9.500lb Winch, Overlander Roof Rack, Hella 4000 Spotlights, Uniden UH7760NB Radio.

Comment

• Freedom70
                          • May 2018
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by thrillhouse View Post
                          Hi everyone! Having a look and this may be what I am experiencing.

Our NT paj with 127thou has a ‘rattle’ when getting up the revs; around 2-3000 with your foot down you can hear what sounds like a chain rattle.

It recently had 120thou service and they didn’t do the valve/rocker adjustment. I did explain this issue and they said ‘likely fuel filter’ which was changed but no avail.

It only seems to make this noise when cold and seems to disappear once operational temp.

Could this be the valves/rocker arms needing adjustment? Or check timing chain/guide? Thanks!

I assume you have a diesel, if so did you have the timing chain tensioner checked due to the recall?
                          2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• thrillhouse
                            • Nov 2019
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by Freedom70 View Post
                            I assume you have a diesel, if so did you have the timing chain tensioner checked due to the recall?

Hey sorry for the late reply - I’ve only owned the paj for six months so unsure if it was done as part of the recall. It is a diesel yes.

I’ll check the service history and if nothing in there I’ll call my local Mitsubishi service centre and surely they’d be able to tell me if it was done via a search of the VIN... I’ve found them to be very useless in my two dealings with them thus far, however.

Comment

• thrillhouse
                              • Nov 2019
                              • Queensland

Weird... service centre said ‘it didn’t affect your car’ despite being a diesel vehicle and the VIN in the specified range on the Govt website. Not sure if I believe that

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X