• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Who are they kidding-everyone knows that the parts to fix this wouldn't realistically cost more than $5-10 000, the $40 000 quote for parts is just stupid. And labour-40hrs-really?? I've not worked on jeeps, but I'm wondering how it would take a full working weeks worth of labour to do this job when it sounds like its just parts replacement (and I imagine an overestimation on what parts to replace knowing modern mechanics and dealerships-they just change them all). And $170/hr-wowsers!! That is some premium money for a bunch of people who obviously can't think outside the square. I'm guessing the mechanics themselves are seeing about $30/hr of that-surely the cost of staying open is a hell of a lot less than $140/hr. Those guys are taking home a lot of profit

Did anyone consider buying a written off car and just transferring parts/engine over? Surely the fuel system could be cleaned out of any metal fragments that are in there-reverse flushing or similar. I'm guessing its a common rail diesel, but I can't see how the parts would be worth anywhere near the amount they are charging, there just isn't that many parts there.

Other alternative is buying parts directly from the US. It seems like the car owners have gotten this quote and just left it at that, when I'm sure someone else somewhere would be willing to give it a go.

I think Jeep Australia has shot themselves in the foot with this one. For the cost of what they pay for parts (if its anything like other markets in Aus, the importer is probably more than doubling what they pay, then the retailer is making a smaller margin on top) which I guess would be a few thousand at the most, plus labour, they could have saved having this story spread around all the major news outlets and shared liberally on facebook and similar, when by their own admittance it was a manufacturer fault.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
      Be careful what we say here! We may well be in the same boat wrt parts supply as our fleet ages. Sure - there are plenty of wrecked Pajeros, but even those will dry up some time. It must only be a matter of time before parts for the trusty 3.2 diesel and the petrol variants disappear.
      No dramas whilst they are still selling new ones here - even petrols are still sold overseas.
      Then they are required by law to provide parts for many years after they stop selling them.
      At least Pajeros need far fewer parts than some other brands!
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• 2bad4u
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Perth, Western Australia

This sheds a bit more light on things.

8.6K views, 154 likes, 7 loves, 110 comments, 32 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Consumer Laws Australia: My thoughts on the news about the Jeep with the $47k repair bill. *** Update: FCA are...
        Warren
        2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
        2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• 2bad4u
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009

Got what they wanted and still not happy. Good on Jeep for fixing even though they didn’t have to. I wonder if any other manufacturer would do the same with a car out of warranty?

Warren

Comment

• ron.dunn
            • Jul 2019
            • Central Victoria

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
            Good on Jeep for fixing ...
            Respectfully, I disagree. While the car may have been out of Manufacturer's Warranty, it is still covered under Australian Consumer Law. A failure like that is not caused by wear and tear, and not within the expected parameters of operation.

I considered buying a Jeep Cherokee. I quite liked the Trailhawk model. But when I read about the persistent gearbox failures, coupled with Jeep's terrible attitude to warranty problems, I decided on anything but Jeep.
            Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Interesting story. Was relaying this to some friends of ours. They said their cx5 mazda was recently giving issues at least a year out of warranty, went to a few workshops who couldn't figure out what was happening. Sent them to mazda, who decided to swap the engine for free even though it was out of warranty. They didn't ask or anything, just did it for them

Comment

• Alben
                • Jul 2010
                • Victoria

I think John Cadogan sums it up best. https://youtu.be/iys9HibzFME
                2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Alben View Post
                  I think John Cadogan sums it up best. https://youtu.be/iys9HibzFME

Speaks my language. He,s right too....you,d have to be a bloody masochist to buy a jeep....
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• 2bad4u
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    Speaks my language. He,s right too....you,d have to be a bloody masochist to buy a jeep....
                    Or just not buy into all the media bull$#%t. Jeep are no worse than any other manufacturer. Were's the same level of bashing for Toyota's and their DPFs, Ford's and their gearboxes, Nissan's hand grenade engines? The list goes on. The guy who had the destroy my jeep campaign did a lot of damage but also achieved a lot of good for the Jeep brand. I wonder if there should be a destroy my Toyota campaign? I bet we would see the same people come out and start bashing them too (and probably have never owned one just like they've never owned a Jeep).

Reading this same crap from the regular Jeep bashers over and over again gets a bit tiring.

And where is Codogan's video (or the rest of the media for that matter) explaining how Jeep will be fixing the car?
                    Warren

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

Hey Dicko.

There is a 25 year old stunner who works in a coffee shop I frequent that owns a jeep Cherokee. Must as her if she's a masochist.

Could be fun.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

We should all buy Electric vehicles & save the planet

Check out this quotation

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

The follow up makes good viewing too:

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
                            Or just not buy into all the media bull$#%t. Jeep are no worse than any other manufacturer. Were's the same level of bashing for Toyota's and their DPFs, Ford's and their gearboxes, Nissan's hand grenade engines? The list goes on. The guy who had the destroy my jeep campaign did a lot of damage but also achieved a lot of good for the Jeep brand. I wonder if there should be a destroy my Toyota campaign? I bet we would see the same people come out and start bashing them too (and probably have never owned one just like they've never owned a Jeep).

Reading this same crap from the regular Jeep bashers over and over again gets a bit tiring. Especially as there is a hell of a lot of pissed off owners of jeeps.

And where is Codogan's video (or the rest of the media for that matter) explaining how Jeep will be fixing the car?

Sales figures reflect the attitude of people to jeep vehicles. Buyers are getting smarter, due to easy fact checking on google, social media and word of mouth. Media bullshit helps people buy cars. Seen bugger all media beat ups about the Pajero...or is this just a media cover up?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Dicko1; 02-10-19, 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Peterng
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2013
                              • Northern Rivers NSW

Sales figures reflect the attitude of people to jeep vehicles. Buyers are getting smarter, due to easy fact checking on google, social media and word of mouth. Media bullshit helps people buy cars. Seen bugger all media beat ups about the Pajero...or is this just a media cover up?
                              Pretty much sums it up...

There was a part media beat up on the Par recall due to I believe a steering arm issue on the latest model Paj..but it is how the vehicle manufacturers deal with the issues that can sway the potential buyer...
                              Jeep...it is the importer / manufacturer which has let the product down with their absolute contempt towards their customers, their stonewalling, denighing and outright ignorance...not once, but on numerous occasions.
                              The Jeep was a 2013 model and had a second owner...eventually the owner had to revert to media "shaming" to have their complaint seriously looked at by the manufacturer / importer..it just adds another black mark and prejudice against the product.

Comment

• markc
                                • Oct 2007
                                • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                                I count 4 Jeeps, 2 of which are Grand Cherokees on my street. No doubt they are popular despite reported issues. I think the only redeeming factor is they look nice.
                                And if you drive one they are great, car like, 3500kg towing capacity, heaps of grunt and class leading fuel economy.

Sadly all of that means nothing when your
                                1. broken down
                                2. trying to sell a make and model with known issues

If only they were made in Japan

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X