• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • e32lover
    • Nov 2011
    • Melbourne

What rims and offset for 287x75 r16's

Hi,

I've currently got 255x85 r16s on my NM, they have been great but they are a bit too skinny and on the stock alloys they don't stick out far enough.

I am pretty keen to install some 285x75 r16s, and was wondering what rims would fit best? I read on another thread that GU rims would work with a zero offset, does anyone have any advice relating to this matter? My car has a 2 inch lift so they should fit.
    NM- 33.1's, 2" Lift, Tranny, diff and TC breathers, underbody protection
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

No help with your actual question but what are the 255/85r16 tyres, and what are you doing with them?
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

How do you get a roadworthy certificate running 255/85R16, these are 833mm diameter so that is 57mm greater than factory spec and the legal limit is 50? These tyre's are approved to be fitted on 6.5" to 8" rims.

285/75R16 are slightly larger at 836mm diameter so that is 60mm larger than factory and require a rim width of 7.5" to 9", I think the MN only had 16 X 7 rims.

The tyre diameter rule is based on the theoretical diameter calculation rather than the actual which can vary from tyre brand and model. A mud tyre with 16mm tread depth can can diameter by 29mm between when new and worn to the legal limit.

LT265/75R16 are 813mm in diameter and can be fitte to 7" to 8" rims so these are a legal fit as they are only 37mm larger in diameter than factory tyre's.

Factory offset on a Gen 3 is P46 so P21 is the greatest legal increase in rim offset but the tyre's or the rims must not touch body, supsension or brakes during any part of the steering range or suspension travel.

If you plan to do any extended long range outback touring at GVM weights, then limiting the change is rim offset and increase in tyre diameter is a good idea as larger and wider tyre's and wider offset rims increase the loads on the steering, suspension, driveline and wheel bearings substantially, which will eventually lead to higher failure rates and more maintenance costs.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• ogijs
        • Jul 2016
        • Latvia

Originally posted by e32lover View Post
        Hi,

I've currently got 255x85 r16s on my NM, they have been great but they are a bit too skinny and on the stock alloys they don't stick out far enough.

I am pretty keen to install some 285x75 r16s, and was wondering what rims would fit best? I read on another thread that GU rims would work with a zero offset, does anyone have any advice relating to this matter? My car has a 2 inch lift so they should fit.
        Hi.
        I'm on 285/75R16s. Bought a set of patrol rims (Y61 if I'm not wrong) Offset is perfect for this car with this wheel size. Just to make everything perfect put rim center adaptors since patrol rims have bigger center diameter.
        Attached Files
        Pajero NP 3.2DiD 2003, OME 2'', 285/75R16 on Patrol Y61 16" wheels, Bravo snorkel, 4Revo winch. Custom/integrated side steps, Custom paint job and custom scratches

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by ogijs View Post
          Hi.
          I'm on 285/75R16s. Bought a set of patrol rims (Y61 if I'm not wrong) Offset is perfect for this car with this wheel size. Just to make everything perfect put rim center adaptors since patrol rims have bigger center diameter.
          For various engineering reasons, Y61 Patrol offset is not perfect for a Gen 3 or 4 Pajero, even with the larger tyres. It may make some people happy, and if it works for you that's good, but to call it perfect is simply wrong.

On the Gen 2, which came from the factory with +10 offset, changing to the GQ Patrol zero offset with 285/75R16 tyres helps to restore the steering geometry - that's a reduction of 10mm.

The Gen 3 Pajero came from the factory with a +46mm offset, and Y61 Patrols came with +10mm offset. A reduction in offset of 36mm is a very different change. Wheel bearing loads, steering component loads and steering geometry, even with the taller tyres, are all a long way from factory.

In Australia, the change is also a long way from legal.

The Y61 Patrol offset is not perfect. Y62, perhaps.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X