• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drgtr
    • Sep 2019
    • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
    Good suggestion thanks.

What confuses me now is that this morning, after having the negative lead off the battery all night, the drain wasn't there when I ran the same test linking up the neg lead to the neg terminal. All it showed was 5ma. Maybe the ECU went in to sleep mode after a time without power ??

More testing to be done.
    remember i had the same issue. parasitic test is not conclusive if you disconnect negative terminal as that will shut off whatever is draining and it wont come back.
    In my case as soon as i disconnect the negative terminal to do the parasitic test this will turn the amp definitely off so it wouldnt show up.

Only way is to have the multimeter terminals connected to the battery negative post and the positive while you pull off the battery cable so nothing is disconnected.

thats how I caught the amp too. While that was happening I yanked out 30 amp fuse and it amp draw dropped!

Comment

• Muzza
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Nsw

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
      you poor sods. lol
      Bloody amp.

So I placed an on and off switch in the cabin to the 30 amp fuse for the amp.
      Now problem is solved in an improvised way!

battery full and health and drain is only 20 miliamps
      Can you provide some more details on this, Fuse location and number, where did you put the switch, wire etc, it sounds like the go
      Thanks
      Muzza
      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
      2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
      2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• drgtr
        • Sep 2019
        • Rosemeadow

Where it plugs into is the fuse location. 30amp.

I ran two wires back into cabin to off and on switch.
        Now battery is always fully charged.
        Stupid amp
        Attached Files

Comment

• _jp_
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Adelaide Hills, SA

Where it plugs into is the fuse location. 30amp.

I ran two wires back into cabin to off and on switch.
          Now battery is always fully charged.
          Stupid amp
          Great idea for a solution/workaround. So does this issue only affect those with an after market head unit?
          NW GLXR - SOLD
          --------------
          EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

No, I don't have an aftermarket head unit so it's something else in my case.

Two days of no driving and it's down to 12.3 V
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Is this your original battery Ian? Original dont seem to last long or hold charge long.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

no mate, third one and not that old. I charged it up and then disconnected it last week to see if it held and it was fine. No loss at all. I have battery tester as well, and that says all good.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• drgtr
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
                  Great idea for a solution/workaround. So does this issue only affect those with an after market head unit?
                  Correct even with the adaptor harness. The amp wont turn off even if you turn the key off.

Only way is to shut down head unit first. wait a second or two then shut car off.
                  That or install the on off switch into the fuse.

Comment

• drgtr
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Rosemeadow

As I mentioned before unfortunately with the parasitic test. As soon as you disconnect the post whatever is draining it might turn off.

From factory the car doesnt have a inherit parasitic drain.
                    I can vouch its something thats been added or changed.

In saying that. You have done a parasitic test?

Should be no more than 20 milliamps or it shows as 0.02 on the multimeter

Was driving me mad. I knew it was something I changed or added.
                    Lucky I didnt waste money with auto electrician.

Comment

• drgtr
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Rosemeadow

no mate, third one and not that old. I charged it up and then disconnected it last week to see if it held and it was fine. No loss at all. I have battery tester as well, and that says all good.
                      Also check each door switch by pressing in slowly and make sure light goes out. Even if interior light is off. The switch can still drain if it thinks door is open.
                      To make sure its not factory stereo or amp.

Pull out the 30amp fuse for factor amplifier
                      plus lift up that yellow fuse holder as that does the factory stereo and all dash lights.

Comment

• drgtr
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Rosemeadow

Also do you have a brake controller?

Your automate and brake controller high likely suspects

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          Paddles & auto-mate shouldn't be draining your battery, but perhaps PM Marshall - he's pretty busy, and may not see this.
                          auto-mate and lockup-mate draw just 13mA when in standby. For comparison, and OBD2 reader uses between 30-50mA.

Prior to the Nov19 software version, auto-mate used 28mA. If you want, you can get the sw update by ordering via web - cost is just P&H.

Cheers Marshall
                          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• drgtr
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                            auto-mate and lockup-mate draw just 13mA when in standby. For comparison, and OBD2 reader uses between 30-50mA.

Prior to the Nov19 software version, auto-mate used 28mA. If you want, you can get the sw update by ordering via web - cost is just P&H.

Cheers Marshall
                            Thanks for the specs.

How much does it draw when live and not in standby

Comment

• m_and_m
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2010
                              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Thanks for the specs.

How much does it draw when live and not in standby
                              Depends on how much it’s driving the TCC solenoid, but typically not more than 1.5A.
                              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Ian H
                                Valued Member
                                • May 2015
                                • Melbourne

Hi Marshall. If I want to discount Auto Mate as being the problem (and I don't think it is) can i just take out the plug from the OBDII socket or should i disconnect it and insert those by-pass plugs ?

I'd also take out the Ultra Gauge at the same time.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X