• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Winter in Victoria

I bought my Paj. Sport in order to expand my flyfishing opportunities - I call it the 'Trout Truck'.

As someone who enjoys flyfishing in particular, I find it unfortunate that there has been nothing here since August 2019.

Just to 'freshen' it up a tiny amount, if you were contemplating pursuing some trout in Victoria, now that the river season has closed, you could do worse than visit Moorabool Reservoir, Newlyn Reservoir or Hepburn Lagoon - you'll find them East and North-east of Ballarat. I do have to warn though, it becomes very, very cool these winter mornings - in reality, more than a little icy at times.

Post Script . . . have just heard there has recently been a spate of car 'break-ins' on the Western side of Moorabool Reservoir. A good place to stay away from, methinks. I certainly will be - staying away that is. Can't have the new 'Trout Truck' vandalised in such a manner.

Probably needs a vigilante group out there to provide some encouragement to not do such things. It's unfortunate to observe that, these days, our community appears to have 'low-lifes' on every street corner. *sigh* Too many parents failing to provide their children with proper (decent) standards.
    Last edited by WHID; 17-06-20, 09:49 PM.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Too many parents failing to provide their children with proper (decent) standards.

Maybe the problem is the children do have their parents standards.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Too many parents failing to provide their children with proper (decent) standards.

Maybe the problem is the children do have their parents standards.

Head up to Cairns or Townsville mate. Our proud indigenous parents allow their kids to run rampant and crime is ridiculous.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• bugeater
        • Jun 2018
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by WHID View Post
        I bought my Paj. Sport in order to expand my flyfishing opportunities - I call it the 'Trout Truck'.
        One of the reasons I bought a Pajero Sport too. Wanted to be able to access some of the more remote rivers in the high country. Unfortunately young children make finding time for fly fishing tough. Parental duties, and even if I take the 7 year old with me, I really can't chuck him in waders to trail behind me. When the wading gets tough for me, there's no chance he can follow. Maybe I could tow him in a tethered inner tube?

Took him up to Big river a couple of weeks ago and within a few casts he was asking whether I'd hooked anything. Fishing at fish farms has ruined him...

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post

Head up to Cairns or Townsville mate. Our proud indigenous parents allow their kids to run rampant and crime is ridiculous.
          QLD as a whole has nothing to complain about, they love the managment of this state, voted for the same manangment 26 years out of 30.
          I recall at the last election, one party suggested if they were elected they would set a curfew in Townsville, trial it & get the children in with social workers to see what & why they were on the streets stealing cars & bashing people etc & if required take up any neglect on the parents behalf from there.

They were howled down, violation of human rights, disgusting racist party etc & the voting public in that area voted on mass for the same management, major swing for no change.
          They got that no change, win win

We've had stolen car driven by a teen kill a young couple in Brisbane since then, the list goes on.

Coppers in my area, pretty much over juvenile crime as they are powerless, catch them, they get bail & no consequences, kids know that as they are under age.

Stole my neighbours BMW twice in a fortnight, Coppers don't chase them too dangerous, just pick up the car when finished.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing & expect different results ​
          Last edited by Jasonmc73; 07-05-21, 11:07 PM.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

QLD as a whole has nothing to complain about, they love the managment of this state, voted for the same manangment 26 years out of 30.
            I recall at the last election, one party suggested if they were elected they would set a curfew in Townsville, trial it & get the children in with social workers to see what & why they were on the streets stealing cars & bashing people etc & if required take up any neglect on the parents behalf from there.

They were howled down, violation of human rights, disgusting racist party etc & the voting public in that area voted on mass for the same management, major swing for no change.
            They got that no change, win win

We've had stolen car driven by a teen kill a young couple in Brisbane since then, the list goes on.

Coppers in my area, pretty much over juvenile crime as they are powerless, catch them, they get bail & no consequences, kids know that as they are under age.

Stole my neighbours BMW twice in a fortnight, Coppers don't chase them too dangerous, just pick up the car when finished.

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing & expect different results ​
            Too true.
            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Old Paj
              Pajero Club Life Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Heathcote, Vic

The was an article in the paper here last week indicating that some kids, like 13 & 14 or so, were arrested as the car the stole the keys for, they discovered that they could drive it. It was a MANUAL!

So there is a tip in that, manual cars are probably far less likely to be stolen, at least in many of our larger cities/towns.
              NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Old Paj View Post
                The was an article in the paper here last week indicating that some kids, like 13 & 14 or so, were arrested as the car the stole the keys for, they discovered that they could drive it. It was a MANUAL!

So there is a tip in that, manual cars are probably far less likely to be stolen, at least in many of our larger cities/towns.
                A thief that isn't organised a "joy rider" opportunistic thief, ram raider.

Steering wheel lock, i use one of these religously & the alarm of course.

Theory being, there is plenty of other cars to steal that don't have a lump of steel across the steering wheel.

It's not an original idea, its an idea i took on board from local coppers.

Also sad but true, don't leave your car keys on the kitchen bench

https://www.autobarn.com.au/ab/Autob...1020/p/AC17982
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• gumtree
                  • May 2021
                  • NE Vic

Originally posted by WHID View Post
                  As someone who enjoys flyfishing in particular, I find it unfortunate that there has been nothing here since August 2019.
                  I saw this thread and thought...well...... a year has passed and it's May and the trout season closes on 15 June so plenty of time to con a fish into eating a bunch of feathers, bit of plastic or sliver of metal. Yep....I'm a bit of a keen angler too - in fact the gear lives in my Paj 24/7 and is used nearly every day. You see...I live in N/E Vic. Fishing waters every where...lake or river. I used to wave a fly rod around but not any more...the hooks are too flamin' small....hehe.

So....who's been out and what happened?

Comment

• WHID
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by gumtree View Post

So....who's been out and what happened?
                    Here you go, gumtree, just to keep it going . . .

Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing of which to write home about. Unless, of course, these pages qualify as 'home'.

A nice little 2lb plus rainbow, wrangled last weekend on a 'cased caddis' fly, worked ever so slowly, low in the water column.

Some dumbcluck set the camera settings so that the image was over-exposed. I wonder who that could have been?
                    4E60BBB6-9E9B-4C13-8F23-3081290E243F_1_201_a.jpeg
                    Last edited by WHID; 17-05-21, 09:10 PM.
                    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• gumtree
                      • May 2021
                      • NE Vic

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this sub-forum. Don't Paj drivers go fishing...... oh well......moving on.
                      I was given a heads up by a chef on cooking a trout. After gutting it lightly scatter some salt and pepper in the body cavity. Now stuff it with 50/50 well mixed grated carrot and grated leek, wrap in lightly Canola sprayed tinfoil and bake.
                      'Er indoors has refused to eat trout for a long time....eaten too many over the years. Well...this fish stimulated her appetite. She cleaned up every bit of flesh and wanted more to be cooked this way.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Many, many years ago I use to live in Vic and loved fishing. Murry River was the best. Cairn Curran reservoir. Used to catch trout, salmon, murray cod, redfin, perch...all the usual fish. Move d to the NT and started chasing barra. Forget the fresh water minnows from down South...this was fishing!! Started chasing marlin and sailfish...that was blast. If you really love your fishing you owe it to yourself to do at least one charter/self drive trip to the top-end or North Qld to experience the fishing and outback scenery. .
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

I was recently out on a charter boat within sight of the Gold Coast beaches, we landed a nice size Marlin for eating.
                          Small one maybe 6' longish & at a guess probably 40kg's
                          I've never eaten Marlin before, but i can assure you, it chews extremely well, never even realised people ate them .
                          Dangerous fish to land, enjoyed the experience, love palagics, although 1st one of that size i've ever seen.

Nice fish, but not a lot to do with Pajero's, although i drove a Triton to the boat ramp

One day it's on the bucket list Nth QLD charters, bores me to tears round here.

I've done few fishing trips to outer islands in the Solomon Islands, one trip was an isolated weather coast village, less people, real fun fishing, how it is suppose to be.

Fed the whole village, well probably 20-30 people for the days i was there, myself & couple village fella's.

For them fishing is like us going to the butcher shop i suppose, nice fella's.

But day to day they paddle wooden canoes, drop line on reefs & chase Bonito

I was on a slow moving ship, between islands, cargo & people ship, they couldn't have cared less that i threw a lure out the back, no problems!
                          Do that on the straddie flyer lol

Comment

• Kingbrown
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by gumtree View Post
                            After gutting it lightly scatter some salt and pepper in the body cavity. Now stuff it with 50/50 well mixed grated carrot and grated leek, wrap in lightly Canola sprayed tinfoil and bake.
                            I can understand how that would work well. With a bit of celery added you'd have the fundamentals of a mirepoix steaming inside your fish.
                            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

I was fishing with a village fella in the Solomon Islands, catching nothing, so he starts the boat wheels ashore on uninhabited island, climbs the coconut tree drags down some branches, proceeds to collect rocks, lit a fire soften the fronds so it will tie without ripping & pull the small white young leaf.

So wraps the small white leaf on the hook/ that's his lure, hangs the rock of the hook via palm frond/ sinker, when rock hits bottom of ocean 50 metres plus easy, pull & it breaks the frond off, start jigging.
                              We went home wth feed of fish with his method, worked a treat

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X