X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • convict
    • Aug 2009

MN Fuel Economy

I'm getting about 380 to 400km a tank and my 2011 GLX auto is stock with a steel bulbar towing a very light load on a trailer. I half expected to get around 700km a tank, My V6 NM Pajero got better fuel economy with 450km a tank.
    2011 GLX Triton Auto
  • shortSteve
    • Dec 2012
    • Perth

Ok, couple of things, the GLX has the older 4 speed auto, so is quite over geared, fine for unloaded economy with standard 30' tyres, but any modifications, tyres, lift, barwork etc will each add around 1L/100km.
    I am assuming you are using in excess of 15L/100km?
    Has it always been like this?
    Are you towing in Drive or manually selecting gears?
    When was the last time the intake manifold was cleaned?
    Have you replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF sensor/air filter?
    What tyre pressures do you run?
    A light trailer (say 750kg, assuming not an enclosed one...) you should be getting around 12-14L/100km, driven sensibly on a mix of highway and suburban roads. And 11-13L/100km without the trailer.
    Hope some of these comments give you a bit of direction to look in to better the economy.

sS

edit, the triton also has a smaller tank than the pajero, so better to compare how many litres go in for a given distance rather than a distance travelled.
    MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
    twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
    15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Bit confused here.

You posted on the NM page but say you have a 2011. If it is a 2011 I would think you would be looking at 550 to 600 minimum.

Do you tow in 4th?

Comment

• convict
        • Aug 2009

My tires are 245/70 R16 so not the choc'os ones people on here use. I've cleaned the MAF sensor and have put the ERG mod on(One that plugs into the airbox sensor). I don't drive like a choco so its not that and being a 4 speed I cant do quick selects like the GLX-R.
        Was told that the 4D56T intake manifold doesn't get as dirty as the 4M41 so I doubt its that.
        The Triton runs well no issues starting or over heating, Over takes good and has power from what I can tell driving up the Blue Mts it did well better then my old NM V6 Pajero.
        I know the tank is 75lt and I'm only getting 400km at tank so that's around 19l to a 100km. I just had the timing belts and crack seals done just after I purchased it, New air filter/oil filter fitted 3 weeks ago and the fuel filter has only done 20,000km I believe.

Its got me stumped, If it was blowing black smoke or running like shit I might have some idea on why my Fuel Economy is so poor.

Would taking the battery terminal off for some time reset the ECU to relearn? Is there another sensor I need to clean?
        2011 GLX Triton Auto

Comment

• convict
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
          Bit confused here.

You posted on the NM page but say you have a 2011. If it is a 2011 I would think you would be looking at 550 to 600 minimum.

Do you tow in 4th?
          .....Your post is confusing, I have a Triton GLX 2011 its why I posted on this thread don't know how that can stump people.
          And traveling from Sydney to Broken Hill of course I tow in 4th and why wouldn't I if its only a lite load?.
          2011 GLX Triton Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X