• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supazuk
    • Jun 2014
    • Katherine

PC challenger replacement fuel tank

Does anyone with a PC have a longrange tank? Happy with the fit and design?

All I seem to be able to find is a aux tank and I am not that keen on the effort to fit it.
    Also any suggestions of a online supplier?
    2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do
  • Bobkat
    • Mar 2011
    • Perth Souther Suburbs

That is one thing I hated about my Challenger. When towing I needed to fill up every 2-3 hours and the number of time I nearly ran out.

Now got the D-Max with 135L long range tank fitted and can now drive all day without fear of running out - have virtually double my range.

Bob

Comment

• Jackman
      • Dec 2010
      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by supazuk View Post
      Does anyone with a PC have a longrange tank? Happy with the fit and design?

All I seem to be able to find is a aux tank and I am not that keen on the effort to fit it.
      Also any suggestions of a online supplier?
      I have the brown davis 107l replacement tank in my PC Challenger and very happy with it. Doesn't hang too low even though while on Fraser a couple of weeks ago the tank did scrape a bit but no problems.

Installed by TJM and was around $1500 installed and certified.
      2021 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport GLX. 18'' ROH Hostile wheels and 265/65/18 Yokohama tyres.

Comment

• Sellers
        • Mar 2014
        • Gloucester NSW

I've not been quoted better than $2k for this tank installed and certified. Freight to far north qld is the main contributor I believe as no one up here deals directly or frequently with brown Davis.... still going to getone though as the factory tank recently got remodelled climbing out of Palm Ck on the OTL...
        MY14 PC Challenger; ARB Plates, GME 4500 UHF, Direction Plus prefilter kit, Smartbar, Airbags, Safari Snorkel, 12V aux system, HR Towbar, All Terrains on Steel, Brown Davis 107L LR Tank, Ultimate 40mm Lift, Rear Drawers.

Towing a Bartell Trailers custom 7' camper, Drifta DPOR kitchen, Beehive 10' tent. Australian made and modified all the way.

Comment

• aaron.miller
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Epping, NSW

Originally posted by Jackman View Post
          I have the brown davis 107l replacement tank in my PC Challenger and very happy with it. Doesn't hang too low even though while on Fraser a couple of weeks ago the tank did scrape a bit but no problems.

Installed by TJM and was around $1500 installed and certified.
          In intrigued, why does it need certifying?

Aaron
          2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• GrayKnight
            • Apr 2014
            • Central Coast NSW

I too have a Brown Davis tank in my PC Challenger. It was installed just before I did a two month trip through Central Australia. Clearance is less, and this caused a problem on the rough roads/tracks I was on. After bottoming repeatedly, the tank split very slightly (just above a welded seam) and a small, slow leak developed - about three days out from Coober Pedy on the Anne Beadell track. I patched it sufficiently and had the tank properly repaired when I returned home.

So, if you are thinking of installing one, keep in mind the types of 4WDriving you are likely to do and will a loss of clearance (it's only about 25mm or so) be a problem.

The installation of the tank was certified by TJM (as to having been installed correctly) and the cost was, as mentioned above, about $1500.

Cheers

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by aaron.miller View Post
              In intrigued, why does it need certifying?

Aaron
              In Qld at least they have to be individually mod plated.

Comment

• johndavis125262
                • Apr 2013
                • brisbane

there is a thread on here about them .and looking at them fitted there wasn't to much trouble in clearance most of the extra i thought was above the line regards john

Comment

• aus_andyk
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Melbourne

I went through this debate about 4 months ago and decided that the Brown Davis, 115L @ $1500 installed, was not worth the cost, as JohnDavis mentioned, for the extra capacity.

Even though it is an auxiliary tank, I decided to fit the LRA 135L tank @ $1800 installed.

I now have a total tank capacity of 205L (70L main + 135L Aux).

The issue with going this path, is finding another place for the spare. Like 02-SR5, I installed a Kaymar rear wheel carrier. Expensive option, at almost $3K

Many will argue carrying a few jerry cans of fuel is cheaper than the additional weight & expense per litre of the extra tank (Brown Davis or LRA). You also need to consider the extra weight.

Lots of information to consider, and a lot of helpful insight from members... all trying to assist you with making an informed decision.

Happy reading

Cheers
                  Andy
                  | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• supazuk
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Katherine

Originally posted by aus_andyk View Post
                    I went through this debate about 4 months ago and decided that the Brown Davis, 115L @ $1500 installed, was not worth the cost, as JohnDavis mentioned, for the extra capacity.

Even though it is an auxiliary tank, I decided to fit the LRA 135L tank @ $1800 installed.

I now have a total tank capacity of 205L (70L main + 135L Aux).

The issue with going this path, is finding another place for the spare. Like 02-SR5, I installed a Kaymar rear wheel carrier. Expensive option, at almost $3K

Many will argue carrying a few jerry cans of fuel is cheaper than the additional weight & expense per litre of the extra tank (Brown Davis or LRA). You also need to consider the extra weight.

Lots of information to consider, and a lot of helpful insight from members... all trying to assist you with making an informed decision.

Happy reading

Cheers
                    Andy

I don't want a swing away tyre carrier on my family car so if I went the aux tank
                    way the tyre would have to go in the boot. Would rather avoid that. As for the cost, a trip I do once a fortnight is long enough that I have to carry jerrycans. I
                    will be installing the tank and would have no problems making a bash plate to
                    protect the tank. I take it that brown Davis is the only manufacturer to make a replacement tank?
                    2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Bobkat
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Perth Souther Suburbs

It is all well and good adding another 135L tank but have you also considered whether you might need to increase the GVM, The full tank is adding about 150-160kg to your loading.

My D-Max has had the ARB GVM upgrade which gives me an extra 270kg that I can carry.

Comment

• supazuk
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Katherine

All I am asking about is fuel tanks. I am aware about the issues with extra weight. My other car has a gvm upgrade from 3300kg to 3800kg

Comment

• PeePee
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2012
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bobkat View Post
                          It is all well and good adding another 135L tank but have you also considered whether you might need to increase the GVM, The full tank is adding about 150-160kg to your loading.

My D-Max has had the ARB GVM upgrade which gives me an extra 270kg that I can carry.
                          So whats the process to gain a GVM upgrade?
                          MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• Sellers
                            • Mar 2014
                            • Gloucester NSW

Supazuk,

As far as I am aware. Brown Davis are the only ones to offer a replacement larger capacity tank. All others requrie removal of spare. (happy to be corrected..)

I agree with the statements above Re expense over jerrys, but my life is easier: I only need the jerries when travelling with the trailer, which carries 60L in Jerries so no need to mount them on the roof etc.

I'm only considering the brown davis 107L tank as my factory tank is being replaced on insurance and I'm not out of pocket to get the bigger tank. Keep in mind if you're thinking about a bash plate for this tank, you will just further reduce your clearance. one of the ways you get the extra 37L volume is that the BD tank comes down close to the profile of the factory bash plate, not just the original tank. therefore, any plate additional under that is just asking to get smashed.

just my two bob, still waiting on all quotes.

-Sellers
                            MY14 PC Challenger; ARB Plates, GME 4500 UHF, Direction Plus prefilter kit, Smartbar, Airbags, Safari Snorkel, 12V aux system, HR Towbar, All Terrains on Steel, Brown Davis 107L LR Tank, Ultimate 40mm Lift, Rear Drawers.

Towing a Bartell Trailers custom 7' camper, Drifta DPOR kitchen, Beehive 10' tent. Australian made and modified all the way.

Comment

• Bobkat
                              • Mar 2011
                              • Perth Souther Suburbs

Without annoying the OP (All I am asking about is fuel tanks. I am aware about the issues with extra weight. My other car has a gvm upgrade from 3300kg to 3800kg)

I did all my sums before closing the deal on the new car and when I added the weights for all the mods, ball weight and all that I expected to carry while touring, I had exceeded the payload by about 20kg.

I chose the ARB upgrade (http://www.arb.com.au/products/old-m.../gvm-upgrades/) at just under $2200. Having it done pre rego means it is logged into the national database but if done later it is only for the state of rego so if you move you need to have the engineering re-done.

One thing I did not think of with the upgrade was the 50mm lift I ended up with.

Originally posted by PeePee View Post
                              So whats the process to gain a GVM upgrade?
                              For those that have not thought of this I hope it help highlight problems you might encounter. All well and good adding the biggest tank you can fit but just remember it's weight.

We now return to your normal viewing

Oops, just want to add that you still need to stay within the GCM of the vehicle.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X