• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrorejap
    • Jun 2009
    • Lara, Victoria

Diesel Fuel Filter

Hi all, Just recently the mighty NT diesel stopped whilst driving along the highway. No warning just flame out. I managed to pull off the road & noticed the amber engine light on. Vehicle would not start so I called roadside assist. Local RACV man arrives & plugs in his little (reading device) which told him heavy fuel loss. We looked under vehicle .....nothing. Fuel pump would not pump up hard ...no fuel getting through. Took off filter & dirty fuel. So, flat top to local engineer & personal friend. Filter took off again next day & new one fitted. All is well, vehicle running very nicely. I cut the filter in half & it was just black. The paper filter was 98% black, hardly any yellow paper to be seen. I am confused, I fill up where others get their fuel without any dramas & even phoned local garage to check if there had been any "problems" recently......my engineer friend suggested filter looked like it was never changed from new. Dealer stated the filter was changed at the 30,000km service....vehicle now done 50.000km....no remote journeys...dust or dodgy servos. My question is....Whilst I know the filter has done it's job has anyone experienced fuel filters becoming blocked after 20,000km with normal driving?
  • HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

Never changed. IMO.
    Its possible that your fuel supply was filthy but not likely.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• Benny Bensen
      • Jan 2012
      • Germany

in germany we have the problem with 10 % " BIO Diesel " inside the normal Diesel.... you often get problems with the DPF.....

in winter we had -29 grad and the diesel was frozen inside the fuel pistol...

that was cracy...... and of course the filter was out of working....

but normaly there is no problem..... maybe there were only a few liters left in the tank of the petrol station.....

so you get the rest of the rest with water and so on inside the fule.....

Comment

• pauld
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2010
        • Melbourne

Probably never changed, you wouldn't be the 1st to suffer from dealership problems. Try find a reputible private mechanic.
        2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Jords
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2011
          • Kellyville Ridge

Try marking the filter for next time
          2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• apsilon
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Hills District NSW

Yep agree, filter was never changed. Also agree with marking it and checking before you leave the dealership.

Just one of the reason I do my own servicing.
            MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
            Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• mrorejap
              • Jun 2009
              • Lara, Victoria

Marking the filter & others!!!

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
              Yep agree, filter was never changed. Also agree with marking it and checking before you leave the dealership.

Just one of the reason I do my own servicing.
              In relation to marking items to check later to see if they have been changed I have done that before with wheels using a paint pen & putting a single dot up to 4 dots to check if wheels have been rotated. I don't like being deceiteful but at the end of the day a diesel fuel filter is $87.....now if the dealer can not supply or change ten (10) a day or 50 in a week.....adopting the "Leave it we'll change it next big service at 60,000km" that's a lot of savings!!! So out comes the paint pen and everything that has to be changed will be marked from now on. There are also pens that you can purchase as part of a marking of items for home security....the marking only comes up when an ultra violet light is shown onto the object. I know neighbourhood watch groups allow people to borrow these items and once on cannot be removed via an abrasive like petrol. I know this maybe a little over the top BUT.....marking your desposibles is the go.

Comment

• Alexey2357
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney

Originally posted by mrorejap View Post
                Dealer stated the filter was changed at the 30,000km service....vehicle now done 50.000km....no remote journeys...dust or dodgy servos. My question is....Whilst I know the filter has done it's job has anyone experienced fuel filters becoming blocked after 20,000km with normal driving?
                As apsilon I also did my servicing myself. Just 2 times I went to do it to service mechanics. The result is you're paying just for oil change and everything what they believe you can check. If they know that you can't check that some work was done it is very likely that they won't do it.

Here's the story http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=32360 I had the worst/bad service at JaxQuickFit tyres.
                Before that service I've changed the oil filter myself. After the service it was still the same. I wasn't sure if they changed oil in rear differential. Few month ago I decided to change and it was really dirty I'm 100% sure that it was not changed.

The reality is that I think it is very likely that most of the services do it that way. They just not interested that your car working properly. They just interested you're coming and bringing you money.

Comment

• Garry
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Devonport

Hi All, I run a pre-filter as well as the factory filter and I mark both with the k's and date fitted with a black marker as an easy way of keeping track of time and distance since fitted. I also do all my own servicing and only take the Paj into the dealer for warranty work and electronic re-learns and upgrades.
                  I agree the filter was never changed.
                  Garry

Comment

• shrek4
                    • Jun 2012
                    • South East of SA

Sorry if this is a stupid question,

How does servicing yourself effect the warranty? I thought you had to get your logbook stamped??

Comment

• draganlada
                      • Dec 2010
                      • sydney

When I went for warranty work (rear main seal and oil sump leak) nobody asked me for log book ...
                      My car never been serviced by dealer

Comment

• TheTaipan
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009
                        • sydney

Originally posted by draganlada View Post
                        When I went for warranty work (rear main seal and oil sump leak) nobody asked me for log book ...
                        My car never been serviced by dealer
                        X2, rear main plus sump leak. My also never been serviced by dealer.

Comment

• Dion
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2010
                          • Brisbane

If you do your own servicing (i.e. not a dealer or licenced mechanic) you will not get warranty support for items that could logically be proven to be related to not being serviced (since there is no 'proof' you serviced the vehicle).

Servicing at a dealer or authorised mechanic will retain your warranty.

My usual approach is to service at a dealer until out of warranty (just because it is easier/convenient) and then service myself since warranty is finished.
                          2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X