• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDNpajero
    • Dec 2019
    • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
    Just another idea then, seeing there isn't many flowing: do these have a fuel pump in tank to feed the injector pump? Just wondering if it's starving slightly for fuel at times and that shows up in fuel feed to number 4, but it's not enough to shoot engine down.

I'm guessing if that was the case it would cause more or further issues once it's being revved seeing fuel flow would be higher
    No , the injector pump is the only fuel pump in the system.
    If anything it acts more like a timing issue than starvation. If I crack that injector (essentially shutting it off) the knock goes away along with the engine shaking.
    When its revved up, it doesn't seem like it's missing. But there is a bit of white smoke that burns your eyes...like unburnt fuel. So that's like a timing issue.
    The intermittent aspect of it still leads me to believe its somehow electrical related.

Comment

• Lance
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Melbourne

Is there a filter on the tank pick up ?
      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• CDNpajero
        • Dec 2019
        • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Is there a filter on the tank pick up ?
        Just like a mesh screen. That was all checked before I replaced the pump. Clean as a whistle.

Comment

• Scooby
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Ipswich, Qld.

Just to clarify this is a mechanical fuel pump with electronic control?
          Once the timing is set, it is set for all cylinders unless the rebuilt was not correct.
          I am 99% sure the timing between each cylinder injecting is mechanically locked due to design and cannot move intermittently.
          If the timing advances or retards it should do it for all cylinders.
          To have one cylinder misfiring or timing incorrect doesn’t make sense as you already know.
          If you swap injectors and the problem is still no 4 cylinder it can only be the pump or something mechanical with that cylinder.
          Fuel delivery to all injectors should be the same once again the design of the pump.
          I don’t know if after the battery is disconnected if the computer gives it move fuel until it warms up/ relearns and this helps it run smooth and then leans the fuel off which is giving this mis fire on number 4 maybe due to lower compression.(Hope not).
          I think there is a no return valve on each injector outlet out of the pump maybe this is not sealing properly. Some pumps have them.
          Once again trying to run through things to help understand.
          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• CDNpajero
            • Dec 2019
            • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
            Just to clarify this is a mechanical fuel pump with electronic control?
            Once the timing is set, it is set for all cylinders unless the rebuilt was not correct.
            I am 99% sure the timing between each cylinder injecting is mechanically locked due to design and cannot move intermittently.
            If the timing advances or retards it should do it for all cylinders.
            To have one cylinder misfiring or timing incorrect doesn’t make sense as you already know.
            If you swap injectors and the problem is still no 4 cylinder it can only be the pump or something mechanical with that cylinder.
            Fuel delivery to all injectors should be the same once again the design of the pump.
            I don’t know if after the battery is disconnected if the computer gives it move fuel until it warms up/ relearns and this helps it run smooth and then leans the fuel off which is giving this mis fire on number 4 maybe due to lower compression.(Hope not).
            I think there is a no return valve on each injector outlet out of the pump maybe this is not sealing properly. Some pumps have them.
            Once again trying to run through things to help understand.

Thanks Scoob! All things I've kicked around in my head.

It's just the 2 most frightening things are becoming more of a possibility...the pump, or a dead cylinder.
            The things that dont add up for me...why it runs fine temporarily the battery is reconnected. Why it sorted itself out when I was messing with wires. I have a pump wiring harness on the way just in case. And why now...why would it drop a cylinder now, after changing the pump, and injectors, etc. The old pump was on it's way out...lack of power, barely revving to 3000rpm, idle hunting, smoke. But at least then it didnt hammer away and shutter so bad the whole truck shakes! "Fixing" one problem has stirred up others.
            What I believed would be a perfect vehicle for my life/needs etc. has turned into a terrible nightmare...but I've got so much time and money into it now I am determined to solve it.

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Have you talked to the place who supplied the pump?

Comment

• CDNpajero
                • Dec 2019
                • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                Have you talked to the place who supplied the pump?
                No, not yet. I'm trying to rule out all other possibilities first.

Comment

• Morville
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • Buxton Vic

After listening to the video my thought from left field to this mystery could be a sticking valve in number 4 that binds in its guide when warmed up and is being hit by the piston. That sticking would cause a misfire and unburnt fuel which you can smell. On the intermittent nature, perhaps the valve operates normally and is fine until it warms then binding again causing the misfire and with not firing allows the cylinder to cool allowing the valve to operate until it warms again and binds.
                  Peter

Comment

• Scooby
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Ipswich, Qld.

Does it have any blow-by.
                    If it is one cylinder you should see it pulsing out the pipe on the tapper cover.
                    Just had a look and listen to the video.
                    Definitely sounds like fuel knock.
                    What do you do to make it stop or does it do it itself?

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Comment

• CDNpajero
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Originally posted by Morville View Post
                      After listening to the video my thought from left field to this mystery could be a sticking valve in number 4 that binds in its guide when warmed up and is being hit by the piston. That sticking would cause a misfire and unburnt fuel which you can smell. On the intermittent nature, perhaps the valve operates normally and is fine until it warms then binding again causing the misfire and with not firing allows the cylinder to cool allowing the valve to operate until it warms again and binds.
                      Peter
                      That is a great hypothesis...and it does make total sense. I hope a piston isn't beating the crap out of a valve!
                      But I'm not sure if these are interference engines?? It sounds like fuel knock to me though. I would think if metal was hitting metal in there, it wouldnt happen for too long if you know what I mean.

Comment

• CDNpajero
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Wyoming Ontario Canada

Does it have any blow-by.
                        If it is one cylinder you should see it pulsing out the pipe on the tapper cover.
                        Just had a look and listen to the video.
                        Definitely sounds like fuel knock.
                        What do you do to make it stop or does it do it itself?
                        Blow by? Out of the breather tube on the rocker cover?? I'll have to check.
                        I dont really do anything to make it stop...except shut it off, disconnect the battery, wait a bit, then fire it back up. The odd time it's just evened it on it's own I guess temporarily, but then it comes back.
                        If it's a valve...why wouldn't randomly stick? Soot? Bent? Bad spring? All of the above???

Comment

• Scooby
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • Ipswich, Qld.

In the video it starts softly then gets louder than just stops and the engine runs smooth before running rough and knocks. Does it do this on its own or are you blipping the throttle?
                          When it is running rough and you crack the injector line does it run smoother and not knock.
                          A sticking valve will still be there with injector line disconnected.
                          It is an interference engine there has been pictures on here in the last couple of days of one with timing issues. Broken cam and cam locator bearings.

Comment

• CDNpajero
                            • Dec 2019
                            • Wyoming Ontario Canada

In the video it starts softly then gets louder than just stops and the engine runs smooth before running rough and knocks. Does it do this on its own or are you blipping the throttle?
                            When it is running rough and you crack the injector line does it run smoother and not knock.
                            A sticking valve will still be there with injector line disconnected.
                            It is an interference engine there has been pictures on here in the last couple of days of one with timing issues. Broken cam and cam locator bearings.
                            Not blipping the throttle at all.
                            When it's running rough...I crack #4 and it pretty much goes away, engine stop shaking. Tighten it back up....clack clack, shake shake.
                            That's what make me think fuel knock...or is that noise from low compression(stuck valve) and disappears when no fuel is there to ignite??
                            Oh right I saw the cam and heads pic...YIKES

Comment

• Scooby
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Ipswich, Qld.

It needs compression to ignite the fuel.
                              Stuck open valve no compression no ignition.
                              Is it smoking when it missing?
                              What does slight throttle do?
                              Say hold the revs constant just above idle for a minute or the same time it usually takes to play up.
                              See if you can replicate it at different revs over the same timeframe.

Comment

• Scooby
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2011
                                • Ipswich, Qld.

Is the injector bleed off hose/pipe blocked?
                                If it cannot bleed off internal leakage it could be injecting early causing the knock.
                                Just throwing anything now.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X