• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjwilmo
    • Jan 2012
    • Canberra

New owner - from Triton to Pajero

G'day all,

Just purchased a 2011 NT Pajero, LWB '30th Anniversary Edition', cool silver, auto.

My previous ride was an MN Triton GLX-R. I loved the Triton, but really love the Pajero! Essentially sold the Paj for a Triton as we have become a one car family and the Paj is a little more refined as an everyday vehicle for the fam, but will get us where we want to go offroad.

First impressions, noticeable differences: much nicer, smoother ride than Triton (Triton stock suspension is terrible). Better fuel economy (and larger tank). Quieter in the cab. More comfortable seats, spacious in rear (passenger seats). Some really nice dded extras for the anniversary edition also... though, I hate that the voice function doesnt work for the phone on the MMCS, and the maps on the MMCS and functionality are pretty ordinary.

My first steps for the Paj (in no particular order):

- change the bash plates (it was the first thing i did for the Triton, bets investment ever). Ive seen some good chatter about Bushskinz plates on here, so I'll check them out - any other recommendations?

- install Provent oil catch can. Removed this from the Triton before selling, will have a look to see where i can mount it in the Paj. ANyone here installed the provent?

-install battery isolator, then cable and anderson plug into the boot. I've got a Thumper battery and 40L fridge - the next challenge is to work out some tie down points (i had some awesome tracks installed in the Triton, but im not sure how to do it in the Paj given the 2 extra seats in the boot)

- install tow bar. Any recommendations other than the MMA one? Ive noticed the MMA one sits a little low, though there may not be any option. On the Triton the MMA one was terrible, so I went ARB rear bar and tow bar which was awesome.

- tint front passenger windows.

I'll be sure to do some research across these threads for the info im after, but anyone has any recommendations on any of these I'll be grateful.

In time, I'll then change the tryes (had BFG A/T on Triton), consider suspension - though the suspension on this is WAY better than on the Triton - and think about a bull bar.... nice to have dreams.

Pictures of any mods to follow in time, when money and time is available.

Looking forward to learning more about the good, and not so good, things about my new ride.

Love that car.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Canberra
  • onallfour
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2010
    • Camden, Sydney

welcome. there is heaps of info on this forum. I built up my car with loads of help and recommendations from this site. There have been plenty of people who have done all their own work on the mods you are thinking about so that may help you too
    enjoy your ride
    Last edited by onallfour; 23-01-12, 07:14 PM.
    Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

Welcome

The paj is an excellent 4wd but I don't need to tell you that.

This forums is the friendliest I have been to, lots of help and good people on board.

Bushskinz plates are by far the most popular here, and with good reason too. I had the plates sitting in my lounge room even before I picked up the paj.

Enjoy the car and enjoy the forum.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

HI Matt and welcome!

I don't blame you for changing to the Paj!

Kieron's Bushskinz are fantastic - another who can vouch for their quality and his great service. Pretty essenital if you venture offroad.

Dual battery system was a must for us - we run a fridge, electric boat trailer winch, etc. Another essential really.

Re the tow bar.
        The Hayman Reese is the only other one I'd get. They do sit the same height as the MM one though. "A bit low" - yes, spot on! If you search you'll read heaps of posts about the bottom of the rear spare wheel hitting everyone's coupling on their trailers. It's the only design fault on these Paj's - that everyone dislikes! We overcame this by fitting an AL-KO offroad hitch. The Outback Jayco chassis usually are okay too. Ous weas until we raised the van height further! (The coupling sits at the bottom, not the top).

We've had our Paj 2 years now and done heaps of extras in that time (Airtech snorkel going in today), but I think the extra battery, tow bar, roof racks,seat covers and bash plates should probably be the first accessories you get.

A Chip is pretty awesome too!....it never ends.....have fun!

Cheers,
        Sally
        SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Jondalar
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Brisbane

Hi,

Congrats on the new car. Interestingly I had a new Triton as loaner last week when my Paj was getting it's 30k service and I agree the Paj suspension is far superior. The brakes too are far better. Anyway I have the Hayman Reese towbar, was fitted before delivery. Some dealers won't use anything but the MM bar but the HR bar is from a very trusted company. This also means you can use the HR WDH without any modification.

Have fun!

Karl
          Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

• The Commodore
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2009
            • Macarthur Region NSW.

You can use the H/R WDH without modification on the genuine Mitsubishi bar also.
            Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• Jondalar
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • Brisbane

I thought you had to grind the top corners off the shank for the Mitsubishi hitch receiver?

Cheers,
              Karl

Comment

• mjwilmo
                • Jan 2012
                • Canberra

Thanks for the replies. Paj is in for some front window tinting this Friday - the first mod! I'll look to install the catch can on the weekend, and may even get around to the battery isolator then also.

Re the towbar - ive seen a few pictures and it looks like the HR tow bar sits a little lower than the MM one. ie the MM hitch sit througha cutout in the rear, whereas the HR looks like it sits under. Is this correct? If so, I would be inclined to go the MM one as it sits slightly higher..

Comment

• Jondalar
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Brisbane

Hi,
                  I have the HR, hope this pic link works not sure how you could have it sit any higher..

Comment

• The Commodore
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • Macarthur Region NSW.

I stand corrected Jondalar.
                    I thought you meant something more substantial than that as it only takes a couple of minutes.
                    Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• mjwilmo
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Canberra

Got the front two windows tinted today (from here) looks great. Also picked up some Thule Wingbar roofracks (while waiting for the window tinting) and some rubber non-slip ute-matting for the boot.. an expensive morning.

Roof racks were simple to install and look good.. luckily it still fits in the garage!

Next up is the tow bar and then an extended hitch to take my bike rack. Leaning towards the MMA bar, but havent got quote yet - from looking through the site the price quoted seems to vary widely..

Comment

• gary
                        • Oct 2011
                        • WA

Have come a long Way

Hi Matt Also own a new NT having traded a 2005 GLX t/d, boy have they come a long way much more refined super quiet compared to the last one (kids use to call it pops tractor) softer suspension, although i feel maybe a little to soft and great value for money. Was hoping to put an ARB deluxe bar on the front with a winch but unfortunately i have the limited edition RX with the funny extended grill bumper thingy and i cant get a dealer to fit one because of this. I love my new Paj they are great towing platforms (watch the towball weight though) and extremely reliable. I hope you enjoy your new toy and have many years of trouble free motoring. Gary

Comment

• mjwilmo
                          • Jan 2012
                          • Canberra

Tow bar installed

Finally got a tow bar installed. After much back and forth with the Mitsi dealers here- who seem to go out of their way to dissuade you from buying mitsi accessories with poor customer service and outrageous prices - I ended up getting a Hayman Reese hitch installed from a local 4WD store.

Mitsi came back with a quote for over $3000 to get the bar installed! And, according to one dealer, only one of the dealers here installs accessories. But $3000, that is outrageous. Sure discourages one from getting genuine accessories installed.. Can anyone explain why it is so expensive? Is this what others paid for the genuine mitsi bar?

Ended up getting a Hayman Reese bar installed for less than half that from a local 4WD shop. Love it.

Also bought a Thule 934XTR Hitching PostPro to carry the mountain bike on the back. A great bar, clears the spare wheel nicely anf fold down so you can open the rear door. Highly recommended.

I think the bushskinz bash plates will be up next.

Comment

• onallfour
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2010
                            • Camden, Sydney

Unreal price, considereing you live in Canberra too. I have had issues with dealers in Belconnen which is a mixed dealer dealing in other badged cars too, my work car being a Nissan and was very upset when they have me the car back after a service and actually come out with more noise under the bonnet and not fixed any other issues like wiper blades, globes, squeky brakes etc. Anyhow you may be better off with the new aftermarket purchase anyway
                            Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• Pickle
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 2007
                              • All over Oz

Originally posted by mjwilmo View Post
                              Mitsi came back with a quote for over $3000 to get the bar installed! And, according to one dealer, only one of the dealers here installs accessories. But $3000, that is outrageous. Sure discourages one from getting genuine accessories installed.. Can anyone explain why it is so expensive? Is this what others paid for the genuine mitsi bar?
                              That dealer really represents the company well .
                              Free towbar on current sales of Platinums and he want's 3K to fit one
                              Dave
                              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X