Below Nav Bar

Collapse

3.2 DiD Upper Chain Guide Replacement How to..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Great work..

Gus.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• JamesSweeting
      • Nov 2008
      • Soutwest France

I just did this and boy was I glad I did - the old guide was about to be cut in two by the chain.
      It was bent up and no longer sitting on the chain!
      Maybe as a result of this the new guide seemed to need to squash the chain down as I tightened the nuts. - Is that normal?

I think you should add that you need to be EXTRA CAREFUL not to drop bolts or sockets down the inlet side of the motor as the lower bolt on the EGR valve is hard to get back in and the EGR valve makes one of the rocker cover bolts hard to get at unless you have a very skinny socket set.
      You could put a piece of material over the inlet manifold perhaps?
      So I have the lower bolt for the EGR valve disappeared down the side of the engine as I must be a bit clumsy -- grrrr!

Comment

• Axis
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2011
        • Highett Vic

Originally posted by JamesSweeting View Post
        I think you should add that you need to be EXTRA CAREFUL not to drop bolts or sockets down the inlet side of the motor as the lower bolt on the EGR valve is hard to get back in and the EGR valve makes one of the rocker cover bolts hard to get at unless you have a very skinny socket set.
        You could put a piece of material over the inlet manifold perhaps?
        So I have the lower bolt for the EGR valve disappeared down the side of the engine as I must be a bit clumsy -- grrrr!
        When I removed the EGR pipe to inspect my EGR valve and do the EGR block I removed the EGR Valve with the pipe (left it attached) as I thought I'd have issues with the lower bolt - PITA to get to.
        07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Woosydiver
          • Jul 2013
          • Bunbury, WA

Thanks for Ohlins for taking the time to take the photos & write it up, it makes it so much easier if you've not done it before [like me]

I've just changed mine at 95,000km. The old one was in perfect condition. But it's done now, so peace of mind for a few more km.

Funny how my local dealers both said there is no problem with the guide yet when I went to order one the part guy knew exactly what I wanted with the shortest description ever :-)

I'm not sure I understand the comment from sharkcaver about keeping the timing chain under tension due to the tensioner taking up slack, the chain is held in place by the sprocket teeth. For the tensioner to move, the chain/sprockets would have to be completely knackered. Unless further explanation can be given??

On step 3 it shows an offset ring spanner on the rear bolt of the EGR pipe clamp, there is no need to undo this as the clamp is only help to the rocker cover by the front bolt.

Comment

• JamesSweeting
            • Nov 2008
            • Soutwest France

Originally posted by Woosydiver View Post

Funny how my local dealers both said there is no problem with the guide yet when I went to order one the part guy knew exactly what I wanted with the shortest description ever :-)
            I know what you mean - I ordered mine on the phone to the parts guy in my local French mitsi dealership and it required VERY little effort or explanation which is VERY unusual when ordering in Franglais!

Comment

• dpt
              • Jul 2012
              • NSW

Hi I purchased a new chain Guide yesterday and I was looking at the motor today, my question is as mine is a 2007 Ns Pajero Diesel common Rail with the injectors and Glow plugs through the Rocker cover how easy would it be to change the Guide?

Dave

Comment

• 2010banditsa
                • Jan 2012
                • adelaide

fantastic write up ohlins, well done . Silly question perhaps, but ive got the 2010 NT with 150k on the clock, same engine yeah? all relevant?

Comment

• Axis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Highett Vic

Originally posted by dpt View Post
                  Hi I purchased a new chain Guide yesterday and I was looking at the motor today, my question is as mine is a 2007 Ns Pajero Diesel common Rail with the injectors and Glow plugs through the Rocker cover how easy would it be to change the Guide?

Dave
                  NS onwards is different as the fuel lines into the rocker cover need to be removed. Apparently these are only serviceable for a certain number of removals.

See this thread for Goodsy's guide to doing it http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=33278

There is also a link to a document here that is for inlet manifold removal but does show the Fuel line removal. http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...+goodsy&page=5

Found myself wishing I had an NP when I did it!! As everyone says, may as well change the top chain guide when you do it.

James
                  07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• aquanaught
                    • Feb 2009
                    • Mt Eliza, Victoria

A belated thanks, Ohlins, for your good post.

It inspired me to replace mine and probably about time as a piece had broken off. The engine sounds a bit quiter now too.

The Paj has done 180k so should be good for quite a few more now. I assume that no one has had issues with the redesigned replacement guide.....?
                    Attached Files
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    MY06 NP GLX DID Auto, ARB winch bar, Bushskinz front + self designed transmission protection, Tigerz 12,000lbs Winch w/ rope, Snorkel, 2" lift with Lovells springs & Bilstien shocks, 265/70R16 D697 AT's, Self made auto lock-up kit, Leaking Aux bat w/ Redarc isolator, 10" Tab Navigator, UHF, Roo Lite spotties, Cargo barrier, Rhino HD Roof bars & roof basket on track mount, Waeco, self made camping box, TVan and lots of fun...

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Sydney

Did you find the missing bit?
                      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by aquanaught View Post
                        I assume that no one has had issues with the redesigned replacement guide.....?
                        Well owing to some reports filtering through of NS models suffering chain failure, I would say no to that.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Leroy73
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Perth

With the guide having to have the correct tension when installed am I wrong in suggesting that maybe MMA has changed the type of neoprene that the guide runs with?

Comment

• magsil
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Norway

One of the lucky ones.

Finay got around to doing this today, here is what i saw when i got the rocker cover of... Never found the missing piece. Hope its down i the sump, and out of the way...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by magsil; 10-01-15, 01:28 AM. Reason: Just details..

Comment

• Allan2
                              • May 2013
                              • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

I hope you people are re setting the mechanical/hydraulic timing chain tensioner after replacing the top guide. The tensioner is located on the right hand side of the block towards the front is held in place by two bolts.
                              Remove it and push it inward untill you can lock it there with the little lock lever replace it and turn the engine over by hand in the same direction as when it is running, you will hear it click into place. This procedure takes any excess pressure off the chain it the tensionet has applied to it when the top guide wasn't there. Also should be done if the engine is accidently turned backwards.
                              Regards Allan.
                              2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• justin arb
                                • Mar 2014
                                • adelaide

Does the 2014 NW engine have the chain guide known for failure the same ?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X