• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

Lock up mate

I would like to hear from anyone, who has brought and fitted the “ lock up mate” device for the NT-NX paj
    In particular aspects of towing and does the LUC stay engaged the Utube clip isnt clear, all it shows is old mate flogging his pajero up and down a hill and showing that it go back a gear rather than disengagement, with no load on the back,

My biggest question does the LUC stay engaged down to what RPM?
    IE towing a van at 95K on flat ground at around 1800 RPM would it stayed locked
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
    I would like to hear from anyone, who has brought and fitted the “ lock up mate” device for the NT-NX paj
    In particular aspects of towing and does the LUC stay engaged the Utube clip isnt clear, all it shows is old mate flogging his pajero up and down a hill and showing that it go back a gear rather than disengagement, with no load on the back,

My biggest question does the LUC stay engaged down to what RPM?
    IE towing a van at 95K on flat ground at around 1800 RPM would it stayed locked
    Hi Muzza, keep in mind the video is for auto-mate, not lockup-mate.
    I've just answered a similar question via email..which I assume was you, but will copy the response in case it wasnt.

Lockup-mate is very flexible and can operate how you wish. Yes, it can lock up as low as 80kph in 5th.

lockup-mate has a feature called Pedal mode.
    Comes with Pedal mode ON by default, but by holding the LED/switch down for 10 seconds will toggle it on and off.

When ON, it will unlock the TCC when the combination of speed, RPM and pedal position means you’ll either cause shudder, or there would be no acceleration.

When OFF, it will just unlock the TCC based on speed and RPM. ie it ignores the pedal.

The default (ON) is good for the partner who isn't skilled in SPORT shifting and just wants to punch the pedal to ‘go'. It unlocks the TCC so you’ll get some power.
    In a similar situation with pedal mode OFF, it just, well, does nothing, and you need to downshift a gear to get power again.

In the Gen4, It starts to shudder at around 1500rpm, and there is no shudder above 2000 rpm. The challenger doesn't shudder at all.

The ‘must’ unlock RPM is 1200rpm. Anything below this and it will not lockup.

So, at 80 or 90 kph it can stay locked in 5th.

cheers Marshall
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• tnor
      • Feb 2016
      • Dubbo, NSW

The unit will stay locked down to 3rd gear (e. Not 1st or 2nd). I generally tow using the manual side of the Superselect transmission and the NW Pajero can tow a,000kg load up quiet reasonable hills in 3rd. I believe that the new, recently released version is even more flexible. If you tow regularly, a torque converter lock-up device is a good investment.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
      Pajero NW MY13 GLX (x-NSW Police)
      OL Steel Bull Bar; HR tow bar; Cargo Barrier; Bushskinz intercooler & sump plates and side steps; 50mm lift kit and polyair bags; GME UHF radio; dual battery & rear power; roof bars; Kenwood head unit; Tow
      Pro brake controller; LED light bar and day-time running lights

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
        Lockup-mate is very flexible and can operate how you wish. Yes, it can lock up as low as 80kph in 5th.
        I think there's a big beneft around town, not just towing. Mine will lock 5th once I get over 70kph, as long as there's not a big load on the engine like on a hill. But once locked, it stays there a lot longer than if I didn't have it activated.

I've tried towing both a camper trailer (1500kg) and a caravan (2200kg) and it's a benefit in both instances. I wish I had it for my trip to WA this year. I could have sat in 5th (camper trailer on the back) on all those long straight roads without having to use 4th to keep the TC locked. I reckon it would have saved be a lot of the $3,000 I spent on fuel.
        Last edited by Ian H; 08-12-18, 04:49 PM.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Muzza
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Nsw

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
          Hi Muzza, keep in mind the video is for auto-mate, not lockup-mate.
          I've just answered a similar question via email..which I assume was you, but will copy the response in case it wasnt.

lockup-mate has a feature called Pedal mode.
          Comes with Pedal mode ON by default, but by holding the LED/switch down for 10 seconds will toggle it on and off.

When ON, it will unlock the TCC when the combination of speed, RPM and pedal position means you’ll either cause shudder, or there would be no acceleration.

When OFF, it will just unlock the TCC based on speed and RPM. ie it ignores the pedal.

The default (ON) is good for the partner who isn't skilled in SPORT shifting and just wants to punch the pedal to ‘go'. It unlocks the TCC so you’ll get some power.
          In a similar situation with pedal mode OFF, it just, well, does nothing, and you need to downshift a gear to get power again.

In the Gen4, It starts to shudder at around 1500rpm, and there is no shudder above 2000 rpm. The challenger doesn't shudder at all.

The ‘must’ unlock RPM is 1200rpm. Anything below this and it will not lockup.

So, at 80 or 90 kph it can stay locked in 5th.

cheers Marshall
          Thanks answered my question, whilst i dont want to run down 1200 rpm etc 1800 on a flat will be good, and yes it was my email.
          Thanks
          Muzza
          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Boo Boo
            • Aug 2012
            • Kilsyth

Can I get Lock up mate for my NS Pajero yet.
            2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Boo Boo View Post
              Can I get Lock up mate for my NS Pajero yet.
              Apparently yes;

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                I think there's a big beneft around town, not just towing. Mine will lock 5th once I get over 70kph, as long as there's not a big load on the engine like on a hill. But once locked, it stays there a lot longer than if I didn't have it activated.

I've tried towing both a camper trailer (1500kg) and a caravan (2200kg) and it's a benefit in both instances. I wish I had it for my trip to WA this year. I could have sat in 5th (camper trailer on the back) on all those long straight roads without having to use 4th to keep the TC locked. I reckon it would have saved be a lot of the $3,000 I spent on fuel.
                I am getting one to fit to my NW. We currently live at the foothills of the Blue Mountains in western Sydney. On a drive through the mountains the gearbox regularly changes up to 5th and stays there, unlocked. The auto temps climb quite quickly so I use manual mode to stay out of 5th and keep the temps as low as I can. This is without my 1600kg camper on the back. On reasonably flat terrain the TC locks up and the temps stay down . The TC lockup kit is good insurance I think.

James
                2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Melbourne

Hey Marshall, Looking at probably getting lockup mate next year. My only concern about it is, if it's as good as you say it is (and not saying it isn't mind you, looks absolutely amazing I was so excited for it when I watched the video) - why hasn't mitsubishi (or any manufacturer) made it this way from the factory. There must be some negative to the setup surely?

Does it unlock when it shifts gears?

Happy for you to PM me if you'd rather.
                  MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                  Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                    Hey Marshall, Looking at probably getting lockup mate next year. My only concern about it is, if it's as good as you say it is (and not saying it isn't mind you, looks absolutely amazing I was so excited for it when I watched the video) - why hasn't mitsubishi (or any manufacturer) made it this way from the factory. There must be some negative to the setup surely?

Marshall will probably give you better reasons and answers. However A lot of cars only lock up in top gear. I believe the new 8 speed Amarok will do it in all gears. AS regards the factory...have a look at all the accessories you have put on your car..why didnt MM include them? MM could certainly make a lock up kit but have reasoned that as we are only little fish in a big pond when it comes to sales...there is no need. My lockup kit greatly reduces temps which means longer lasting oil, longer lasting auto-box, cooler engine, less stressful driving.One of the best mods I have done and look forward to the upgrade early in the new year...Everyone on here only has positive reviews. Many 200 series owners have them fitted as they are really great for towing. cheers
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

I agree Dicko, why don't they make them with a bull bar or roof tray ? It's exactly the same argument.

The average Joe wouldn't appreciate how important it is to lock up the TC anyway. It does change how the car feels, being more like a manual and instantly responsive to the pedal, which may not suit those driving around town all the time.

There is no downside that I can see.
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post

Mitsubishi have already done what Auto Mate does with the 8 speed auto in the Pajero Sport.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nuttyalmond
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Perth wa

Hi All
                          Also looking at getting one in the new year. Reading the FAQ on the website its says that "sometimes" there is an error code produced.
                          Has anyone with a lockup mate had this happen and if so what happens next?
                          Mark
                          Pajero 2012 NW gls. ECB Bullbar, Tow pro, Steinbauer module, Polyair air bags, Uniden 2 way, spv module, Provent catch can, Yokohama Geolanda G015 AT, Narva 175 lamps, Caravan rear view monitor, Ultragauge MX, Lockup mate, flashlube prefilter.

Comment

• Ian H
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2015
                            • Melbourne

No error code for me and it's done quite a few klms around town, in the hills and towing.

If there's a code, clear it with an Ultra Gauge or use Torque on your tablet or phone but it would be rare, judging from all the reports and testing which has now been done by MM, OJ and all the users of the product.

Comment

• ticky
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2015
                              • Adelaide

I dont get error codes.

Mine is on all the time. It stays locked at 60kmh on flat ground and slight climbs, but if it unlocks, I simply shift back to 4th.
                              Trans stays cool on the hottest of days and I think it is a great add on to my Pajero. Easy to fit, and I know bugger all about electronics and it works exceptionally well

Steve
                              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X