• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2007_pajero
    • Oct 2012
    • Adelaide

Slow speedo

I just went from 265 60r18 Dunlop AT20 to 265 60r18 Bridgestone duller AT and now my speedo is showing around 5-7km slow from my gps. Like speedo showing 100 but car actually running at 92. Any idea how to fix it ??
    2007 NS--- Sold
    2014 NW--Current
  • greybeard
    • Jan 2008
    • WA

Add ~8kmh to the speed you want to drive at if @100kmh and adjust appropriately at different speeds. ie if you want to drive at 100kmh then adjust your loud pedal until the speedo shows 108kmh.
    Maybe even round down a bit and know that if your speedo shows 105kmh then you're under the 100kmh limit

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

This variation is normal and within Australian Design Rules specification (https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dri...peedo-accuracy)
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• boritz
        • Jun 2013
        • Gippsland VIC

My NW speedo was 'slow' with OEM tyres right from 'the off' i.e actual 100 kph, speedo 95 kph.

The Paj speedo has a 'fat' analogue pointer that is useless by today's law-enforcement tolerances so I use an Ultragauge callibrated to display the actual kph as a large digital readout.

It can be callibrated (and re-callibrated) to suit whatever tyres are on the vehicle.
        Cheers,
        Dave.
        NW GLX-R MY13 3.2 DiD auto.
        2016 Concept Innovation 600R caravan

Comment

• dhula
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • South of Perth

Recheck you tyre sizes as that kind of a speedo difference looks to be very close to a tyre profile change.
          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Morville
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2008
            • Buxton Vic

All Pajero's read 5-7 Km/h low at 100km/h from the factory with standard size tyres. This is to allow the fitment of the maximum permissible size tyre and still comply with the ADR, ie not to be travelling faster than the speedo indicates.
            Peter

Comment

• Hatto
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by dhula View Post
              Recheck you tyre sizes as that kind of a speedo difference looks to be very close to a tyre profile change.
              My thoughts exactly
              Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
              ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

How much difference was there before the tyre change ? The profile is the same according to your post so there shouldn't be any change in the difference between car and GPS speeds. My NX is around 7kph higher than GPS, which is normal as the others have pointed out. I even set my GPS speedo to read fractionally over too, just in case.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dhula
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • South of Perth

Originally posted by Morville View Post
                  All Pajero's read 5-7 Km/h low at 100km/h from the factory with standard size tyres. This is to allow the fitment of the maximum permissible size tyre and still comply with the ADR, ie not to be travelling faster than the speedo indicates.
                  Peter
                  Disagree with that statement. The slower than actual reading by the speedo has nothing to do with the ability to fit higher profile tyres.
                  2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.

Comment

• vladguan
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Adelaide

It could also be due to GPS errors. Try finding a straight flat road and do several runs at a fixed speed and compare. That much difference between two same sized tyres is not possible. It is like going from 265/60R18 to 265/50R18.
                    Please call me Vlad.
                    -----------------------
                    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

I doubt that there is much you can do to correct the speedo error. On my NW, the error is about 6% ie at 100 km/h true speed, the speedo indicates 106 km/h. However, the odometer reads 0.1 km high over a measured 5 km distance, so it is fairly accurate.
                      '
                      The error is deliberately built into the instrument, I guess to prevent people from suing Mitsubishi for getting pinged by the police. As for tyre sizes affecting the readings, yes you will get closer to correct reading by going to a larger size tyre, but then the odometer will be under reading the distance. After all, the speedo is only a counter which counts the revs of the wheels as you drive along the road and integrates the count against time.

Comment

• dhula
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • South of Perth

My take on the ADR is that a speedo can not show less than the actual speed but can be anything up to roughly 16% incorrect.

There are devices you can fit that will fix the error in the speedo but as erad kind of alluded to, when you fit them and fix the speedo, the odo will then be out.

Some cars can have different tyre sizes plugged in to the ECU via laptop so the speedo is up with the change, not sure if the Pajero can do that though.

Comment

• vladguan
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                          My take on the ADR is that a speedo can not show less than the actual speed but can be anything up to roughly 16% incorrect.

There are devices you can fit that will fix the error in the speedo but as erad kind of alluded to, when you fit them and fix the speedo, the odo will then be out.

Some cars can have different tyre sizes plugged in to the ECU via laptop so the speedo is up with the change, not sure if the Pajero can do that though.
                          Up to 10% more plus 4kph. So for a real speed of 100kph, speedo can be as much as 114kph.

There is also speedo error.

While I was doing 100 according to the speedo, torque read 98.

I added a custom PID based on the speed PID but with a factor. While my custom speed PID read 100, default speed PID read 104 and speedo read 106.
                          Please call me Vlad.
                          -----------------------
                          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

This error annoys me. They have today the technology to give you 100% accurate instruments, but deliberately induce an error. The logic defies me...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X