• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danielb 76
    • Jun 2017
    • Melbourne

Bash plate

So wanting thoughts from others I have a fairly standard challenger setup no lift etc but now wanting to upgrade body protection . Looking at boos plates 3pr 4 mm . What do most people go 3 or 4 mm mild steel or 4 mm stainless steel . Just wanting some options thanks
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

3mm steel ones will bend with a decent hit. I've bent my intercooler guard off road before but have now welded in some gussets for strength. Wish I had 4mm ones now but boos only had the 3mm when I bought mine. If it's just for animal strikes and general road use with a bit of soft roading then 3mm would probably be ok. But really, the 4mm is not that much more expensive anyway. Also consider the extra 25% heavier the 4mm ones will be if vehicle weight is ever close to GVM when loaded for trips and or towing ect.
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Michaelj15
      • Feb 2016
      • Sydney

Hey Daniel,

i have boos bash plate 3mm on my challenger. Overall i think they are good, way more solid than the stock splash guard.
      I did however bend mine off road pretty bad, i believe the 4mm would have been bent too... I ended up reinforcing mine and reinforcing the brackets that attach to the chassis.

heres a link to a few of the pics

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

I have bent all 3 of my 4mm Bushskinz and they are very difficult to straighten without a press. They have saved my gearbox, transfer case, engine sump and intercooler/radiators on many occasions, I would not go off road without decent underbody protection.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Apollo
          • Dec 2016
          • Cooloola Coast QLD

I have the 4mm boos plates on mine. They have taken a few decent knocks and are holding up ok. I have heavy duty brackets welded onto my chassis replacing the WAP factory ones.

Comment

• whereswes
            • Feb 2015
            • Melbourne, Australia

Value for money, Boos are hard to beat. 4mm would be better but 3mm still way ahead of the factory tin foil. I didn't know they did 4mm.

Note, there's little chance of the OEM brackets surviving a decent hit even on 3mm plates. As per earlier posts, at a minimum, zip weld the OEM brackets all round. Preferred, dock off OEM brackets and weld in heavier.

If your getting the tranny plate, you do need to over size the front holes and fit up some nutserts. I traveled from the other side of Melbourne to collect and Michael was happy to fit them up for me.

Cheers
            Wes
            2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• Danielb 76
              • Jun 2017
              • Melbourne

Bash plates

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen . So I haven’t decided yet which ones but I am going to get them to fit them . I am thinking either the 4mm mild steel or stainless steel . Cost difference only $5 . Can anyone tell me would there be much a a weight difference or a huge difference in rigidity . Not in the near future am I going super hard off raiding but I’m keeping this car for awhile . So I’m thinking just buy right stuff now with long term view rather than take shortcuts .

Comment

• whereswes
                • Feb 2015
                • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Danielb 76 View Post
                Can anyone tell me would there be much a a weight difference
                Not much. From memory in 3mm it's about 1/2kg per M2.

Pretty sure if you check some ferrous and non ferrous plate suppliers they'll have weight specs listed on their sites.

Cheers
                Wes
                Last edited by whereswes; 12-12-17, 09:46 PM.
                2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

The weight of different steel grades varies only about 5%, a full set of 4mm Bushskinz plates for an auto Challenger weighs about 36kg. All steels have different strengths which is dependent on the alloying elements used and both the tensile strength and yield strength varies greatly. Yield strength is the force at the material can be permanently deformed, 440C stainless and 4130 chromemoly are by far the strongest but the most expensive, not all stainless steels have high yield strength so you need to be careful what grade stainless is used. 304 stainless for example has a much lower yield strength than mild steel. What also gives a bash plate it’s strength is the design, a pressed 2mm plate can be stronger than a flat 3mm plate made from the same material.

In a perfect world if bash plates were made out of high tensile 2205 duplex stainless 2.5mm sheet this would be ideal but the cost would be at least double if not triple of what is currently available.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Example of steel,yield strengths;
                    2205 stainless steel 450 MPA.
                    316 stainless steel 290 MPA.
                    Mild steel 247MPA.
                    304 stainless steel 215MPA.

OJ.
                    Last edited by old Jack; 12-12-17, 11:51 PM. Reason: 316 info added.

Comment

• whereswes
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      The weight of different steel grades varies only about 5%, a full set of 4mm Bushskinz plates for an auto Challenger weighs about 36kg. All steels have different strengths which is dependent on the alloying elements used and both the tensile strength and yield strength varies greatly. Yield strength is the force at the material can be permanently deformed, 440C stainless and 4130 chromemoly are by far the strongest but the most expensive, not all stainless steels have high yield strength so you need to be careful what grade stainless is used. 304 stainless for example has a much lower yield strength than mild steel. What also gives a bash plate it’s strength is the design, a pressed 2mm plate can be stronger than a flat 3mm plate made from the same material.

In a perfect world if bash plates were made out of high tensile 2205 duplex stainless 2.5mm sheet this would be ideal but the cost would be at least double if not triple of what is currently available.

OJ.
                      Spot on OJ.

My question is, coming from a non engineering background, the dangers of high tensile strength components. If the impact energy must be absorbed somewhere, if not in the bash plates, then where? Mountings? Elsewhere?

If I take an unrepairable hit in a bash plate, $100 replacement through Boos, I can live with that.

Even if just a 3mm bash plate fail resulted in significant sump or transmission damage then I recon I've been 1) pretty unlucky or 2) pretty dumb.

Cheers
                      Wes

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by whereswes View Post
                        Spot on OJ.

My question is, coming from a non engineering background, the dangers of high tensile strength components. If the impact energy must be absorbed somewhere, if not in the bash plates, then where? Mountings? Elsewhere?

If I take an unrepairable hit in a bash plate, $100 replacement through Boos, I can live with that.

Even if just a 3mm bash plate fail resulted in significant sump or transmission damage then I recon I've been 1) pretty unlucky or 2) pretty dumb.

Cheers
                        Wes
                        Correct Wes, this is why I would choose 2205 stainless as it is more "flexible" and has very good impact absorbing qualities without permanent deformation. If the bash plate is too rigid then as the chassis flexes the rigid plate loads up the mounts which then crack. If the plate is too rigid then any impact forces are transmitted as shock loads to the mounting points.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X