Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 17-10-17

Default New to this

Hi all,

After a bit of advice. I recently purchased a 2012 PB LS Challenger. Great so far and has tackled everything. Im not sure if it's been lifted or not but it seems a touch higher than others on the road.

i've just had a set of MCC steps and side/scrub bars installed but i'm now looking at a proper lift kit and bigger/wider tyres. Currently running the stock 17in alloys with 265/65/17 cooper ST's.

What's the biggest wheel/tyre combo i'm likely to fit on a challenger that has no lift?
Old 17-10-17
Valued Member

Welcome Monkeyboy,

A suspension lift does not give you anymore clearance as the suspension travel is not changed just the ride height. The ST Pro is a big tyre for its theoretical size so you may be a to go up a profile to a LT265/70-17 but your front clearance will be reduced so some snow chains will not fit the front without hitting the front mudflap at 3/4 lock.
Changing offset also increases the lose of clearance at 3/4 lock.

There are some people that are running 33" 285 wide but they have removed the front mudflap and trimmed the inner guard lining at the front.
Lifting the front suspension by more than 30mm is illegal as you do not retain 2/3 of factory wheel travel in droop. Also if you lift too high it loads up the CV joints and it is common for these to snap when running big tyres and big lifts then going too hard offroad.

If you have an auto trans then the auto will not like the bigger tyres, expect fuel consumption to increase and also ATF temps.
If you have a manual trans then the bigger tyres will up your gearing so expect increased fuel consumption and also needing to slip the clutch much more when towing, hill starts and offroad.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 17-10-17
Valued Member

Post a pic of the front and rear suspenders and someone here will quickly say if its the original kit.

Do you want a bigger tyre for a reason? If its just for appearance some tyres in original size look bigger due to the type or construction like mud tyres for example.

My Toyo AT's look bigger than stock but are the same specced size as stock.

Nce to have you with us.
PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED light bar. MM 4X4 lock up switch. Airtec snorkel, Toyo Open Country AT2, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.
Old 17-10-17
Valued Member

If you cannot post pics then tell us your EBH for each corner.
Old 18-10-17

So i had a look at the suspension and it says Ironman Nitro?

I was hoping to put a set of 33 maxxis tyres on but have no idea the dimensions that i need. Very noob to it all. reason for bigger tyres is more contact area to the road/mud.

The car is a Manual and i also noticed when looking around under it, there's a lot of underbody protection.
Old 19-10-17
Valued Member

Hi

I a running 235/85R16 tyres which are taller than the standard ones by around 16mm. Mine is a manual rather loaded with accessories so it really feels the taller gearing. I have a Marks low range 2.85 transfer gear (as opposed to 1.9 factory) so that deals with the higher gearing in low range, but in high range the vehicle feels rather over geared. It would be fair to say that MMAL geared the vehicle as high as they could to get good fuel consumption, so even the modest increase in tyre diameter has rather an impact.

For me fifth will no longer hold going up hills on the highway, thus forcing down changes, which with the manual the fifth to fourth is a bugger to get right as the lever appears to get lost in no-mans land. No issue changing up or down in other gears. On country roads it is easier to leave the vehicle in fourth as you now fall of the turbo quickly once speed drops below 90kmph.

The 235/85R16 allows the use of snow chains, but your rim is rather exposed due to the narrower tyre and rather wide 7" rim.

In all, maybe sneak up one size, but expect that the gearing to be rather compromised if you load on bash plates, bullbars, etc. If you normally run light then ok no great issues. I would hate to think of my vehicle with taller tyres again.

If you are towing then I strongly suggest sticking to factory size tyres.

The issue is on some deeply rutted tracks the monster 36" brigade have made life difficult. But the Challenger is not really suited to excessively tall tyres. Being independent front suspension you get good clearance, as no diff to foul. On the rear only taller tyres will lift the diff.

I went with a size up in tyres and moderate lift so have in effect similar or slightly better ground clearance than an off the showroom floor Landrover Defender. DooSo will never be able to legally and practically run monster tyres and huge suspension lift. But the Challenger is still very capable off-road assuming you do not get trapped into deep ruts made by the monster trucks.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 19-10-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Welcome Monkeyboy,

A suspension lift does not give you anymore clearance as the suspension travel is not changed just the ride height. The ST Pro is a big tyre for its theoretical size so you may be a to go up a profile to a LT265/70-17 but your front clearance will be reduced so some snow chains will not fit the front without hitting the front mudflap at 3/4 lock.
Changing offset also increases the lose of clearance at 3/4 lock.

There are some people that are running 33" 285 wide but they have removed the front mudflap and trimmed the inner guard lining at the front.
Lifting the front suspension by more than 30mm is illegal as you do not retain 2/3 of factory wheel travel in droop. Also if you lift too high it loads up the CV joints and it is common for these to snap when running big tyres and big lifts then going too hard offroad.

If you have an auto trans then the auto will not like the bigger tyres, expect fuel consumption to increase and also ATF temps.
If you have a manual trans then the bigger tyres will up your gearing so expect increased fuel consumption and also needing to slip the clutch much more when towing, hill starts and offroad.

OJ.
Thanks for all the info!

Not sure about how to trim an inner guard lining (or what it is) but i'm sure it'd be easy enough to remove the front mudflaps.

If i was to get a set of 33" tires, do you happen to know what the specs of the tire would have to be?
Old 19-10-17
Valued Member

Standard tyre diameter is 776mm and legally you can increase this by 50mm as long as the tyres do not rub on the body work, suspension, steering or anything else. So this means a max legal tyre size if they physically fit of 826mm (32.5").

Tyre size options, based on Cooper St Maxx specifications are;

In 16" so this would mean a rim change.
245/75R16 779mm dia. Rim 6.5"-8".
235/85R16 812mm dia. Rm 6"-7.5".
265/75R16 813mm dia. Rim 7"-8".
255/85R16 833mm dia. Rim 6.5"-8" (over max legal size).
285/75R16 836mm dia. Rim 7.5"-9" (over max legal size).

In 17";
265/65R17 776mm dia. Rim 7.5"-9.5".
245/70R17 780mm dia. Rim 6.5"-8"
265/70R17 809mm dia. Rim 7"-8.5"
275/70R17 817mm dia. Rim 7"-8".
285/70R17 838mm dia. Rim 7.5"-9". (over max legal size).

Modern 4wds are not like old live axle 4wds so the "big tyre" mod is fraught with legal and insurance implications as well as putting extra load on independent suspension components. Be careful what you wish for and the implications of such mods.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.

Last edited by old Jack; 20-10-17 at 08:02 AM.
Old 20-10-17

I run a set of standard 265/70/16 HT tyres in my normal use and have a second set of 265/75/16 km2 muddies for travelling outback and 4wding trips. My PC is a manual and chipped. I tow a 1T camper (with the km2s on) or a 1.5t boat (with the HTs on). Based on experience so far, I would not want to go any bigger than these. It was noticable how much the performance/fuel was affected towing the camper when I temporarily had the chip out. My current set up is legal and I will keep it that way.
Old 20-10-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
So i had a look at the suspension and it says Ironman Nitro?
Just wondering if the springs are yellow? If so there's a chance you've got an Ironman system fitted which is around a 30 to 40mm lift.

Cheers
Wes
2014 Auto PC Challenger with TJM Bullbar, HID converted IPFs, Uniden UHF, ARB Roof Rack with Kings Awning & LED, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 Copper ST Maxxs, 80AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco. Custom rear drawer system, 1/2 cargo barrier and tilt fridge slide. HR Towbar, Ultimate Suspension, Brown Davis LR tank, Piranha Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, SPV EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip

Next mods - Lockup Mate, LED Light Bar