• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

Open Tailgate From Inside ?

I'm spending a bit of time away in the NP and sleeping in the back.
    Climbing in and out through the Rr doors is awkward.
    Has anyone setup a method of opening the tailgate from the inside ?
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome
  • dean
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007

Nope.
    But you would reckon Mitsubishi might have thought of a way.
    Dean
    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• DougL3NC
      • Jan 2009
      • Charlotte, NC USA

They did in previous generations, but I have no clue why they left it off of ours!

Makes as much since as the pop-out rear side windows...the don't open far enough to even be useful!
      01 NM Exceed 3.5 (Montero Limited) 265/75/16 BFG A/T, OME HD w/ Nitrochargers, swaybar delete, Surco 40x60 roof basket, Cobra CB, Jerry Cans, soon to be ARB Bullbar

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Gooday Doug, funny you mention those pop out windows, I'm rapt in them in that they do their job beautifully. They are not a loading or access window, they are there simply as a drafter to allow flow through ventilation. Going back a lot of years, lots of vehicles had permanent open vents in the rear pillar to achieve the same drafting result.

But anyway, yeah, bugger about the rear door access. I wasn't aware that earlier models had that provision.
        I wonder if the bits from an earlier model could be adapted to the NP ?
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• sandgroper05
          • Apr 2009
          • Townsville

My wife got stuck in the back whilst fidling with the child restraint just before Christmas. We have a Milford Cargo Barrier so there was no way out. She was in there for about 15 min before I heard her calling.

I took a photo before I let her out. For some reason she didn't see the funny side!
          Pajero 05 NP DiD, Lovell HD Springs and Bilstein Shocks, ARB Bull Bar, ARB air compressor, Scorpion ATRs, roof rack, CTEK Dual Bty System, Black Widow Draws, Fox Wing Awning, Bushskinz sliders and guards, Tigerz 12000lb winch, Dropslide and Uniden UHF.

Comment

• gjh1967
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2007
            • Lake Macquarie

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I'm spending a bit of time away in the NP and sleeping in the back.
            Climbing in and out through the Rr doors is awkward.
            Has anyone setup a method of opening the tailgate from the inside ?
            Hi Lance

Why can't we devise a method that uses a metal fishing trace and plastic handle.
            Kind of like what new sedans have as an emergency boot release

Cheers Glenn
            2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Peakhurst, Sydney

Not all early models had a release!

On my NH shorty they never put the elongated knob on the sliding part of the interior latch, but by removing the plastic surround I can now operate it from inside until I attach the rectangular button I found (off a old stereo).
              As most (all?) of the newer Pajeros have central-locking, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to add a momentary-on rocker-switch across the connections of the lock-activated switch inside the rear-door. Would have to mount it in the door-trim so it won't be bumped easily (near the handle or inside the tool-kit?).

Cheers
              Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
              "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X