• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Is my auxiliary battery dead

Hello,

I have a dual battery setup. The auxilary battery is an exide ED50.

I bought the car second hand 1 year ago so I am not sure how old the battery is.

A few months ago we were camping and one of our friends took along an Engel fridge.

I put in in my car connected to the charged up second battery for 1 night, disconnected during the day and then connected again the next night.

The next day I checked the battery voltage using a multumeter and it was 9.x volts.

I have since removed it and charged it with my Ctek 5amp charger.

It dies after about 10 minutes when connected to a portable vacuum cleaner.

I have also tried charging on the recondition cycle with no change.

Is it dead?
    I have read something about trying to restore using epson salts. Is it worth a try?
    If it is dead, what are some other recommended alternatives (I have a redarc dual battery isolator).

Thanks for the feedback.

(I was going to throw it out, but thought I should ask about it first).
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Yes it sounds like it's dead.
    I've never tried the salts method.
    You could always charge it on the ctek again and take it somewhere like Supercheap, I think they do free load tests on batteries.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• jared01
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
      Yes it sounds like it's dead.
      I've never tried the salts method.
      You could always charge it on the ctek again and take it somewhere like Supercheap, I think they do free load tests on batteries.
      Thanks for the feedback.

I will consider giving it another charge and try to load test it
      2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• 2bad4u
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Perth, Western Australia

Got a similar problem at the moment with my Aux. I suspect it is a failing cell. It will charge (and hold it's charge) but hook anything up to it and it will die overnight. The other interesting thing is it will be sitting at 14.1ish Volts then suddenly drop to less then 13v causing the isolator to cut out. Most notably on hot days or bumpy roads. I originally suspected a bad earth but now think its a failing cell causing an internal short circuit (hence the sudden drop in voltage and heat affected).
        Warren
        2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
        2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X