Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 16-10-17
Valued Member

Default Rear dampeners (shock absorbers)

Looking at feed back and options for rear dampeners for a PC Challenger running heavy duty GVM +150 kg springs. The front Drummond Motor Sport struts work a treat but rather disappointed with the Bilsteins. They were marginal with mid rate rear springs but rather struggle controlling the heavier springs. One option is revalving them. Another is different dampeners.

Lot of hype on dampeners but rather hard to get sensible information. Dampeners are one thing lot of people on the forum have had issues with on long corrugated road runs. Not a fan of cynical marketing Mexican or Asian dampeners with trendy names, and wish to avoid foam dampeners as once they over heat they are "dead".

Koni's are adjustable but are not approved for use by Koni on the Challenger. Part of the reason is lack of clearance with the big bore. Koni's would likely need to be correctly valved and setup for the much higher spring rate I am using rather than the one setting suits all.

Sadly Drummond Motor Sport do not make a suitable rear dampeners. The ones I trailed were too long and were destroyed when acted as impromptu bump stops. But boy did they give a great sense of control.

So anyone had luck with dampeners using extra heavy duty springs?
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 16-10-17
Resident

I'm in the same spot - happy with the front, but rear is sadly under-damped.

I'm not convinced that a conventional shock will work for us - it may be OK on-road, but I suspect that the sheer amount of kinetic energy that we expect them to control is too much. If valving can provide adequate control I suspect the shock won't be able to dissipate enough heat to sustain the right level of performance. So I believe remote reservoir construction is required for heat dissipation.

I'm currently trying to have my MRRs re-built (hose wore through & they don't work at all well without oil). Having seen them apart, the valving is adjustable if you can obtain the correct size shims - but I don't know if Dobinson will sell shims, or if they'd insist on doing the rebuild. Shims are very close in dimensions to Fox shims, but not close enough (as I understand it).

Dobinson list a MRR for PB-PC Challenger, but I don't know what the valving will be like.

King shock absorbers don't list a fitment for anything Mitsubishi, but they do have "build to order" specs for a Gen 3 & 4 Pajero (or Montero, in US speak). I'm not sure they'd have anything for a PB/PC Challenger.

I did notice they have a number of listings for a range of other brands of 4wd. If you can identify a fitment for another vehicle that will bolt in (right ends / lengths), it may be possible to have it re-valved to suit your application.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 16-10-17
Valued Member

Can you extend your rear bumpstops so you can use the Drummond shocks?
Old 16-10-17
Valued Member

I agree it will be a long research project to find alternatives. Sometime back I spoke to a dampener expert that was a Koni rebuilder. He when testing dampeners for a 4x4 racing team running in an unmodified class found gas dampeners built up a lot of heat until seals melted. A well designed oil dampener was the choice. He got Koni to release a truck dampener in lengths suitable for the Toyota 80 series as they on a trip to Australia finally understood thousand kilometres of corrugated destroyed standard European dampeners. He then spent a long time sorting out the valving. Sadly, the Koni 76 series is too big in the body to fit the Challenger.

Many people are running heavy duty rear springs so it makes no sense to valve for the standard rear spring as most chuck these away.

A remote reservoir dampener is the solution for the Challenger. Getting them is the battles. Not a fan of hoses as they fail. I like the Drummond integrated design.

Once again the battle is one to find or convince a company that the Challenger is a serious 4x4. I have written to King but not expecting much.

The ideal dampening rate is one where the vehicle just avoids losing height as it travels over bumps. If you get a greater rebound height than standard height then the dampener is not up to the job.

As mentioned all a dampener does is convert kenetic energy into heat. That means larger the fluid reserve greater the ability to cool.

Foam is useless in these conditions as once the dampener overheats it is dead. Something like a Bilstein design the gas heats up compressing the oil so it resists fading until the pressure forces past the seals or the seals melt.

The Koni expert maintains looking after the oil to stop is frothing is the secret so valve design is critical along with the amount of oil and the ability to get rid of the heat.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 17-10-17
Valued Member

Recommend speaking to Ultimate Suspension. I have very heavy rear springs and have had their shocks for a number of years now. They have done the job over thousands of kms of corrugated roads and tracks. I've done 135,000 in less than 4 years and these have been on for the majority of them.
Old 17-10-17
Valued Member

Oztec shocks

http://www.oztecsuspension.com.au/

Review;
https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear...s-product-test

Just set our car up with them and kings springs ... couldn't be happier
575mm front
590mm rear
NB no bullbar

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 17-10-17
Valued Member

Email sent to King Suspension (believed not related to Kings Springs) no response

I ruled out Drummond rear as they are a very long dampener and playing with changing bumpstops on the Challenger is not straight forward as you have rubber cones and bumpstops to worry about and limited ability to lift the rear end. Also, they foul on the brakelines. Also happy with DooSo as he is now, as has good rear height and suspension travel. Would not go any higher so all I could do is sacrifice suspension travel.

Koni do the 30 and 82 series but finding it dam hard to work out what is the difference. They have some rebound adjustment. They can be revalved as well. Rather kicking myself I did not first go with them.

OME are part of ARB and frankly I would like to avoid that company. Better to buy Monroes and replace frequently. Besides their remote reservoir as expected from ARB are not available for the Challenger (hint it is not a Toyota).

Rancho 5000x are an option. Much debate on them versus Bilsteins but they are not adjustable. They do claim to have larger oil capacity. Might be an option.

Bilsteins B46 which I have appear to develop leaks and rather underperform. Valving is wrong for heavy duty springs. Could get mine revalved but still have the issue on their ability to handle heat buildup.

So far nothing grabbing my fancy. The Koni 90 series is not available as likely too big in the bore to fit the Challenger. They would be great choice otherwise.

Might ring King direct rather than email again. Gut feeling is they probably do not do the Challenger.

As usual hard work to find better quality bits for a Challenger. I know through experience dig long and hard enough and eventually something great can be found.

Will check out littleriver's lead. Only thing might find they are merely a rebranded Monroe, not that is an issue if valved correctly for heavy duty springs.