• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

separating the tie rod joint to knuckle

I'm attempting to replace front drivers side wheel bearing at the moment. Trying to remove the knuckle.

I have brake caliper and rotor off. Having trouble getting the front ball ball joint for the tie rod off. Have taken the split pin and loosened the retainning nut off.

I've read other post where it has stated to seperate give the casting a hit with a hammer. How hard do you need to go and how hard is it okay for the steel hammer striking the casting?
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Originally posted by craka View Post
    ... How hard do you need to go and how hard is it okay for the steel hammer striking the casting?
    If you can apply some heat to the casting first with an oxy or something that helps – you need to give it a pretty good belt with the hammer – I use a brickies ‘lump hammer’. Also, you can buy a puller to assist – I’ve got them apart by putting tension on them with the puller then giving them a good belt with the hammer.

Getting those bloody tapered joints apart is always my least favourite part of doing that job.

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

I used to take these off on other cars using two hammers.

One pressed tightly on one side and a good knock with other hammer on the other side.

Hammers should be around the same size.

Puller and knock with hammer works better than above.

Hill
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Drewan
        • Apr 2017
        • Adelaide

X2 for puller wound up/tight ,followed buy a few "tapps"= 4 pound lump hammer and really give it some love
        Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• craka
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Newcastle (Newie)

Thanks for the replies.

What size puller will I need?

Don't you bugger up the rubber boot by using a puller?
          Last edited by craka; 23-09-17, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

What size puller will I need? Don't you bugger up the rubber boot by using a puller?
            You can get the puller arms under the rubber boot – by the way, you can buy new boots for the joints and replace them – they’re not expensive. This is the type of puller I’ve had the most luck with – Toledo brand, I think.

Geoff
            Attached Files
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• bazzook
              • Sep 2009

Use a large screwdriver to lever the rods apart then hit ball joint with the hammer. Usually pops apart , easy

Comment

• craka
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Newcastle (Newie)

Thanks for the help guys, I grabbed a pitman arm puller this morning and have just now got the knuckle removed.

However now in the quandary of how to remove the 4 bolts on the back of the knuckle? I unfortunately did not think of it until now and I don't have a vice or workbench to hold it whilst I try to undo it with a socket.

Comment

• craka
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Newcastle (Newie)

Thanks for the help guys, I grabbed a pitman arm puller this morning and have just now got the knuckle removed.

However now in the quandary of how to remove the 4 bolts on the back of the knuckle? I unfortunately did not think of it until now and I don't have a vice or workbench to hold it whilst I try to undo it with a socket.

I broke the piggy bank some more and got a 17mm impact socket and used the impact gun. Took a bit of convincing but bolts loosened up in the end.

Not sure if a may have busted the lower ball joint though? I used the pitman arm puller on it, and if I grab the stub I can spin it around.

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

Not sure if a may have busted the lower ball joint though? I used the pitman arm puller on it, and if I grab the stub I can spin it around.
                    You wouldn’t have broken it with the puller – if it is spinning easily it is probably stuffed and needs replacing anyway. It would be a good time to do it as you have the whole thing apart – only a couple of bolts to undo and it is off.

Geoff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X