• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bungee
    • Mar 2008

Removing Rear Side Panels

Hi All

Has anybody removed the panels in the rear cargo area. I want to fit a plug for my fridge next to the existing socket, or, wire the existing socket up to my second battery. If you have removed this panel what was involved?

Also, I read in another post somewhere there are some spare wires running from the footwell to the rear, has anyone used these for a waeco fridge?

thanks

Bungee
    Bungee

2007 'envy green' NS Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB Bar, Stebel Air Horn, Lightforce 170's, Traxide Dual Battery System, Advanti RIOT wheels with 265/70/17 BFG AT KO's, GME radio, OME Suspension Lift and a very long wish list...
  • rt1
    • Feb 2008
    • Brisbane

I haven't removed the internal panels but I had to replace one of them. From memory, it was attached by standard interior trim clips. Should be fairly easy to pull off.

Comment

• Tom80
      • Dec 2007

you have to remove the rear seat carpet panel, under there you will find two screws on the forward side, undo these this will allow that hard platic edge to be lifted, this will allow you to lift the edge of the carpet, under the carpet there are 4 screws from memory, undo these. under the rear side cargo tie down, you can lift up the cover and undo the bolt there, then lever up the little carpet panel (standard trim clips) this wil reveal a couple of screws - undo. lever of the very rear trim clip (the interior of the bumper area) and pull off the panel going accross the rear door area. you then need to lever off the step panels on the rear passenger door floor (standard clips). next you need to remove the top panel (the window one) by pulling it has about 8 - 10 body trim clips holding it in, this will then reveal a couple more screws, once these are done you can remove the panel.

I found this out when putting in my electric brake controller, the intsructions were left in the car from the towbar install, it showed how to get the panel off.

I've just put through 50 amp wiring for the caravan battery and got around this by putting along the edge of the panel under the carpet, my plan for a fridge outlet is to do the same and access the side through the panels for removing the seats. Basically sticking your hand up there and feeding the wire through, it will be a lot easier to do than removing the whole panel.
      Hope this help.
      Cheers Tom.
      2007 Black NS DiD Pajero LWB.
      ARB air compressor, Dual batteries (Redarc)
      ARB Bar, Warn Winch, Uniden UHF015sx, tow bar 2" lift lightforce XGT's.

Comment

• Mike DiD
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007

Removing the upper panel that surrounds the window is a lot easier - especially if you only want to lift the lower part and leave the top part attached.

It just pulls outwards at the lower edge.
        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Bungee
          • Mar 2008

Thanks guys, I was worried about removing the top panel because the side curtain airbag is in there. Does that cause any concern?
          Bungee

2007 'envy green' NS Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB Bar, Stebel Air Horn, Lightforce 170's, Traxide Dual Battery System, Advanti RIOT wheels with 265/70/17 BFG AT KO's, GME radio, OME Suspension Lift and a very long wish list...

Comment

• dolphin
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008

for the ease of all, i would use a 2 to 1 plug socket rather than pull the side covers to bits.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Mike DiD
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bungee View Post
              Thanks guys, I was worried about removing the top panel because the side curtain airbag is in there. Does that cause any concern?
              The side curtain airbag is behind the ceiling lining. Beware aware of any yellow ducting - it holds the airbag wiring.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Tom80
                • Dec 2007

my recommendation would be to put the wiring under the foot panels and along the edge (under carpet) of the rear cargo area and then feed it up by hand through the rear seat pivot access panels to a hole you have drilled in the panel for the fridge plug.

Cheers Tom
                2007 Black NS DiD Pajero LWB.
                ARB air compressor, Dual batteries (Redarc)
                ARB Bar, Warn Winch, Uniden UHF015sx, tow bar 2" lift lightforce XGT's.

Comment

• Bungee
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                  for the ease of all, i would use a 2 to 1 plug socket rather than pull the side covers to bits.
                  Not sure what you mean, I am running a Waeco fridge and it needs 2 things a standard power outlet cannot deliver.

1. Constant power (rather than accessories) I have a dual battery for this purpose
                  2. Decent wires, the Waeco doesnt respond well to voltage drop. In fact, the weaco will go into error mode and will stop working if the voltage drops due to insufficient wires.

I am assuming you mean to get a double adapter... hopefully you can see why that wont work.
                  Bungee

Comment

• robsrock
                    • Jul 2007

Not sure what you mean, I am running a Waeco fridge and it needs 2 things a standard power outlet cannot deliver.

1. Constant power (rather than accessories) I have a dual battery for this purpose
                    2. Decent wires, the Waeco doesnt respond well to voltage drop. In fact, the weaco will go into error mode and will stop working if the voltage drops due to insufficient wires.

I am assuming you mean to get a double adapter... hopefully you can see why that wont work.
                    Bungee - I am chasing the same issue - how have you got on with the extra socket - I was thinking about going under the car then up through on of the gromets to the rear - although this does not solve the issue of replacing the old outlet with a heavier one.

I am a little unsure if i want to pull a two week old car apart but we are heading off camping soon and the fridge outlet does not cut it.
                    advice welcome.

Robsrock

Comment

• Bungee
                      • Mar 2008

I have installed my plug from the dual battery. I ran the cable through the firewall, then under the kick panels to the rear. I removed the rear side panel to install the new plug. Works well and looks factory fitted. If you want some help PM me...
                      Bungee

Comment

• robsrock
                        • Jul 2007

I am looking for some thoughts from those sparkies or seasoned campers out there on a particilar set up for my second battery and fridge.

I have an Ns exceed Did - which has a small space in the engine bay for second battery so i have decided to go with a deep cycle agm - 100ah fitted in the third row of seats bay in the rear.I will be a portabel arrangement in a battery box.

I also need the ability ,in the car and if the battery is not there, to have the waeco connected and receiving enough current - as the current cig set up in the rear does not cut it due to voltage loss.

I was looking to see how others have managed this with a smart soleniod to get charge to the battery - if, without the second battery ,and the car switched off , allow a current draw by the fridge .
                        I was thinking of a coupel of options

Install a Redarc solenoid which has the override switch
                        Run a second cable to the rear but have it directly off the main battery.
                        Upgrade the current cig lighter socket and cable.- but this does not help manage the requirement to have frideg power with engine off.

recommedations welcome

Robsrock

Comment

• pslambe
                          Retired Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by Tom80 View Post
                          you have to remove the rear seat carpet panel, under there you will find two screws on the forward side, undo these this will allow that hard platic edge to be lifted, this will allow you to lift the edge of the carpet, under the carpet there are 4 screws from memory, undo these. under the rear side cargo tie down, you can lift up the cover and undo the bolt there, then lever up the little carpet panel (standard trim clips) this wil reveal a couple of screws - undo. lever of the very rear trim clip (the interior of the bumper area) and pull off the panel going accross the rear door area. you then need to lever off the step panels on the rear passenger door floor (standard clips). next you need to remove the top panel (the window one) by pulling it has about 8 - 10 body trim clips holding it in, this will then reveal a couple more screws, once these are done you can remove the panel.

I found this out when putting in my electric brake controller, the intsructions were left in the car from the towbar install, it showed how to get the panel off.

I've just put through 50 amp wiring for the caravan battery and got around this by putting along the edge of the panel under the carpet, my plan for a fridge outlet is to do the same and access the side through the panels for removing the seats. Basically sticking your hand up there and feeding the wire through, it will be a lot easier to do than removing the whole panel.
                          Hope this help.
                          Cheers Tom.
                          Tom.

I don't suppose you could photo/scan those interior trim removal instructions could you? A few people want to know how to pull the interior panels without stuffing up anything.

Phil in Sydney
                          Silver 08 NS Dieso DiD Auto "Platinum Edition": ARB Bullbar, dual battery and compressor: Airtek snorkel: Milford Cargo Barrier: GME TX3220: 40mm OME lift & OME gas shocks: Engel: BFG's: Under body guards and rear bar from Bushskinz. Triple battery setup with AGM under rear floor charged with Redarc SmartStart DC-DC charger: Home made removeable drawer unit: DIG Options in-dash Infotainment, GPS and reversing camera unit. Long Range Fuel Tank.

Comment

• CeeJay
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • Samford, QLD

Originally posted by robsrock View Post
                            I am looking for some thoughts from those sparkies or seasoned campers out there on a particilar set up for my second battery and fridge.

I have an Ns exceed Did - which has a small space in the engine bay for second battery so i have decided to go with a deep cycle agm - 100ah fitted in the third row of seats bay in the rear.I will be a portabel arrangement in a battery box.

I also need the ability ,in the car and if the battery is not there, to have the waeco connected and receiving enough current - as the current cig set up in the rear does not cut it due to voltage loss.

I was looking to see how others have managed this with a smart soleniod to get charge to the battery - if, without the second battery ,and the car switched off , allow a current draw by the fridge .
                            I was thinking of a coupel of options

Install a Redarc solenoid which has the override switch
                            Run a second cable to the rear but have it directly off the main battery.
                            Upgrade the current cig lighter socket and cable.- but this does not help manage the requirement to have frideg power with engine off.

recommedations welcome

Robsrock
                            I got a 90AH AGM battery into a Piranha tray in the engine bay, used a Redarc and ran two heavy duty circuits to the rear under the step trims and carpets, so I still get to use the 3rd row seat well for tools and recovery gear.

Charlie

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• Gregzzzz
                              • Apr 2009
                              • Blue Mtns, NSW

Interior trim removal

Originally posted by pslambe View Post
                              Tom.

I don't suppose you could photo/scan those interior trim removal instructions could you? A few people want to know how to pull the interior panels without stuffing up anything.

Phil in Sydney
                              Hi, here are some pages from the towbar instructions showing the panel removal (hopefully I have attached them successfully).
                              Some notes. In step 4 you probably don't need to take out all the screws, just the ones towards rear of vehicle and the Right Hand Side ones....just so you can get access to the lower trim screws underneath on RHS.
                              In step 8, you probably don't need to take the upper trim all the way off (or the seat belts all the way out), 'just' unclip the lower section of the upper trim so you can get to the lower trim.
                              When you go to put the lower trim back again, remember to connect up the power socket first, although you can with difficulty reach it through the 3rd row seat holder hole. (from experience!)
                              Attached Files
                              Gone: NS GLX DiD Auto.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X