• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coughy
    Valued Member
    • May 2014
    • Redlands Brisbane QLD

transfer ratios??

Can any of the brains trust pls help me im tring to find out what the transfer ratio is on the pb in manual states 1.0 high and 1.9 in low???
    what does this mean
    im looking at a car online Not a challenger and it has a 262.1 ratio in low and a 1.1 in high

so high is about the same but it is the low range im looking at pls

im tring to compare the challenger to this car

cheers for the help in advance
    My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
    New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

High range 1:1 means the output shaft turns once for every one turn of the input shaft.

In low range, 1:1.9 means the output shaft turns once for every 1.9 turns of the input shaft.

A low range of 1:262 would mean the output shaft turns once for ever 262 turns of the input shaft - which must be wrong. I suspect it's 1:2.62, or the output shaft turns once for every 2.62turns of the input shaft.

Alternatively, actual road speed at 1000rpm in high range would require 1900rpm in low range (1.9 ratio) or 2620 rpm (2.62 ratio).

I think a 2.62:1 low range ratio is pretty good. Mitsubishi have finally gone to 2.56(ish), I suspect your 2.62 is a Toyota? Aftermarket reduction gears available for Mitsubishi are 2.7:1 (Ent has these in his Challenger), 2.85:1 (I have a set of these in my now redundant Gen 2 transfer case) or 3.15:1 (which I have in my NT, and is probably too low for an "all round" vehicle). Jeep produced a Rubicon version of the Wrangler with 4:1 low range - that's what I would call a crawler gear.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• coughy
      Valued Member
      • May 2014
      • Redlands Brisbane QLD

Cheers m8 that makes more sense the ratio i said is a new my18 lsx Colorado that is the spec sheet they give me
      I thought 262.1 was wrong but yer 2.62 sounds much better as the ratio in the chally is crap and the 4wd low i thought was useless so 2.62 sounda good

Cheers for the reply m8
      My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by coughy View Post
        Cheers m8 that makes more sense the ratio i said is a new my18 lsx Colorado that is the spec sheet they give me
        I thought 262.1 was wrong but yer 2.62 sounds much better as the ratio in the chally is crap and the 4wd low i thought was useless so 2.62 sounda good

Cheers for the reply m8
        Also need to consider the diff ratio as more and more modern 4wds are running taller diff ratios of 3.6:1 or less so this can negate any gain in transfer case reduction.

To get the real first gear low range ratio you need to know the first gear ratio, transfer reduction gear ratio and the diff ratio.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• coughy
          Valued Member
          • May 2014
          • Redlands Brisbane QLD

so the
          6-speed automatic
          1st 4.06
          2nd 2.37
          3rd 1.55
          4th 1.16
          5th 0.85
          6th 0.67
          Reverse 3.2
          Final drive ratio 3.42
          with transfer of
          high 1.1
          low 2.62:1
          so after that oj i take it the diff is 3.42 like you said but the transfer is 2.62:1

where as the pb challenger gear ratios are
          5 speed auto slipalot sludge box nissan failure reject transmission TURD box
          first 3.789
          second 2.057
          third 1.421
          fourth 1.000
          fifth 0.731
          reverse 3.865
          Final Gear Ratio 3.917

and transfer of
          1.1 in high
          1.9:1 in low

ive had a few 4x4s and this in the pb low range is crap as most have stated so im looking into some different things at the moment

i havent driven this configuration but to me looks much better than the pb so far for driving in low range

am i correct in saying it is better than the pb ratios??

some one with the more skilled mind pls enlighten me ???

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

According to your figures.

Challenger final drive in 4llc around 28 to 1.

PS final drive in 4llc around 36 to 1.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

With a 3.42 diff ratio and 0.67:1 6th gear I'm not sure how useable that 6th gear will be in high range.

The engine has a decent amount of torque, but peak torque starts at 2000rpm - that will be well over 100km/h in high range. I'm guessing that open road cruising will see it slipping the torque converter in 6th, or dropping back to 5th.

It will be handy to extend top speed in low range.

Edit: found an on-line review to read up on it - I do like the sound of the engine.

However, I want to give full marks to the author for this:

Originally posted by carsguide
              With a 2121kg kerb weight the Colorado is a genuine ‘one tonner’ with an impressive 1029kg payload rating.

It’s also rated to tow up to 3500kg of braked trailer, but with a GCM of 6000kg that would leave a legal payload of only 379kg. And at least 300kg of that would be used up by the tow-ball download, leaving enough payload capacity for just the driver - and a fairly light one at that.
              The re-engineered and facelifted MY17 Holden Colorado is such an improvement over the 2012 original, that in many ways it feels like a different vehicle. It's now one of the best all-rounders.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• coughy
                Valued Member
                • May 2014
                • Redlands Brisbane QLD

thanks nj was a good read
                it states
                a 2.62:1 low-range reduction and low 36.4:1 crawl ratio seems good and a refined new 2.8 duramax v2 mmm the plot thickening

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X