• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulBKal
    • Jan 2012
    • Kalgoorlie, WA

Originally posted by Nab View Post
    As above, if you forget to turn off the ASC on the sand you will know it straight away. TC has never been an issue for me on soft sand, the Pajero is better than my old Patrol was on sand.

I ran into this problem years ago when I first got my NS and almost took it back to the dealer but got out the Operators Manual and found it has a section on this precise thing at page 4-65 which describes the problem and tells you to turn off the ASC by pressing the ASC button (lower dash left of the steering column) in sand, mud or soft snow. This has been a regular practice of mine for the past 6 or 7 years that I've owned this wonderful vehicle.

The problem described by the original poster would have been fixed either by pressing the ASC button, choosing 4LLc or engaging the Rear Diff Lock (if fitted).
    Paul B, Kalgoorlie
    07 DID Auto, Rear locker, Alum BB, Dualmate dual battery system, UHF, Tracklander rack & Ironman Awning
    There but for the grace of God go I

Comment

• PaulBKal
      • Jan 2012
      • Kalgoorlie, WA

The other thing to the above, having now been able to re-read the original post which clearly states that he usually does turn the ASC off on sand, is that it's quite easy to not quite turn the ASC off, or to turn it back on inadvertently. You have to make sure the ASC off light is still showing on the dash. Maybe that's the issue here - it's certainly caught me out more than once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Paul B, Kalgoorlie
      07 DID Auto, Rear locker, Alum BB, Dualmate dual battery system, UHF, Tracklander rack & Ironman Awning
      There but for the grace of God go I

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
        You can manually turn off stability control but the traction control can only be turned off when RD is engaged, if the vehicle came with it. Otherwise you will need my TC off patch loom.
        i have already got one.What i NEED are some switches
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• DrewW
          • Nov 2011
          • Gold Coast

Thanks for all the input everybody - trouble is I don't appear any closer to a solution than I was when I originally posted, I was in 4LLc, i did have ASC turned off, and the same thing occurred on two consecutive days. Am I right in concluding that I somehow have to disable traction control - or only use high range in ultra soft sand?
          NS SWB 3.2 DiD Auto. 2" lift, King springs, Bilstein shocks, Bushkinz bash plates, Airtek snorkel, BRC breathers,TJM Bullbar, 12000lb Grande Winch,Tyredog TPMS,Nomad valve body & TC lockup kit

Comment

• vladguan
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by DrewW View Post
            Thanks for all the input everybody - trouble is I don't appear any closer to a solution than I was when I originally posted, I was in 4LLc, i did have ASC turned off, and the same thing occurred on two consecutive days. Am I right in concluding that I somehow have to disable traction control - or only use high range in ultra soft sand?
            Disabling ASC does not disable TC. Disabling TC will disable the ASC as the ASC relies on the TC amongst other sensors etc.
            Please call me Vlad.
            -----------------------
            MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

DrewW, when it was doing its thing, were the 4 green dash lights flashing away accompanied by the abs sound?
              1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
              1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
              2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• DrewW
                • Nov 2011
                • Gold Coast

Hi NJV6 - yes to all four lights flashing, no to any sound from ASC
                NS SWB 3.2 DiD Auto. 2" lift, King springs, Bilstein shocks, Bushkinz bash plates, Airtek snorkel, BRC breathers,TJM Bullbar, 12000lb Grande Winch,Tyredog TPMS,Nomad valve body & TC lockup kit

Comment

• DrewW
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Gold Coast

Correction - no sound from ABS

Comment

• NJV6
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • New Zealand

Sounds to me like the traction control is your problem. I'd be trying it with the abs fuse removed and see if anything changes.
                    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• vladguan
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Adelaide

I was going up a sandy incline at Coffin Bay National Park in 4LLC and traction controll kept on interfering with the front wheels. Turned on RD which disables traction control and no more start/stop of the front wheels.
                      Please call me Vlad.
                      -----------------------
                      MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Jimbo2
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • Bendigo

This topic has been discussed in a few earlier threads, one of which I initiated, it contains a few clues as to what to do, I cant find the really useful threads at the moment. My view after limited experimenting is that its worth disabling all the smarts on soft sand (done by tricking the system into thinking the diff lock is engaged)
                        2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• conquistador
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • sth east queensland

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                          DrewW, when it was doing its thing, were the 4 green dash lights flashing away accompanied by the abs sound?
                          We are not talking about normal operation of traction control system here are we? In 4LLc if your lifting wheels on inclines the traction will shunt around (to the point were you might feel like your temporary going backwards) as the Traction control catches up to grab a spinning wheel. There is a little lag. Bit of left foot braking seems to smooth it out.

I thought stability turned off in 4LLC?
                          There are two icons on the dash advising when stability control is active (it will flutter) and when it's turned off.

Could it be that on super powdery sand the high torque of 4LLc and a tightened up valve body on the auto helps the wheels dig holes faster than the traction control can keep up?
                          Last edited by conquistador; 10-10-17, 11:00 AM. Reason: Word salad

Comment

• vladguan
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
                            We are not talking about normal operation of traction control system here are we? In 4LLc if your lifting wheels on inclines the traction will shunt around (to the point were you might feel like your temporary going backwards) as the Traction control catches up to grab a spinning wheel. There is a little lag. Bit of left foot braking seems to smooth it out.

I thought stability turned off in 4LLC?
                            There are two icons on the dash advising when stability control is active (it will flutter) and when it's turned off.

Could it be that on super powdery sand the high torque of 4LLc and a tightened up valve body on the auto helps the wheels dig holes faster than the traction control can keep up?
                            Stability control may be turned off in 4LLC but traction control definitely is not turned off unless RD is engaged.
                            Please call me Vlad.
                            -----------------------

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X