• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

I've had a bow shackle (3.25T) break a tow point in a dunnydoor stuck in sand. (Long story). It was light tug but the shackle went straight through both panels of the tailgate (Hilux) and put a good sized bent in a 9kg gas bottle.
    From then a lot more thought was put into all recovery's. To the point if my input was just to make a call and drive away.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
      I've had a bow shackle (3.25T) break a tow point in a dunnydoor stuck in sand. (Long story). It was light tug but the shackle went straight through both panels of the tailgate (Hilux) and put a good sized bent in a 9kg gas bottle.
      From then a lot more thought was put into all recovery's. To the point if my input was just to make a call and drive away.
      Hey Goodsy,

Where the hell did you surface from ? Good to hear from you mate.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
        Hey Goodsy,

Where the hell did you surface from ? Good to hear from you mate.

Cheers

Geoff
        Have not had a good run of late. Will not discuss here but on the way back slowly.
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Wazzap
          • Sep 2015
          • NSW

Originally posted by Chris.
          I was a bit disappointed with this article, I was expecting something along the lines of their comparison on the snatch straps, this comparison only compared 3 shackles.
          Completely agree, considering how cheap shackles are the chances of finding vastly different breaking points depending on how they're made, I think the fact they only tried 3 different types of shackles a let down. They should have tried some cheap rated shackles to see if it's worth paying for the name brand, or if all rated shackles have the same safety factor.

Comment

• symo
            • Jan 2012
            • Brisvegas

Would have expected more shackles tested ( local vs overseas made ) and also wonder what the results would be if a sudden load was applied to the shackle like a real life recovery rather than a slow increase as per the test.

Comment

• Ent
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2014
              • Tasmania

The more the merry on shackle testing but good to see they tested a soft shackle. I use 4.5 tonne steel shackles but have a couple of soft shackles. I am curious though on the force exerted during a snatch. My Mythbuster watching suggests with car myths they struggle to get a cable to hold together with such things as ripping a diff out and doing a Batman style turn.

4.5 tonne shackle is likely a lot tougher than what it is attached to so the issue is this heavy blighter heading at you at high speed. As posted if it can go through panel steel with ease then a sheet of glass and head rest not much protection.

Feel I might have to visit a climbing shop for a safety rope strong enough to catch the shackle. Or maybe use as mention three safety blankets. One at each end with one in the middle.

But very interested in safe recovery speed with a never to be exceeded speed. Something tells me that speed will be relatively slow compared to what it is possible to accelerate up to in ten metres.
              2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

I watched a 3.75 tonne shackle load tested to fail years ago.
                I failed at just over 30 tonne!
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• stumagoo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Perth WA S.O.R

Yep pretty unimpressed with that article as well. That Bunnings shackle is really got to be some sort of joke, I doubt it would even fit over a snatchstrap and the fact that it held 4 tonnes makes me actually impressed by its performance. Something that looks like a 6mm elcheapo Dshackle held 4 tonnes..... totally will continue to use them at home for the basic crap I use them for now.....

Yes I have a proper rated shackle for my snatch strap as well, but I think that article is more of an advert for TJM than a true comparison of shackles. after all they only tested 1 true Recovery shackle.
                  1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                  *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                  1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Lost1
                    • Dec 2013
                    • Melbourne

This story is a sad, but timely reminder recovery is a very dangerous aspect of the pass time we enjoy. When your recovering a vehicle take your time and methodically work your way through what you are about to do. If need be take control of what is happening before someone turns a stupid decision into dangerous action. The safety of those around you are dependent on your good decisions.
                    09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                      Have not had a good run of late. Will not discuss here but on the way back slowly.
                      Good to see you back on here anyway, mate. All the best.

Cheers

Geoff
                      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X